Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

I'd like to install a camera on my front bumper to help me navigate over some rough terrain - especially when going alone. One concern is latency, I played around with my GoPro on the bumper and there is a slight delay. Does anyone have any experience with wireless cameras on bumpers?I'm not going to use my GoPro, but have seen a lot of wireless cameras for trucks and RVs on Amazon, but no one talks about latency. I was trying to avoid running wires through the firewall but I've done that before with meh Tacoma, but it is never fun.

TwoRoadsOverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Cove, NY, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Cheney
Member #

I'm actually curious about this as well. I've had grandiose plans for a full 360-degree camera system, but wired. Would you be looking for something that is battery powered or just a power cable?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Funny i just ordered a wireless system for a license plate camera and the camera, they supposed to be delivered tomorrow so we will find out sometime this weekend.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

No i just picked the middle of the road on price hoping it will work the license plate camera i picked had a switch to go from rear to front and remove the lines the tx and rx are the one with antanne that look like a wireless router . Not sure yet where im going to mount it. Either on the bumper or the front diff center section. Id like it to be underneath looking out but i have concerns about it getting muddy. I may even end up with it in my grill somewhere.

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

I'm actually curious about this as well. I've had grandiose plans for a full 360-degree camera system, but wired. Would you be looking for something that is battery powered or just a power cable?
Easy to wire it to the battery (fused), but may skip the wireless option and install when I get back from NW Overland Rally.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I don't have wireless but I can tell you the front mounted camera mounted low really helps pick a good line. I have a 8" screen and the camera is a oem part so it was plug and play.

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
I installed a wired 360 camera setup on my 2017 f150 but with it being lifted 6” and 35s, having the front camera mounted in the grill is a bit too high for my liking. Even my wife made a comment that it makes the boulders look so small. But it did help at least seeing what was in front of me with the raised truck and going up an incline.

I’ll be adding the 360 camera setup on our grand cherokee trailhawk like I did on our previous 2015 GC and will look at mounting the camera a bit lower on the grill just above the front bumper.

maxboxa

Rank 0

Contributor I

SF Bay Area
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Johnson
i mounted cameras on my bumper and on my rear pumpkin to avoid the dreaded high center. but mine are wired to my alpine i209, so no latency. just wish they could make the diff seeking rocks disappear.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I intalled mine last night, the wireless system aint worth it it just blinks on and off at random intervals. I ended up hardwiring it. I installed camera just above th front diff but cant see much past my front hitch i am likely going to move it up toward the grill looking down so i can watch the winch cables and pick a better line id like to figure out what distance i need to use the guidelines.
20190620_192626.jpg

Reactions: Berkshires

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
What does the picture look like on your phone / screen from inside your rig?
The camera plugs in to the factory 8" screen. The resolution is something close to 1080, color is great, it's a very wide angle lens. Youtube has seveal vids on these front cameras.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
The camera plugs in to the factory 8" screen. The resolution is something close to 1080, color is great, it's a very wide angle lens. Youtube has seveal vids on these front cameras.
Nice! I'll research on YouTube. Although I can't connect another camera to my 8" screen because my backup camera is already hooked up. I may need to ask my local installer.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Nice! I'll research on YouTube. Although I can't connect another camera to my 8" screen because my backup camera is already hooked up. I may need to ask my local installer.
You keep your backup camera and it works when you are in reverse. When you want the front camera you press the back button for 5 seconds and the camera comes on, to turn it off you press the back button again. Ecomaster has info on the web site.

I got mine on sale for $400

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
You keep your backup camera and it works when you are in reverse. When you want the front camera you press the back button for 5 seconds and the camera comes on, to turn it off you press the back button again. Ecomaster has info on the web site.

I got mine on sale for $400
Cool, thanks for the link!

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I sent you a link for the Coloradoo but I'm sure there is a camera for your Silverado. These are a bit spendy but they are really well designed. You get a small module that attaches to the back of the info screen and all the harness is plug and play. Keep watching for a sale. Chev Accessories has a 20% off sale going right now. About what I paid at the xmas sale.

Reactions: RoarinRow