Full size overlanding pros vs cons.

• HTML tutorial

craigR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mt Dora, FL
Member #

Size, to me, boils down to capabilities and priorities. I see it as a slide-rule...

Payload/Comfort (Bigger) <-------------|--------------> Mobility/Agility (Smaller)

There is always a compromise, so as you move up in size, you give up mobility. Where do you want to go, what do you want to do, and what do you want (need) to carry? Prioritize, then slide left or right accordingly.

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

I started with a full size, bring the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and everything else! But while you could bring everything, the effiency and scale really limited going totally off the beaten path, but it was built to got a week or two self contained with water, power heat etc so full 4 season utility.

Then I went compact, although I nicknamed my subie "scout" as it was really what I used as my daily, and for day trips as it was just a little too small for my gear and dog for more than an overnighter.

I've now went down the middle to mid size. It towards and hauls as much as a full size did from the late 90's so plenty of capability, but in a more approachable package, with much better economy than either the subie or the full size. And still could add a camper or trailer and have the benefits of the full size while able to get down trails and such.

@DK_XV | PNW | '17 Colorado Diesel

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Here is my full size Overlander. I have my smaller Jeep Cherokee when that is what I need, or it will fit better on the trails I’m running. But with my full sized setup, it is worth the extra fuel and sometimes a few pinstripes from Mother Nature, to camp and have the comfort of anything I may want to bring in my full sized Overlander. Benz.
E5CFF142-EB6B-41E4-A842-3E07609DCD6E.jpeg

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

I’m running a 1999 Chevy Silverado w/ a 5.3 Vortec engine. She doesn’t get the best mileage but she is reliable and enjoyable to drive.

She was involved in an accident before I bought her and has a big dent down the driver side but she runs fine.

I’m planning on putting a roof rack on, and a couple lock boxes on top of the tonneau cover.

I had a Yakima Skyrise 2 roof tent on my last rig and it was the worst Piece of junk I’ve ever encountered so I’m hesitant to put up another roof tent.

But I digress, I’ve never had trouble exploring with my truck. Fits the girlfriend, the dogs and all the camping equipment I could need.

Attachments

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

JacobBillMerryChristmas.jpg
Bought myself a 2019 F250 for Christmas after selling my 2002 4Runner. The Runner was quite capable on the trails, so this big ol thing has some fancy shoes to fill. However, in the near future I have pretty much sorted out the mod path and will be going almost as far as my 4Runner except bumpers and winch (largely to avoid the front axle weight). With 37s, a 4-link front suspension, 21" of center ground clearance, and a truetrac front to go with the locking rear, it should pretty much go anywhere it will fit!

We are selling the house in the pic to eventually downsize to full-timing in a 30ft Airstream, which is why I bought the truck. The goal is to be able to pull the trailer to fun sites around the country, then go exploring and wheeling in the truck :) .

It is funny though. After driving my F250 for the last couple weeks now, getting behind the wheel of my wife's 4Runner TRDP feels like I'm in a sports car!

*edit

Oh, the cutesy caption in the pic is because my wife saved the picture off of her instagram account :P .

Last edited:

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Here is one of the downsides to going fullsize:

Note that I had no problem at all driving the Jeep out of the shop and going around that mess. The Jeep didn't even leave any tracks you would notice.

Figure the Jeep might weigh 4K lbs. The dually and loaded trailer are probably on the order of 15K lbs.

It is a matter of extremes. Most fullsize rigs are going to be somewhere between the two. Just note that at some point the weight becomes a challenge. Be prepared to meet that challenge. In this case that meant chaining up all four corners just to move 60' through what would not have even counted as mud for most vehicles. And I would have been just fine if the ground hadn't thawed.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Here is one of the downsides to going fullsize:

Note that I had no problem at all driving the Jeep out of the shop and going around that mess. The Jeep didn't even leave any tracks you would notice.

Figure the Jeep might weigh 4K lbs. The dually and loaded trailer are probably on the order of 15K lbs.

It is a matter of extremes. Most fullsize rigs are going to be somewhere between the two. Just note that at some point the weight becomes a challenge. Be prepared to meet that challenge. In this case that meant chaining up all four corners just to move 60' through what would not have even counted as mud for most vehicles. And I would have been just fine if the ground hadn't thawed.
Out of curiosity, I am assuming that is a 4WD? And do you have any locking or limited-slip diffs?

Sounds like it's time for some
download.jpeg

Reactions: Jimmy P

Nedceifus

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Nebraska
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Metcalf
My mega cab Chevy super short box is working out well for the most part. Bad mileage, catches wind. With wife, 2 kids & 2 dogs the big cab is nice. Just enough storage in cab & bed for all of the right gear. The TBI 350 is reliable & has enough power to get the 40” tires & dual transfer cases down the road. Trails get tight though & I have had damage from trees & rocks.IMG_7950.JPG

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Oh, I forgot to add:
The biggest permanent "Con" I have found is the manueverability--specifically the turning radius. Doing 15-point turns just to park can get kinda silly.

Pro: *legal* payload. Now, I know lots of offroaders and overlanders exceed their GVWR--my 4Runner was 200lb below its GVWR before adding even myself. But, it seems once you add trailers to the mix there is a lot more attention given to GVWR and GCWR. Given the payload capacities I needed, I am overall quite happy with it!

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Out of curiosity, I am assuming that is a 4WD? And do you have any locking or limited-slip diffs?

Sounds like it's time for some
View attachment 80740
4WD and factory limited slip rear.

Mud tires would have been nice for those 60', but not the previous 1,000 miles. Mud tires are also probably the worst possible choice on ice.

And the real issue in that situation is weight. I could keep things moving and maintain enough control to keep things pointed the way I needed them to go right up to the point I needed to go against gravity. The heavier the rig the more the impact.

Reactions: Arailt