Fuel

• HTML tutorial

tangrignon

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

san francisco, ca
Member #

Rotopax pros: lots of mounting options, they look cool.
Rotopax cons: expensive, they swell and contract alot with weather, small size, plastic

Jerry can pros: can be cheap, been around for a really long time, 5 gallons standard, dependable, come in plastic or metal.
Jerry can cons: bulky, old fashioned, less mounting options( upright or upright)
^^ Nailed it.

I had rotopax and found them to be not enough fuel (I had 2 mounted on a Wilco Off-road Hitchgate tire carrier) and then the mounting plate threaded bolt bent and the cans themselves warp all out of shape. I ditched them all, got rid of the Wilco, and went to Wavian Jerry cans. There are great rear-mounted carriers, as well as roof top carriers or if you're more expedition minded like me, you can put them inside the vehicle. They have never once leaked or smelled in 7000 miles of driving with them.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've used Jerry cans my whole life. I have both 5 gal and 2.5 gal. They sit nice on my rear rack, the short ones sit well on the sides of my M-100 trailer. The rotopax would fit but the cost to carry 10 gal on my Cruiser and 5 gal on the trailer is more then I want to spend.
Forgot to add, I prefer the NATO style with the smaller opening.

Happy Sunshine

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Decatur, Texas, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Forst
Member #

I've used Jerry cans my whole life. I have both 5 gal and 2.5 gal. They sit nice on my rear rack, the short ones sit well on the sides of my M-100 trailer. The rotopax would fit but the cost to carry 10 gal on my Cruiser and 5 gal on the trailer is more then I want to spend.
Forgot to add, I prefer the NATO style with the smaller opening.
Thank you.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Scepter MFC's. Hands down the best fuel container made. I have 2, beat the heck out of them, they deal with extreme heat and cold with no issues, and have an internal vent that allows you to empty the whole container in no time. I've stored them upright and in their sides for thousands of miles without ever even hunting at leaking. I'm pretty sure you could drive over an MFC with no problem. I bought a Rotopax once, the pos nozzle broke the first time I used it. I ended up giving it away.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I bought a Rotopax once, the pos nozzle broke the first time I used it. I ended up giving it away.
It's funny you mention that, since I'd forgotten about this. The first time I saw one, it was leaning on a gas pump in Pinedale, WY. I looked and thought, wow! Then i saw one entire side split open.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Scepter MFC's. Hands down the best fuel container made. I have 2, beat the heck out of them, they deal with extreme heat and cold with no issues, and have an internal vent that allows you to empty the whole container in no time. I've stored them upright and in their sides for thousands of miles without ever even hunting at leaking. I'm pretty sure you could drive over an MFC with no problem. I bought a Rotopax once, the pos nozzle broke the first time I used it. I ended up giving it away.
Those are expensive! Look at the VP fuel containers also they are square and store well, they will be my replacements. I have a Blitz can the has to be 20 years old now.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have both 5 gal Scepter jerrys (not military) and a couple 2 gal Rotopax.

I prefer my 5 gal fuel jerrys, mostly because they fit my packing scheme better in my trailer with several 5 gal water jerrys.

I have not tested the Rotopax for what seems like an all too common problem of swelling and splitting, though keep my jugs in the cargo bay of my trailer, not on the fenders or outside, so it may not be as much an issue.

The Rotopax only come with me when I think I may really need to carry extra fuel in the van and am not hauling the trailer for the day, or trip. The Rotopax are much slimmer, so can fit a wider variety of places in my van for day runs. I still would not mount mine on the outside.

Reactions: Happy Sunshine

Happy Sunshine

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Decatur, Texas, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Forst
Member #

I have both 5 gal Scepter jerrys (not military) and a couple 2 gal Rotopax.

I prefer my 5 gal fuel jerrys, mostly because they fit my packing scheme better in my trailer with several 5 gal water jerrys.

I have not tested the Rotopax for what seems like an all too common problem of swelling and splitting, though keep my jugs in the cargo bay of my trailer, not on the fenders or outside, so it may not be as much an issue.

The Rotopax only come with me when I think I may really need to carry extra fuel in the van and am not hauling the trailer for the day, or trip. The Rotopax are much slimmer, so can fit a wider variety of places in my van for day runs. I still would not mount mine on the outside.

Thank you.

Reactions: Road

Banjor

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Sneddon
Member #

Without calibration larger tires will make the speedometer register around 3-5 mph faster therfore making the odometer roll faster and if you didnt recalibrate going back down your doing everything slower.

I had very little mpg change when going up from 31" to 33" i still get 500 miles on a tank full
Quick correction, larger tires will make the speedometer read slower for the same speed, since you will have fewer rotations for the same difference.

If you recalibrate for larger tires then don’t recalibrate for smaller ones, your perceived mileage will get worse, not better.

