Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Has anyone experimented with indoor garden setups in their fulltime rigs? They do use power but nothing beats the ability to grow your own veggies and herbs. Would like to hear any experience or thoughts that people have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baipin

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

IIRC, there were North American nomadic tribes that would plant things along their route so that when they returned to that campground there would be useful herbs the next time they were there.

Buy an acre here and there and go about it the proper way. I would not recommend guerrilla gardening as Texas has gotten a few invasive species that are toxic to wildlife as a result.

I have also known RVers that had potted plants but they’d stay in a place for months as a time.

Otherwise pick a lane between homesteading and traveling. That’s one of the prices you pay to see the world but at least you can always support local economies by buying fresh, locally sourced goods.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Not sure how this works in the US, but I know a few people - notably, a couple whose been at this for a decades - who buy and stake claims on cheap Crown land around Canada. They'll travel in their 4WD Vandura from spot to spot, maybe stay for a few weeks, up to a year, in each spot. When I say cheap I mean in the hundreds of dollars to thousands, and hardly ever any more. They keep gardens or food forests on a few of the plots they'll visit more frequently. The nice thing about food forests is that they're self-sustaining, so you can be away from them for a while and they'll do fine; laborious to set up but resilient without human input after that.

The only caveats are that they have to produce some resources from the land if you intend to renew the claim - but within a 10 year window, so you've got lots of time to pan a bit of gold or cut cord of lumber. The other caveat isn't really one to people here... there's no infrastructure, no roads, so you've got to break trail to get to your staked claim. You could build a road if you want, heck, you could build a cabin or greenhouse (so long as they're on skids or could hypothetically be moved somehow), but it's not necessary.

I don't think they're on OB, but I'd be happy to get anyone who is curious, in contact with them.

As for indoor gardens in fulltimes rigs; there are plenty of folks in the skoolie communities who will grow potatoes in a box, grow microgreens, herbs, beans and peas even.

Reactions: gnomonic

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Not sure how this works in the US, but I know a few people - notably, a couple whose been at this for a decades - who buy and stake claims on cheap Crown land around Canada. They'll travel in their 4WD Vandura from spot to spot, maybe stay for a few weeks, up to a year, in each spot. When I say cheap I mean in the hundreds of dollars to thousands, and hardly ever any more. They keep gardens or food forests on a few of the plots they'll visit more frequently. The nice thing about food forests is that they're self-sustaining, so you can be away from them for a while and they'll do fine; laborious to set up but resilient without human input after that.

The only caveats are that they have to produce some resources from the land if you intend to renew the claim - but within a 10 year window, so you've got lots of time to pan a bit of gold or cut cord of lumber. The other caveat isn't really one to people here... there's no infrastructure, no roads, so you've got to break trail to get to your staked claim. You could build a road if you want, heck, you could build a cabin or greenhouse (so long as they're on skids or could hypothetically be moved somehow), but it's not necessary.

I don't think they're on OB, but I'd be happy to get anyone who is curious, in contact with them.

As for indoor gardens in fulltimes rigs; there are plenty of folks in the skoolie communities who will grow potatoes in a box, grow microgreens, herbs, beans and peas even.
I would love to be able to do this. I recently started to grow in my house with a hydroponics system and would love to bring it with me. I dont, unfortunately, have the money for random plots of land.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I would love to be able to do this. I recently started to grow in my house with a hydroponics system and would love to bring it with me. I dont, unfortunately, have the money for random plots of land.
If you have $500 to spare for a piece of land you can keep for 10 years, I'd say you've got enough to start looking! Head to the Ministry of Resources office, or whatever your local equivalent is, and see what claims are up for sale, or inquire about staking a new one. The more remote it is, the cheaper it is, obviously. I'm also not sure if the prices here in Ontario would reflect those where you live, being that nearly everyone lives within 100km's of the border and north of that gets very untamed and undeveloped, very quickly. Perhaps they're unusally cheap here. But again... worth looking.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
If you have $500 to spare for a piece of land you can keep for 10 years, I'd say you've got enough to start looking! Head to the Ministry of Resources office, or whatever your local equivalent is, and see what claims are up for sale, or inquire about staking a new one. The more remote it is, the cheaper it is, obviously. I'm also not sure if the prices here in Ontario would reflect those where you live, being that nearly everyone lives within 100km's of the border and north of that gets very untamed and undeveloped, very quickly. Perhaps they're unusally cheap here. But again... worth looking.
Little bit different here in the US. I have looked at land in the middle of nowhere. I plan on buying quite a few acres when I can afford it. Its not as expensive as the city/towns, but still fairly expensive depending on where you buy.

Reactions: Baipin