Full size overlanding pros vs cons.

• HTML tutorial

Chris Owens

Rank II

Advocate II

Vermont
Member #

We are full sized due to being a family of 4. It’s awesome having tons of room. In an ideal world I would tow a jeep just for tight trails or crawling. 99.9% of the time though the van does everything we want. It’s also nice to have the rtt, solar, awning, maxtrax, jack, etc in the roof. We don’t need a trailer which is nice. I guess the cons are poor gas mileage and spending time at every stop explaining that it’s a van and it’s 4wd. Lol

TrippinStfflr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Rock Island, TN, USA
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Stiffler
F250 4wd 6.7 liter diesel crew cab, 35 inch tires, lift, bumpers, 16k pound winch, front and rear truetrack differentials.
Why full size? It is what I had when I started. Pros: very comfortable off road. very good engine control. Not worried about stressing brakes or shocks.
Cons: I have stuck this 7k pound truck several times. Still learning what I can do and where I can go. Every failure means more experience. Looking forward to meeting folks in the Georgia area of like mind.
I'll be in Tennesse by this summer. We should get together and hit some trails. I drive a '17 F250.

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

I'll be in Tennesse by this summer. We should get together and hit some trails. I drive a '17 F250.
Me and the copilot are absolutely in! Look up Royal Blue, Windrock and Prentice Cooper. One of them may appeal.
BTW I went to school in Ft Worth and lived in Lewisville until 2012.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: aginhouse

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

I'm probably preaching to the choir - or maybe beating a dead horse - but I'll throw in my .02.

I currently own a '03 Dodge Ram 2500, Quad cab, short bed, diesel 4x4, as well as an '07 Toyota FJ Crusier. I DD the Ram whenever I can't take my motorcycle for some reason. Before the Ram, I had a 94 regular cab Toyota Pickup, and an '88 4runner.

I've had the Ram for almost 11 years now; bought the FJ last year thinking I wanted something smaller, lighter, and more maneuverable for the sometimes-tight trails and forest roads here in Michigan.

Although the FJ is great for what it is, a decent off-road toy and fun DD, I've found I actually prefer the Ram, and will be selling the FJ in the next few weeks.

Pros for the FJ are smaller, lighter, and more nimble, and superior Toyota build quality. It's definitely better in the off-road performance sense, but I don't rock crawl or hard-core off-road. The Ram has gone everywhere I wanted it to, as long as it fits. Pinstriping adds character.

MPG is a wash, more or less. They both get 16-18 MPG in mixed driving, but the Ram does better on the highway. Gas is cheaper than diesel, so right now the FJ is less expensive to fuel, but that's with it unloaded, and basically stock with slightly upsized tires (285/70R17 vs 265/70R17). The Ram has stock suspension, but has 35s currently, and has room to fit 37s.

Full-size Ram Pros: payload (mass and volume), towing capacity, interior room (seat 5 easily, 6 in a pinch), road presence, visibility, winter performance (even in 2wd vs the awd FJ; 4 tons makes for good traction), the list goes on.

For my needs the Ram is more truck than I need, but I like that it's under-stressed. I did the clutch on the FJ recently, and everything about the chassis and drivetrain (frame, suspension, axles, transmission, etc...) seems tiny and fragile by comparison. Some of this is certainly perception, but the HD Ram is very obviously built to work and take abuse, while the FJ is substantially less so.

I've gotten so used to the full-size I just can't get comfortable driving a smaller, light-duty vehicle anymore.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

I'm probably preaching to the choir - or maybe beating a dead horse - but I'll throw in my .02.

I currently own a '03 Dodge Ram 2500, Quad cab, short bed, diesel 4x4, as well as an '07 Toyota FJ Crusier. I DD the Ram whenever I can't take my motorcycle for some reason. Before the Ram, I had a 94 regular cab Toyota Pickup, and an '88 4runner.

I've had the Ram for almost 11 years now; bought the FJ last year thinking I wanted something smaller, lighter, and more maneuverable for the sometimes-tight trails and forest roads here in Michigan.

Although the FJ is great for what it is, a decent off-road toy and fun DD, I've found I actually prefer the Ram, and will be selling the FJ in the next few weeks.