If the speedometer wasn’t recalibrated, then there is no way to trust the odometer for gas mileage calculations. I’m not sure the ODO is all that accurate for real mileage in any case, my speedometer always registered about 1-2 MPH faster than I was actually going on stock tires. Of course, the speedometer is calibrated a little fast on purpose, so that as your tires wear you don’t end up going faster in reality then your dash reads (the manufacturers wouldn’t want to be liable for making people unknowingly speed).

I changed from 225/55-18 to 235/60-17. That increased the diameter from 27.7” to 28.3”, an increase of 2.2%. Now I figure my speedometer is closer to correct than it was when new.

Last edited:

Banjor

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Sneddon
Member #

Apologies for going so far off topic with the last post. To bring it back around, I recently got a Wilco Hitchgate Solo high-mount spare wheel carrier since my new bigger spare won’t fit underneath the cargo tray without modifications. I also got the dual Rotopax mount so I can fit two Rotopax cans between the spare tire and lift gate. Now you guys have me worried about their durability.

My intended usage for these is off-road excursions to desert hot springs. Since 100 degree temperatures and blazing sun are regular occurrences on those trips, I wouldn’t want expansion to burst a fuel carrier. That’s especially worrisome since the mounting position puts them close to my Forester XT’s dual exhaust (I have the Mann Engineering cat-back exhaust that juts out a little further than stock). I wouldn’t want to accidentally douse the backside with gas that could be ignited by the hot muffler tips.

Is there any way to make the Rotopax gas cans less likely to expand and pop a seam weld? Should I drill a hole and add a rubber plug on top that could act as a relief valve if need be? Should I plan on unscrewing the cap enough to relieve pressure on hot days when the sun is blazing? Is there an off-the-shelf solution to this problem, like one-way valves that can be installed on plastic fuel canisters?

Last edited:

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I didnt know what Rotopax was until moments ago after speaking to Mr Google. It looks to me like a plastic Jerry Can. I carry 2 Jerry Cans on the roof of my Defender. My guess is the Rotopax would be better when carried externally as they wouldnt corrode (especially in English weather). As for taking the fuel out of them i used to use a Jerry Can spout but the seal was never 100%. Additionally the issue of climbing up and down off the roof was begining to annoy me. Instead what i do now is i have a Jiggle syphon straight from the Jerry Cans into the fuel tank via the filler cap. I therefore dont have to manoeuvre a fairly heavy Jerry can down from its stowage.

I guess when my Jerry Cans finally give up the battle due to rust ill invest in something plastic

Last edited:

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

Can't comment on Rotopax, literally only starting seeing them locally in the last year or so. Always used metal jerrycans, I have them mounted on the roofrack (FrontRunner holders). I usually use a jiggler siphon so you can leave them on the roof rack while refueling. They are sturdy but bulky and heavy.

I recently installed a long range auxiliary fuel tank, game changer! Only time I need a jerry now is when it's more than 1200 km (745mi) between fuel stops. Maybe consider that as well.

Last edited:

Happy Sunshine

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Decatur, Texas, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Forst
Member #

Can't comment on Rotopax, literally only starting seeing them locally in the last year or so. Always used metal jerrycans, I have them mounted on the roofrack (FrontRunner holders). I usually use a jiggler siphon so you can leave them on the roof rack while refueling. They are sturdy but bulky and heavy.

I recently installed a long range auxiliary fuel tank, game changer! Only time I need a jerry now is when it's more than 1200 km (745mi) between fuel stops. Maybe consider that as well.
Thank you.

Happy Sunshine

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Decatur, Texas, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Forst
Member #

I didnt know what Rotopax was until moments ago after speaking to Mr Google. It looks to me like a plastic Jerry Can. I carry 2 Jerry Cans on the roof of my Defender. My guess is the Rotopax would be better when carried externally as they wouldnt corrode (especially in English weather). As for taking the fuel out of them i used to use a Jerry Can spout but the seal was never 100%. Additionally the issue of climbing up and down off the roof was begining to annoy me. Instead what i do now is i have a Jiggle syphon straight from the Jerry Cans into the fuel tank via the filler cap. I therefore dont have to manoeuvre a fairly heavy Jerry can down from its stowage.

I guess when my Jerry Cans finally give up the battle due to rust ill invest in something plastic
Thank you.

tangrignon

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

san francisco, ca
Member #

Apologies for going so far off topic with the last post. To bring it back around, I recently got a Wilco Hitchgate Solo high-mount spare wheel carrier since my new bigger spare won’t fit underneath the cargo tray without modifications. I also got the dual Rotopax mount so I can fit two Rotopax cans between the spare tire and lift gate. Now you guys have me worried about their durability.

My intended usage for these is off-road excursions to desert hot springs. Since 100 degree temperatures and blazing sun are regular occurrences on those trips, I wouldn’t want expansion to burst a fuel carrier. That’s especially worrisome since the mounting position puts them close to my Forester XT’s dual exhaust (I have the Mann Engineering cat-back exhaust that juts out a little further than stock). I wouldn’t want to accidentally douse the backside with gas that could be ignited by the hot muffler tips.

