Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

A HAHAHAHA!!!! You'll never get it better than the day you drive it off the lot. Mods tend to add weight and wind resistance to the vehicle no matter what. Your best bet (if MPG is a big concern) is to start with the most efficient vehicle you can find and go from there. My D2 is now around 9-10 MPG.

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Mpg .... what's that lol , if I wanted mpg I'd drive a car , after most rigs are lifted and have even larger tires put on your gonna drop in mpg plus once 4x4 is engaged say goodbye to milage

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

I underatand all the principals of the rig losing efficiency once weight is added however in my adventures so far fuel points are sometimes few and far between. Jerry cans only add a small safety net to get you off the trail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

How many cans do you take, how much fuel does you car hold, and how far are you traveling between fuel stops?

One trick I do to get more out of a tank is to use a can of Seafoam. Not only is it good to clean injectors, but I seem to get an extra 20 miles to a tank. I usually use a can at the start of a trip for the long highway miles. Off road I don't think there's as much benefit. That little bottle of Seafoam costs as much as a couple gallons of fuel, so you're not saving money.

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

I get about 420 miles to a tank over road about 350 on the trails. Depends on how much i get on it. I dont get into much trouble yet as my rig isnt set to do anything serious yet. I have two 5 gal so far but my rig also hasnt been set up the way i want it eventually.

Ive used the seafoam in my last jeep. It does work wonders. I usually add the engine additive at just prior to changing my oil too. Just to keep the crud out

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

I have a discovery in my driveway that i want to work on but i dont own it just yet. A aquaintance of mine left in at my house because it broke down over a year ago. I had it up and running ish once and i know what you mean about that V8

Willmh3

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tennessee Colony, Texas
Member #

Coming from a lifted Tundra on 33” tires I was getting 13 SPG (smiles per gallon) while going down hill with a 38 gallon tank.... in a stock (for now)FJ Cruiser now and getting 17.5 SPG with a 17 gallon tank. Filling more often only it doesn’t cost me a $100 bill to do it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The main thing is you already know how far you can get on a tank of gas in different situations and thats the good news, the bad news is you millage will always suck especially off road and loaded for overlanding. I get about 11-13 mpg unless I'm in low then all betts are off.

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I agree with the others, 4x4 and overlanding is basically accepting 15 mpg and usually worse depending on what you choose. Unless its a Subaru that might be a bit better. I chose my vehicle based on its capabilities and reliability and while I'll try to maximize my mpg I'll just accept I am burning large amounts of fuel and have fun. Just remember how far a tank gets you and get out there and enjoy the outdoors.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
Offroad capability and mpg are in many ways inversely proportional. If you’re offroad rig is your daily, then you’re likely to make decisions that favor mpg. If it’s primarily for being offroad, you probably make decisions for capability. My mpgs are not good but I wouldn’t want to sacrifice what my rig can do to improve them.

Reactions: 58-fc170