Fuelpax Venting?

• HTML tutorial
Ive been carrying Fuelpax 3.5gal containers. These are thinner walled versions of Rotopax. When full, they bulge or swell noticeably at the bottom with heat and altitude...build up a lot of pressure inside that I release at each stop. Im worried that with repeated stresses like this, the Fuelpax will crack and leak or worse burst. Any experience with these cans bursting?
Is there a cap or automatic relief valve I can retrofit in the wall of to the can that allows pressure to at least release and equalize without me manually doing it at every stop?. That would at least reduce the repeated bulging stress.
Thanks!

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

No special experience with fuelpax besides the fact that I want some, but bulging and the need to vent regularly is common to every fuel canister.
Because of their shape, the visible effects are more pronounced with fuelpax or rotopax.
No need to worry, just vent.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

No special experience with fuelpax besides the fact that I want some, but bulging and the need to vent regularly is common to every fuel canister.
Because of their shape, the visible effects are more pronounced with fuelpax or rotopax.
No need to worry, just vent.
I’ll add to MazeVX’s post that the more change in temperature and/or altitude, the more containers should be monitoring and vented.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I have one fuelpax container( thanks to the great state of California). The rest are Rotopax. I leave a bit of space for expansion. Before the Rotopax I used plastic gas containers, they bulged to the point of looking like a beach ball, just released the pressure and they never cracked. Some seepage around the cap. But, other than that no worries. I have a container in my shed that is well over 20 years old and still does the job.

S

SubeeBen

Sorry for the dumb question as I just mounted my vector exo rack & the new 4.5 gallon fuel pax. I have not yet put fuel in the tank but it’s been in the hi 90’s where I live & I have had no expansion on my tank & Jeep is parked in the sun all day. Does this change when fuel is added. I don’t believe it changes anything but correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks for the input.A7ED6F2B-0EA0-4B4C-9629-D4987E958978.jpeg

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Sorry for the dumb question as I just mounted my vector exo rack & the new 4.5 gallon fuel pax. I have not yet put fuel in the tank but it’s been in the hi 90’s where I live & I have had no expansion on my tank & Jeep is parked in the sun all day. Does this change when fuel is added. I don’t believe it changes anything but correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks for the input.
Yes, it will change. For now it's just air that's increasing and decreasing a little bit in volume but gas expands from its liquid state to gaseous form and gaining a massive amount of volume.

Reactions: SubeeBen
S

SubeeBen

Yes, it will change. For now it's just air that's increasing and decreasing a little bit in volume but gas expands from its liquid state to gaseous form and gaining a massive amount of volume.
Ok gotcha thank you very much for the feedback.