Pros for the FJ are smaller, lighter, and more nimble, and superior Toyota build quality. It's definitely better in the off-road performance sense, but I don't rock crawl or hard-core off-road. The Ram has gone everywhere I wanted it to, as long as it fits. Pinstriping adds character.

MPG is a wash, more or less. They both get 16-18 MPG in mixed driving, but the Ram does better on the highway. Gas is cheaper than diesel, so right now the FJ is less expensive to fuel, but that's with it unloaded, and basically stock with slightly upsized tires (285/70R17 vs 265/70R17). The Ram has stock suspension, but has 35s currently, and has room to fit 37s.

Full-size Ram Pros: payload (mass and volume), towing capacity, interior room (seat 5 easily, 6 in a pinch), road presence, visibility, winter performance (even in 2wd vs the awd FJ; 4 tons makes for good traction), the list goes on.

For my needs the Ram is more truck than I need, but I like that it's under-stressed. I did the clutch on the FJ recently, and everything about the chassis and drivetrain (frame, suspension, axles, transmission, etc...) seems tiny and fragile by comparison. Some of this is certainly perception, but the HD Ram is very obviously built to work and take abuse, while the FJ is substantially less so.

I've gotten so used to the full-size I just can't get comfortable driving a smaller, light-duty vehicle anymore.
I went through a similar thought process one time. I had a 1979 k2500 suburban. I put a 427 in it that I had sitting in the corner of the garage, SM465, 205. I drove it for several years before I got a great offer on the 427 from a corvette restorer. I sold the engine a set the rest behind the barn. I bought an 98 XJ . It never felt right even after a 4" lift and 33s. I traded the XJ for an old Chevy 292 I6 plus some cash. I put the 292 in the suburban and with a little help from Sissel made a great vehicle.
Never felt under engined and figured out what I hadn't liked about the XJ was not having a full frame. (besides the normal Chrysler electrical gremlins )

Reactions: Zdorf

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
I'll play!
We like our '16 F-350 diesel with our Hallmark camper because it is very comfortable on the longer trips we like to take. Our first real trip was three weeks long. Next week we'll be gone for almost 4 weeks and in the summer of '19 we're planning a three month trip.
The truck has a 38 gallon tank giving it better range than me!

Attachments

raven mad

Rank 0

Traveler I

Full Size vs "Mid-Sized".... I was always a jeep guy, but 3 months ago I sold my built JK and I am building a Ram 2500 Diesel. Personally, I now prefer the full size to a "mid-size" ... I am able to do most everything the jeep did (except rock crawling) and I have sooooooooo much more capability now.

2017 Ram 2500 Diesel
41Inch Continental MPT 81s
4:88 gears
ARB front, Gear driven limited slip rear
AEV lift
AEV Highmark fenders
PSC ram assist stearing
AEV front bumper
WARN 16.5 winch front
Flip Bak bed cover
Weather tech floor mats
JW Speaker lights
WARN 12.0 winch for the rear
30 Gallon spare tire replacement fuel tank
Alpine Restyle stereo

On Order / waiting arrival
Custom NEMSIS aluminum bed rack
Expedition One rear bumper
Custom sliders
23 Zero RTT and Awning

I was just up and over Tin Cup Pass - Pomroy lake - Hancock Lake - Mt Antero - Iron Chest Mine Trail ..... No issues, perhaps Im old, but a full size seems to go everywhere I want to go...

Attachments

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

Full Size vs "Mid-Sized".... I was always a jeep guy, but 3 months ago I sold my built JK and I am building a Ram 2500 Diesel. Personally, I now prefer the full size to a "mid-size" ... I am able to do most everything the jeep did (except rock crawling) and I have sooooooooo much more capability now.

