Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Winchendon, MA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Laraba
Member #

Em & Ry here. After our first adventure we got to thinking, what are some fun things you guys do once camp is set up and your just hanging around? We searched the forum and didnt see much of anything. For us we played some cards and made some s'mores. However we would like new ideas. So what's your favorite past time once your committed to staying in camp for the night?
Adventure on!
Em & Ry

Reactions: Scout

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Fishing (if near a fishing hole)
Shooting (if in free country)
Reading (I think that's still legal most places)
Savoring adult beverages
Hunting for scorpions with a black light (if in desert country)
Patching up what we broke on the rig
Exporing the area around camp
Talking

Those are what come to mind at the moment.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Mississippi marbles is a simple dice game.
Cards against humanity if no kids or ''bleeding heart'' types are around.
Shower, swim, run around in the rain naked. Ya'll are stinky.
Find some wildlife.
Have a laugh at the broken chevy, jeep, landrover.
Skip dinner and cook hotdogs, smores, mashed potatoes, over the campfire.

Usually if there's more time in the evening after a shower, dinner, and campfire, then the day was a failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: grubworm

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I solo camp most of the time and spend evenings organizing gear for the next day or next adventure; experimenting with new fire-making techniques; working on future articles about off-grid living, adventuring, and for The Roaddude Food Cookbook; read a lot; go for walks, bike rides, and canoe paddles exploring in the dark whether full moon or no moon; and set up and take a shit load of night sky images when I'm in the right parts of the country.

If I have someone camping with me, there's no dearth of interesting conversation around a campfire that lasts long into the night.

The more you get out here, Em & Ry, the more comfortable you will be out here and will find naturally interesting things to occupy your time so much you'll wish you could stay longer to do it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Usually just sitting around a fire and talking, without any digital distractions, occupies our evenings outdoors. Sometimes we listen to some music but more often we just enjoy the sounds of the outdoors.

Of course if we don’t want to talk, there’s a great way to pass the time, and it only requires one sleeping bag!

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
100% to almost everything said here so far. We have gotten more into birds, largely driven by my wife. She has several feeders in the yard st our house and it’s been interesting to us to observe the various behaviours of the birds.

That continues when we are on a trip, but with very different birds. Trying to ID a new bird and then studying its behaviour to see how it interacts with the world is, for us, endless fun.

Reactions: Road

Ry+EmAdventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Winchendon, MA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Laraba
Member #

Thanks guys! We did spend time talking, enjoying the crackle of the fire, and watching the stars and moon. The site we went to on our first trip only had 5 spaces and when we showed up at 4ish all but one was taken and the rule on the board coming in said that the camp site must be occupied the first night so we didnt do much exploring just around our site. We are currently trying to get Ry's brother to come with us next time and hes a big guitar player so he will have plenty of live music!
Adventure on!
Em & Ry

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

... the rule on the board coming in said that the camp site must be occupied the first night so we didnt do much exploring just around our site...
Sounds like you'll have a good time with the guitar player along!

The "camp site must be occupied the first night" usually means they want to know you actually showed up and are using the site, not that you have to stay physically on the site without leaving all night. A tent or chairs and grill or vehicle while you're out walking, anything that shows the site is being used usually suffices.

A lot of people don't show up and don't cancel, or book an extra day or two ahead to save a spot.

Good luck with your next adventure.

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

Depending on where we are.
Paddle canoes
Bike on the trails
Read
Cook
Our son draws and creates things from the stuff he finds on hikes.
Games
And we always have a couple different kites with us. They are something I have carried for years when paddling or backpacking, the soft parafoils take up little room and weigh next to nothing.

Ry+EmAdventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Winchendon, MA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Laraba
Member #

Sounds like you'll have a good time with the guitar player along!

The "camp site must be occupied the first night" usually means they want to know you actually showed up and are using the site, not that you have to stay physically on the site without leaving all night. A tent or chairs and grill or vehicle while you're out walking, anything that shows the site is being used usually suffices.

A lot of people don't show up and don't cancel, or book an extra day or two ahead to save a spot.

Good luck with your next adventure.
That's good to know! Like we said before we are a little green at this. I'm an outdoorsman and hunt and such but never really camped like this! Thanks for the insite!
Adventure on!
Em & Ry

Reactions: Road

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Pitch washers
Ride the mountain bike if I brought it with me.
Fish/swim
play on the ham radio
hike
Just sit and relax..... life is busy, sometimes it's nice to just sit in the peace and quiet and enjoy the view.
converse with others that are with me.....or even when I am by myself. Talking with yourself will generally keep others out of your camp :tearsofjoy:
If with the family will bring a couple small kids games, send them on a scavenger hunt, etc.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

We mainly kayak & bike but when the kids were younger I used to always throw a football in the car/trailer to play catch with. I'm too old for this now and my wife never was very good at it anyway (lol). My brother & I used to bring our lacrosse sticks along. We grew up playing so we were fine. It was always fun to watch the guys we camped with give it a try ... although they lost a lot of balls.