Fullsize truck pulling a trailer or a 4x4 camper pulling a jeep?

• HTML tutorial

arupp

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
R
Member #

I have been trying to figure out which way to go, I am finishing nursing school and want to take contracts across the US so I can ski/hunt/fish and obviously camp all over. I can see the pros of having both a capable truck and a trailer to live in, be able to drop it and drive, but also see then advantage of having something like an earth roamer or another expedition vehicle .....how ever it would be a DIY as that is not in my price range. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'm fresh out of decent Jeep trails. What's left is just a loop. So tons of highway and fullsize friendly roads. Some single track and overgrown trails for dirtbikes.

Advantage truck and trailer for me. Sure a motorhome pulling a Jeep, means that the Jeep is more capable of trails than a fullsize. But a fullsize can carry bikes. Not to mention that a complete 8' bed is great storage for anything (anyone?) muddy.

I'd go with a Ford F350 Tremor CC, 7.3l, 4.30, 8' bed, SRW and an Outdoor RV 23' travel trailer. A Suzuki DRZ400s costs as little as a decent suspension kit on a Jeep, and will waste them on nearly any trail.

.......and full timing, really needs to be plusher and nicer than your average overlanding setup.

Last edited:

arupp

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
R
Member #

I wasn't thinking about jeep trails as much as I was thinking ease of finding a place to stay while I'm in that area cheap, preferably for free. I just had it in my head that a ski resort parking lot might be more receptive to an earth roamer type vehicle that moves for 12 hours every few days to go to work and parks in a different location rather than a trailer that sits there full time.

I have to do some research on the Tremor CC, I have never heard of that. I recently sold my KTM Duke and I'm glad I don't have it anymore, I'll pass on the bike.:sunglasses:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'm getting a slide in camper so that I can leave Friday night for scuba diving on Saturday. Park on site, at a rest stop, Walmart etc.etc. Same for model car racing. Tracks are 1.5 hours away. I hate driving 3 hours round trip on a Saturday. Would rather leave midnight Friday and crash for the night.

Overlanding will just be a secondary function, sadly. Although, some of the areas that I go to, some would consider ''overlanding''. Long drive, no pavement to park on. Close enough.

I'm considering a TT instead because most of those sites have tons of empty parking.

When I was on Florida, camping was as expensive as renting a nice apartment. Fulltiming in a trailer was more expensive, even though I was on'y there a few years. So research camp spot costs before buying anything.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I did Moab last year taking the Cherokee ('96 XJ) in an enclosed cargo trailer which I towed with my truck ('95 Cummins dually). That was luxury for us.

I set up the cargo trailer as a base camp. I have E-track rails down both sides. Using clip-in sockets that allow attachment of 2x4s across the trailer I created temporary bunks once the Jeep was out. I also strung a hammock between bunks. The bunks also served as kitchen counters. Fancy accomodations by our standards.

The truck and trailer stayed put and we ran trails with the XJ for several days. Didn't break anything, but it was nice to know that if I did I still had a way to get everything back home.

arupp

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
R
Member #

I think am thinking about going with an International CV Crew Cab 4x4 with a flat bed. That Tremor or the GMC AT4 is so much money, for all the bells and whistles. Seems so much money but I dont think I could justify it. The CV is the same as the Chevy 4500 and can get it for 45-55k. Its a simple truck but its a lot of truck

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I think am thinking about going with an International CV Crew Cab 4x4 with a flat bed. That Tremor or the GMC AT4 is so much money, for all the bells and whistles. Seems so much money but I dont think I could justify it. The CV is the same as the Chevy 4500 and can get it for 45-55k. Its a simple truck but its a lot of truck
How mobil do you want to be?
How comfortable do you want to be?
Is it just you or do you have someone with you?
Where do you want to explore? In other words, Jeep trails or forest service roads?

I have narrowed it down to three options for myself...

Full size base model F350 with 7.3 gas motor and a 4 wheel camper. Or...

Same truck with a travel trailer built for off the grid situations. Or...

Keep my 4Runner that is already built, an buy a smaller travel trailer that it can handle and build it for off the grid situations...

I already have a dual sport motorcycle that will be with me.

I am leaning towards one of the travel trailer options. When working an assignment I would collect the stipend and I would park the travel trailer at an RV resort, which are usually around $600 a month for free wifi, full hookups, and access to laundry services. In between assignments I would boon dock on BLM land for free. You have so many options, good luck with your choices.

Reactions: arupp

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
If you go woth a big CV or F550, F650, kind of thing. You can just put a camper box on the back of the truck. I think Bundutec can make a box.

arupp

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
R
Member #

How mobil do you want to be?
How comfortable do you want to be?
Is it just you or do you have someone with you?
Where do you want to explore? In other words, Jeep trails or forest service roads?

I have narrowed it down to three options for myself...

Full size base model F350 with 7.3 gas motor and a 4 wheel camper. Or...

Same truck with a travel trailer built for off the grid situations. Or...

Keep my 4Runner that is already built, an buy a smaller travel trailer that it can handle and build it for off the grid situations...

I already have a dual sport motorcycle that will be with me.

I am leaning towards one of the travel trailer options. When working an assignment I would collect the stipend and I would park the travel trailer at an RV resort, which are usually around $600 a month for free wifi, full hookups, and access to laundry services. In between assignments I would boon dock on BLM land for free. You have so many options, good luck with your choices.
I think a trailer is a good choice as well. I have a few months to figure it out, I appreciate all the input. I dont have any need to rock crawl or go up crazy jeep trails. The idea of the laundry and wifi is a good point. I hadn't figured out how id get that taken care of.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I think a trailer is a good choice as well. I have a few months to figure it out, I appreciate all the input. I dont have any need to rock crawl or go up crazy jeep trails. The idea of the laundry and wifi is a good point. I hadn't figured out how id get that taken care of.
Yeah when working an assignment I would want to make things as easy as possible while still saving most of the stipend. A lot of people take the housing which of course is the easiest, but they miss out on the stipend which is tax free. An you can live way cheaper than what the stipend is.

I was trying to figure out if I could only work two assignments a year and live super cheaply the other six months. Kind of like a semi retirement :) Six months on, six months off.

I think the people that take the housing usually have a house somewhere else in the country. I would do it like you are planning and bring my house with me. You can literally bank serious money by working in HCOL areas like California while living in an RV or van. By the way, California also allows you to park your RV on the streets and sleep there. This is another potential option for you...build an all wheel drive van and live out of it. Get a gym membership for showers, etc. As mentioned, so many options. I think it all boils down to how comfortable you want to be. Please post what you decide cuz I am still researching also.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I guess I was comparing it to the 72k price tag the 2500 Duramax AT4 I looked at
wow, 72K is a lot for just that. i bought a brand new tundra double cab 4x4tss, a brand new camp trailer, kayaks, tons of gear for the camper including a 200w solar set up and bought a nice tool box for the tundra as well as a leveling kit and 34" Toyo tires...and still spent less than the cost of that Duramax. if i wanted used, i could probably trim another 15-20k off that.

Reactions: Wallygator