2017 Ram 2500 Diesel
41Inch Continental MPT 81s
4:88 gears
ARB front, Gear driven limited slip rear
AEV lift
AEV Highmark fenders
PSC ram assist stearing
AEV front bumper
WARN 16.5 winch front
Flip Bak bed cover
Weather tech floor mats
JW Speaker lights
WARN 12.0 winch for the rear
30 Gallon spare tire replacement fuel tank
Alpine Restyle stereo

On Order / waiting arrival
Custom NEMSIS aluminum bed rack
Expedition One rear bumper
Custom sliders
23 Zero RTT and Awning

I was just up and over Tin Cup Pass - Pomroy lake - Hancock Lake - Mt Antero - Iron Chest Mine Trail ..... No issues, perhaps Im old, but a full size seems to go everywhere I want to go...
Absolutely love your build! Very similar to where I am heading with my f250. Where are you putting your spare tire?

raven mad

Rank 0

Traveler I

Absolutely love your build! Very similar to where I am heading with my f250. Where are you putting your spare tire?

I am going to run the Expedition One rear bumper with the spare on the drivers side swing out and all my recovery equipment on the passenger side. For now Im just strapping it down in the bed under the cover. IM not to worried about blowing a tire though, these tires are absolutely ridiculous when it comes to strength and durability, but, I feel better about having a spare.

Reactions: Jeff & Heather

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

I am going to run the Expedition One rear bumper with the spare on the drivers side swing out and all my recovery equipment on the passenger side. For now Im just strapping it down in the bed under the cover. IM not to worried about blowing a tire though, these tires are absolutely ridiculous when it comes to strength and durability, but, I feel better about having a spare.
Thank you so much. This is exactly what I have been searching for and they make it for my '13 Tundra!

Cpyonker

Rank III

Advocate II

I’m gonna throw in my 10 cents (my opinion is worth more than 2 cents) as a midsize guy.

I have a 03 trailblazer. This is my first truck and a hand me down. Here in Michigan I commonly run Atv sized bypasses. The midsize provides my camping needs while still allowing me to squeeze through the tight trails.

I also like to run more difficult trails so the capability of the shorter wheelbase is nice.

Daily wise it is terrible mpg wise. I have been averaging 13-14 city (and I have a light foot). I plan on changing out my fuel filter, plugs, and etc. these I learned from my dad are all original parts. (At 220,000 miles) that should bump it up quite a bit.

Sorry, I like pictures haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

I’m gonna throw in my 10 cents (my opinion is worth more than 2 cents) as a midsize guy.

I have a 03 trailblazer. This is my first truck and a hand me down. Here in Michigan I commonly run Atv sized bypasses. The midsize provides my camping needs while still allowing me to squeeze through the tight trails.

I also like to run more difficult trails so the capability of the shorter wheelbase is nice.

Daily wise it is terrible mpg wise. I have been averaging 13-14 city (and I have a light foot). I plan on changing out my fuel filter, plugs, and etc. these I learned from my dad are all original parts. (At 220,000 miles) that should bump it up quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What part of Michigan are you in?

NautiqueGuy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Tyler, TX
Member #

What constitues “full size”.

I traded in my 2017 F250 Platinum for my 200 series Land Cruiser.

I love both vehicles, and the space in the Fseries can’t be matched. But I’m not convinced it’s any more or less capable off road than the Land Cruiser.

The obvious pro for the F250 was the fuel range. The Land Cruiser only gets 250-260 miles!!!!

The obvious pro for the 200 series is turning radius. That lifted 250 couldn’t u-turn in city streets...terrible.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

owning a 03 7.3 super duty 4 inch lift and 35's pavement princess and 14 rubi the pros and cons are for me any way the shear size of the truck vs jeep.

I may not be as adventuress as some others but I feel like I need to know where im going first in order to bring the truck, I get the feeling of you could but should you? Some areas a fullsize truck just cant physically fit . Switchback in my jeep are somewhat sketchy. Granted my exp level has a lot do with it as being comfortable .

Pros my truck stays in the teens for mpg pulling 7k pounds doing 75 mph. Truck is more stable feeling then the jeep for me anyway even with leaf spring on 4 corners. Also the space, In the future Id like to pickup a 4 wheel camper for the truck as the family grows fitting in the jeep is doable but there is only 3 of us.

Cost for fuel is a wash as diesel is ridiculously priced right now.