Is there any way to make the Rotopax gas cans less likely to expand and pop a seam weld? Should I drill a hole and add a rubber plug on top that could act as a relief valve if need be? Should I plan on unscrewing the cap enough to relieve pressure on hot days when the sun is blazing? Is there an off-the-shelf solution to this problem, like one-way valves that can be installed on plastic fuel canisters?
I had my Wilco and double rotopax carrier on a Forrester XT as well!! Don't get me wrong, it served its purpose (inexpensive rear full size spare mount + fuel) without me resorting to either mounting the gas on the roof (raising the center of gravity of the vehicle vertically) or going with a full custom rear bumper and jerry holder (which cost a lot more.) My issue was that the actual bolts used in the rotopax mounts BENT over a few desert trips and we did not beat the car up at all. I was surprised when I found that the loaded weight of the rotopax bent them.

As for pressure, yes I would vent them if it was too hot and they were ballooned up. We ultimately switched vehicles (twice) and after doing a number of much steeper routes in the 4runner, I still found that the Wilco was ruining my departure angle quite significantly so I ditched the wilco and moved new Wavian jerries INSIDE the rear cargo compartment and killed 4 birds with one stone: 1) Better weight distribution back to front; 2) no more heat expansion; 3) no obvious gas can hanging off the vehicle to mess with; 4) improved my departure angle significantly.

If you're not doing tough and very steep routes (which honestly the XT is not cut out for, even with X-Mode), the departure angle probably won't be an issue. But watch for expansion (ballooning). One way to handle it is to do what I did and run them empty 99% of the time, except when you are back-country. Then fill them, and drive until you need to top up and use them as soon as possible. Then, if you don't need fuel in them, just leave them empty.

JPOVS

Rank I

Contributor III

MN
I have the Scepter MFC that I store on the front decking of my teardrop trailer. When I was in Colorado over the July 4th holiday I could smell fuel near the front of the trailer, and sometimes while in the trailer. Curious why I could smell fuel with the lid on tight? The can was swelled up, so I tried relieving it, but a small mist of fuel would come out when I ever so slightly tried to let the air out so I stopped. Is the smell of fuel normal for these cans? This was my first time using them and the outside of the can was clean/new.

Happy Sunshine

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Decatur, Texas, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Forst
Member #

I had my Wilco and double rotopax carrier on a Forrester XT as well!! Don't get me wrong, it served its purpose (inexpensive rear full size spare mount + fuel) without me resorting to either mounting the gas on the roof (raising the center of gravity of the vehicle vertically) or going with a full custom rear bumper and jerry holder (which cost a lot more.) My issue was that the actual bolts used in the rotopax mounts BENT over a few desert trips and we did not beat the car up at all. I was surprised when I found that the loaded weight of the rotopax bent them.

As for pressure, yes I would vent them if it was too hot and they were ballooned up. We ultimately switched vehicles (twice) and after doing a number of much steeper routes in the 4runner, I still found that the Wilco was ruining my departure angle quite significantly so I ditched the wilco and moved new Wavian jerries INSIDE the rear cargo compartment and killed 4 birds with one stone: 1) Better weight distribution back to front; 2) no more heat expansion; 3) no obvious gas can hanging off the vehicle to mess with; 4) improved my departure angle significantly.

If you're not doing tough and very steep routes (which honestly the XT is not cut out for, even with X-Mode), the departure angle probably won't be an issue. But watch for expansion (ballooning). One way to handle it is to do what I did and run them empty 99% of the time, except when you are back-country. Then fill them, and drive until you need to top up and use them as soon as possible. Then, if you don't need fuel in them, just leave them empty.
Thank you.

Happy Sunshine

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Decatur, Texas, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Forst
Member #

I have the Scepter MFC that I store on the front decking of my teardrop trailer. When I was in Colorado over the July 4th holiday I could smell fuel near the front of the trailer, and sometimes while in the trailer. Curious why I could smell fuel with the lid on tight? The can was swelled up, so I tried relieving it, but a small mist of fuel would come out when I ever so slightly tried to let the air out so I stopped. Is the smell of fuel normal for these cans? This was my first time using them and the outside of the can was clean/new.
Thank you. I like the idea of metal cans.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
But watch for expansion (ballooning). One way to handle it is to do what I did and run them empty 99% of the time, except when you are back-country. Then fill them, and drive until you need to top up and use them as soon as possible. Then, if you don't need fuel in them, just leave them empty.
that's smart for ANY plastic gas or water can. i live in south louisiana so i usually have at least a 1 or 2 day drive to get anywhere good and i always wait and fill gas and water right before i get off into the boonies. i can definitely see that increasing the life of plastic cans by not stressing the seams as much and then using it as quick as possible.

Reactions: eagle_A40

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Rotopax tells you to vent the cans once a day. That in itself tells a story IMHO. Personally, I'd only use them for water.

Wavien jerry cans are the best when you don't want fuel leaking and you don't want to worry about venting tanks on a daily basis.

Last edited: