Fuel Can Mounting

• HTML tutorial

Dave Hughes

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I see a lot of people mount their jerry cans horizontal . I see that as a problem as you kinda have to get up there and take the cans down when you want to use them. I think they do look better that way , but I did not want to have to move those heavy ass cans up and down.

I decided to mount my Jerry cans vertical for the following.

1: I can just use a shaker siphon to fill from the roof to the tank without having to remove cans.
2: I can just fill the cans on the roof so i don't have to lift those heavy cans up after they are full.
3: I am waiting on my fenders from metal-cloak , yea they are tough as nails but I also wanted them to stand on.

You can see from my pic the position i chose to mount them , so they are close enough for the shaker siphon.
I may reverse the cans to see if the angle for filling and tank access.

Your thoughts please.

IMG_1888.JPG

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Good choice on the fenders. I mount mine on the metal cloak bumper,made my own mounts. I've wondered many times. If one is going to go threw all that to fill them and get the fuel in the jeep and lift them up and down. Why not put a fuel cell or something up there besides cans? Hook a little fuel pump up to it? If I was going to put fuel up there I'd have to come up with something besides cans. But I don't really care for the whole idea of fuel on the roof. I reckon one would want to not man handle them up and down. I always thought that's just what they did that ran there cans on the roof. And that hurt my back just looking at them. Must be a young persons thing ;}

Reactions: Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Good choice on the fenders. I mount mine on the metal cloak bumper,made my own mounts. I've wondered many times. If one is going to go threw all that to fill them and get the fuel in the jeep and lift them up and down. Why not put a fuel cell or something up there besides cans? Hook a little fuel pump up to it? If I was going to put fuel up there I'd have to come up with something besides cans. But I don't really care for the whole idea of fuel on the roof. I reckon one would want to not man handle them up and down. I always thought that's just what they did that ran there cans on the roof. And that hurt my back just looking at them. Must be a young persons thing ;}
Pics of the fender mount ?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
I use 2 ea 3gal roto pax with mount that lay flat in my ARB roof rack. I have found them to be leak free and easy enough to get down for use.
I have been thinking of using a boat fuel cell that is flat as an option also....

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
I mount my (2) 3 gallon Rotopax up on the rack, flat, and towards the rear. I'd be concerned about catching a vertically mounted gas can on something, a branch, a tree, and I'd also be thinking about the increased drag of driving around with a vertically mounted gas can on the roof...

Dave Hughes

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I mount my (2) 3 gallon Rotopax up on the rack, flat, and towards the rear. I'd be concerned about catching a vertically mounted gas can on something, a branch, a tree, and I'd also be thinking about the increased drag of driving around with a vertically mounted gas can on the roof...

I have a couple plastic cases that will be shielding the cans . I will bringing a chainsaw in the TAT.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I use a translucent off-road fuel jug that all the dirt bike and quad guys use. Durable, cheap and easy to pour. I just put it in the bed of my Tacoma, but when I eventually get a swing away bumper I will put it out there. Anyone seen a mount for them? I will probably just end up zapping up my own unless I find a trick one that isn't too spendy.

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Lintnercorey I never have seen mounts for them gas jugs. But my buddy bought four so we made two mounts holding two each for his jk and there great. I wish I had done the same before I did my set mine up with Nato cans. Nato cans suck, they don't pour the gas in, it gulps in. Look what I did to fix them.
IMG_20170911_221135.jpg
I drilled a hole for a 1/2" anchor rivet. Inserted the rivet with jb weld then compressed it. Made a 1/4" thick rubber gasket with a 1/2 copper washer. Now it pours. Almost as good as them jugs do. So maybe one day I'll redo it all. I'll never buy Nato cans again. But here's the fix if anyone did and can't stand dripping your fuel into your vehicle. I had to eat crow guys. I told my buddy the jug set up would be a bunch of ooogly booogly and he wouldn't be happy with them. Boy was I wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 000 and Dave Hughes

Jeff Tyson

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

I was searching the inter webs last night for fender mount Jerry cans. Seems like a really logical place to me, and pretty much everyone replaces their fenders anyway. I may just have to fab my own. The metalcloak would make a good base, but who wants to spend that on a fender only to weld on it?

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Lintnercorey I never have seen mounts for them gas jugs. But my buddy bought four so we made two mounts holding two each for his jk and there great. I wish I had done the same before I did my set mine up with Nato cans. Nato cans suck, they don't pour the gas in, it gulps in. Look what I did to fix them.
View attachment 34261
I drilled a hole for a 1/2" anchor rivet. Inserted the rivet with jb weld then compressed it. Made a 1/4" thick rubber gasket with a 1/2 copper washer. Now it pours. Almost as good as them jugs do. So maybe one day I'll redo it all. I'll never buy Nato cans again. But here's the fix if anyone did and can't stand dripping your fuel into your vehicle. I had to eat crow guys. I told my buddy the jug set up would be a bunch of ooogly booogly and he wouldn't be happy with them. Boy was I wrong.
That's a good fix, but you're right they do suck. Years ago I had Jerry cans on my Tj because that what you put on a jeep. They were also terrible to use. They do have adapters etc to make them work better, but they are still pretty spendy and aren't as easy to use as a jug. The jugs don't look cool like a Jerry can, but they work way better.