DrRobert

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bristow, VA
Member #

So lets discuss pro and cons of overlanding in a full size. I run a 01 Excusrion with a 4 inch lift, 35" tires, banks exhaust, edge tunner, air bags, cold air intake, and 4:30 gears. I have a custom roof rack with 7 led lights and four more behind the grill , a rear storage draw system with on board air. Although i like to think shes the king or the road she has many limits.
1. Turning shes alot like a 747.
2. Height, small trail, parking garage, garage at home and evan drive thru. She to big.
3. Off road, I've got it with speed and bounce.
4. Mpg lol what mpg.

So why full size?
1. Well the room speaks for its self.
2. Towing unmatched.
3. Distance traveled, great when full of fuel.
4 well I am the king of the road, and will likely be the first to help.

So to all why a full size? Im sure i didnt cover it all.
Sorry I'm late to this post. Great pics and perspective. I've been driving Suburbans for years - I've had two now. I love them but never really considered my Sub for overland. I was really focused on the technology (gear) on the Jeep Wranglers. I love the way they look and the level of customization is an expression of personality - but they don't carry a lot even with the rack. I debated getting one for what seems like months and then realized that what I really wanted was the comfort, engine power and carrying capacity of my Sub. The reason the carrying capacity was so important was because to get my twin boys to go out overland with me, I had to bring a lot of stuff. Even packing kits as was recommended on the Overland Bound YouTube channel I was bringing a crap-ton of stuff. We are definitely not minimalists! When the three of us go out we're carrying over-size cots, air mattresses, an 8 person tent, screen room, kitchen, the whole shooting match. It's a lot of fun but takes up a lot of space. So - I kind of had the answer right under my nose the whole time. Funny how that works...

Reactions: ckkphoto

Trbanks

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spring Hill, FL
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Banks
Member #

4D6A6E90-5106-4D70-8CD4-DE3C3F1DF9D6.jpeg 253A2855-1DB4-40CA-8835-DCD144C0397D.jpeg E9F08C3B-5CCD-4D6F-B4AF-9A82CE0BB72D.jpeg I’ll throw in my opinion as a new guy to overland bound but an old guy who has gone the Jeep route and now the full size truck route.

When my son was much younger, we took trips in our 93 wrangler. It was only slightly modified and pulled our little pop up trailer all over the country on vacations. I found the the Jeep and camper were stuffed to the gills with all of our gear and camp needs. It had no A/C but we were young and adventurous and didn’t care.

Now, we are much older, retired, and like a little more comfort. We recently bought ourselves another pop up camper ( much larger and somewhat off road capable). I pull it with a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn on 35’s. I find the big truck is much more comfortable on long trips, pulls the camper so much easier, and holds a lot more gear that is much easier to pack and unpack. The trade off is that although the full size truck is a little more limited as to where it can go, the ease and comfort more than make up for it.

On a side note, I find that the stuff that i always keep in the truck (shovel, axe, case of water, various other gear) stows away much easier with plenty of room left over for the other various things I need to do with my truck.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Love your rig and setup, thinking about getting a ram for our third vehicle.
Full size because I need the room. I have a family of 5. And I've found our fullsize a lot more capable than a smaller rig pulling a land anchor. I mean trailer.

I do not find the size to be all that particularly limiting. It really depends. I've been on very tight trails with my rig and they were a challenge for the Jeeps in the group. It becomes more of a challenge for sure. But when the trail is too narrow, it's already a challenge for Jeeps. Hasn't become a real-world concern or issue.

Frankly, I have found the longer wheelbase to be more stable offroad and on trails compared to the shorter wheelbase vehicle we had previously. While it might have been more nimble around turns, that's about it.

With this particular rig, I also found myself spending A LOT less in mods, and more time just out doing things. I didn't need to waste money on lifts and upgraded suspension. I slapped some 35's on it, sliders and diff armor and was good to go. Already came with lockers and winch. Hard to argue with the value there. More time out exploring and doing, less time figuring out what mods to do.

We get plenty of places that I've been told we shouldn't be able to get to in our rig.

And yeah, I did just liter your thread with pictures of my truck. :P I'm a picture whore.

Reactions: OffroadTreks

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

My first overland build was a Trailblazer. Matter of fact, that build is on here and on offroadtb.com