Launch Member

Contributor I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Sneddon
Member #

OK, these are clearly a generic version of the Rotopax Fuelpax. They have a similar mounting mechanism. But like I said, these might actually be a more robust design than the Fuelpax, and they have room for 1/2 gallon more. The Rotopax are clearly designed to be as narrow as possible, and this mount probably sticks out more. If these canisters are thicker plastic and/or more resistant to expansion, that would be a big improvement.

The lock looks like it is a cheap flat key lock that is easily picked, but since the Rotopax locking mount uses the cylinder keys that are easily defeated with the barrel of a Bic ballpoint pen, they are about equal in that regard.

Banjor

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Sneddon
Member #

I hope you enjoy the Wilco. It was an excellent addition to two of my vehicles and served me well over the years.
I’m also in San Francisco, probably the capitol of America for petty theft from parked cars. I can’t leave anything visible inside, even loose spare change or a cheap pair of sunglasses can result in a broken window, even with a car alarm. The one time I accidentally locked the doors of my Miata someone cut the cloth soft top just to have a look around and found nothing of value. That reminds me, I put a big padlock on my HI-Lift jack mounted to the roof rack, but I need to put a big lock on the spare tire and wheel too.

It’s not that we are a sanctuary city, statistics show undocumented are far less likely to commit crime here. It’s really our lack of proper addiction and homeless services, and our extreme housing crisis that are to blame. There are homeless in tents all over the sidewalks and needles strewn everywhere.

It’s good to know the Wilco spare tire carrier lasted for years, it wasn’t cheap but appears to be great quality. I can’t mount the spare to the roof and still fit in my garage.

Happy Sunshine

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Decatur, Texas, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Forst
Member #

Reactions: Chadlyb

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
I still need to order the spout. I didn’t know that the one that comes with it is crappy.
Know the fill tube size on your truck.

The Black spout is 1", and the Red and Olive Drab are 3/4".

I could be wrong but I think the 3/4" is for newer vehicles.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I got used to using them at the shop I work at, but then after having a Jerry can fall over in the back of my Jeep I switch over to the race cans lol
Yeah my fuel jugs were just used so much before I just like it.Sure it doesnt have a fancy mount or anything but it does sit well in the back of the truck and hasnt tipped over while on the trail.

JPOVS

Rank I

Contributor III

MN
Do you have the gas cap wrench? I keep mine cranked on pretty well, and have never smelled gas from either of my MFC's, regardless of swelling from heat or being bounced around off-roading.
I don't have a wrench, but I do have one of those adjustable rubber strap wrenches that I could use. I'll have to try going tighter next time.

Reactions: trikebubble

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

It’s not that we are a sanctuary city, statistics show undocumented are far less likely to commit crime here. It’s really our lack of proper addiction and homeless services, and our extreme housing crisis that are to blame. There are homeless in tents all over the sidewalks and needles strewn everywhere.
Way off topic here... but residents are being told the reasons above are the reasons for the problems you are facing. Problem is, no one wants to work, expects to be taken care of and of the ones without mental health and addiction issues, are not willing to do what's necessary to leave.

A great article in Forbes Magazine today talked about where I live in Lubbock, Tx and middle America having a bigger housing problem than San Francisco. Per capita, rent is more expensive in this cotton town than it is in the Bay area.