Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Last December we headed out for a six weeks tour of the southwest, beginning in No Cal, with family for Christmas. Our plan was to then take in Death Valley, Mohave, Great Basin, Grand Staircase, Moab region, then wander on over to Big Bend. We had no time limit but I figured 6 weeks out. 20 years of sucessful trips came to an abrupt end in Illinois where we had our very first major breakdown. I had been ignoring a very small leak from our heater core for years. It was leaking less than a pint a year. Well, it gave out in a big way as it went "bang" steamed up the windshield, then the radiator went 'Boom'! I turned the engine off immediately and saved it. Had it towed to a shop, waited overnight, then rented a car and continued to No Cal while repairs ensued. Picked up our cruzer in early January and headed home. We had considered going down to Big Bend, but as the parks were all closed, no back country permits were being issued. so, we planned to go down to big bend for a couple of weeks beginning April 2nd, as I am having extensive dental work done all through March. I'm a little superstitious so we didn't plan on leaving April 1st. Yesterday I got word from my dentist that my new teeth would not be ready till mid April. :( Late April it is just too darned hot at Big Bend, so that trip has been postponed. We haven't been on an overland trip now in almost two years because of the above mentioned failure, and because of my wifes surgery Feb of '18. Oh yea, local stuff, but that doesn't really count. I'm itching to get going again regularly, but the overlanding gods just haven't been with us. Otherwise, life is good. In July I'll be leading a three nite tour of BESF sanctioned by the Gotham City Landcruisers and the TLCA. If you're a member of the TLCA I'd urge you to take a look at the Coal Miner Cruiser Classic and sign up for one of the expo tours. We hope to get going again as soon as we can. Be good, do good !

Reactions: Arailt

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
... Late April it is just too darned hot at Big Bend, so that trip has been postponed. ...
Sorry for your challenges. Hang in there and seek out adventures as the appear.

Had to laugh about late April being too hot. Late April is mild... July and August in Big Bend are HOT! :-)

Reactions: MOAK

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I thought "I" was having a poor run of luck but you've put my situation into a different, less aggravating, perspective. So, thanks for that but, on the other hand, I send you my warmest wishes for a near term resolution to your dental challenges.

In the past my bride and I had a similar SW Desert trip idea, we took off Dec. 5, 2017 through mid January 2018. So we got our 5+ weeks in following the original plans and thankfully had a blast - since then however, life and family/financial challenges just keep getting in the way of every plan we've started to put together just seems to implode. So I feel your pain but thankfully my ride didn't leave us hanging.

Certainly hope all this passes and you're able to get back out as soon as possible.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Sorry to here buddy! We had a few issues last year on the Utah trip we had both planned for. We had made it successfully north to south thru San Rafael Swell and into Capitol Reef. Didn’t get to make it into The Maze District though, due to getting brown water at Goblin Valley and blowing out a couple caster bushings on the way in. So, you and me are gonna have to plan for that again! Bucket list for me for sure.

Reactions: MOAK

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Lost the headgasket on mine last July. Loaned it to my ex wife while her car was in the shop. She said she smelled coolant for 3 day's then the motor locked up. I ended up missing the summer and fall trips. I guess it could be worse, I could have been out on a trip. I didn't see what your repair ended up being. Hopefully it wast too expensive.

Scott

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Lost the headgasket on mine last July. Loaned it to my ex wife while her car was in the shop. She said she smelled coolant for 3 day's then the motor locked up. I ended up missing the summer and fall trips. I guess it could be worse, I could have been out on a trip. I didn't see what your repair ended up being. Hopefully it wast too expensive.

Scott
Loaned rig to ex wife , those are fatal words.. my first wife totaled my 40 series way back when. No compared to shop prices around here it was not expensive at all. Fortunately the mechanic recognized my name and my on line handle, MOAK. Rebuilt heater core, new radiator, belts, upper hose, and thermostat was all done for 1900, including the tow. Around here the heater core alone would have been 16-1700 to repair. You loaned your rig to your ex? Out of negligence she seized the engine.. Jonny, did you learn your lesson? Damn that’s a tough one. I’m guessing about 10 k for yours, unless you did all the work, then 7k..

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You loaned your rig to your ex? Out of negligence she seized the engine.. Jonny, did you learn your lesson? Damn that’s a tough one. I’m guessing about 10 k for yours, unless you did all the work, then 7k..
Heh
Yea, lesson learned. Did everything but the machine work my self. Total rebuild, added in a bunch of extra stuff while I was there and was just over 6k. I was going to build a Teardrop Trailer. Well maybe next year. Im glad yours wasn't a head gasket. Ive seen those blow heater cores when I was in the shop.

Scott

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Heh
Yea, lesson learned. Did everything but the machine work my self. Total rebuild, added in a bunch of extra stuff while I was there and was just over 6k. I was going to build a Teardrop Trailer. Well maybe next year. Im glad yours wasn't a head gasket. Ive seen those blow heater cores when I was in the shop.

Scott
So was I, as the head was off for valve stem seal leakage.. ( it was burning a quart every thousand miles) only 2,000 miles previous, I was 99% sure the head gasket was fine..

Reactions: smritte