Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
Being new all I have is imagination. Being retired it has to be easy. If I poke down a skinny trail with a teardrop, and the trail gets impassable, I could see a front hitch being very handy, assuming I could get the truck turned around. My dad had a 20 foot boat on a trailer and had a front hitch on his landrover and damn that was a good set up. As easy as pushing a wheel barrow. But then you have a winch on the front bumper - sorry - I am too new to all this - thought I would see what folks here had to say.

Has anyone ever done front hitches with an overland rig?

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Mine came with one from the factory behind license plate good spot for a portable winch

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I had a front hitch and winch cradle on my Colorado while I waited for my bumper to be made. Curt mfg and drawtite have em , other than sticking out front an extra 2 ft or so and bottoming it out a few times I had no problem with the functionality of it. I do miss being able to move trailers around with the front of my truck but I have a front hitch on mt tractor too so not a huge loss.

In short they work for winches just fine and you don't have to have the winch attached all the time, it can get annoying to remember the extra length when parking. My bumper+ winch is atleast 50 lbs lighter than a front hitch/winch/cradle and it don't stick out like a sore thumb.

So yeah it works but I wouldnt recommend it unless you really need a front hitch.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I have a cargo carrier on my front receiver (see photo). I use it for a large cooler and a small generator. Works good but I don't plan on rock crawling. I have contemplated using a winch also but That is weight and space I don't really have. I could put a hitch ball if needed but haven't really had a need. I have no idea how people explore with a trailer?? Just came from N. Georgia mountains and can not conceive how one would operate in that terrain with a trailer. Also, I have rod holders on the passenger side that I keep a stick in to remind me I have the cargo carrier attached and a reference point for tight spaces.

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
I did find this YT that has a front hitch for a removable winch - not what I was looking for, but the hitch would work fine.

Look - I am utterly new to 4x4. I am not looking to rock crawl with this - it is about getting out of tight spaces. A front hitch would also allow you to negotiate hairpin turns for the simple reason the hitch would be right over the steering wheels. You have a massive amount more control with a front hitch. So yes - not only could you get out of tight places you could also get in MUCH worse ones. lol.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Time it takes to unhitch, spin everything around, hitch and repeat.......I can find a place to do a twenty point turn.

Depends how nice of a trailer it is. Ugly trailers, I just back right into the weeds, jackknife, and turn around. Only the tow vehicle needs to be half way on the trail.

mmp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lugoff, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Powell
Member #

I put a front hitch on my truck for parking trailers. It makes it so much easier and I don't need a spotter as I can see where I'm going. I have a M416 trailer that can be squirrly when backing up. The hitch didn't cost much and took me less than an hour to install myself.