Front 2 inch hitch

• HTML tutorial

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

Has anyone installed a high clearance front 2 inch hitch? I've looked at ones from Mobtown and CBI. I am interested in using it for either a front rack on the beach, portable winching, or recovery point as in the back. Any thoughts or ideas?

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I fitted one to the front and rear of mine with a winch mount that can be moved between them.
Have you been pulled with it much either with a strap or winch? Is it strong and secure when you do? I like the idea of being able to put a winch on front or back, and also off when not wheeling.

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

Have had it now for just over 2 years and have been pulled and winched and have also pulled others with no issues, my XJ is light though in comparison to many. Not sure I would do it again though would probably just fit a standard winch bumper to the front as it rarely ever gets put on the rear.

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

A good gauge would be to compare your vehicle weight to the rated capacity of the hitch mount. If you're using it as a recovery point you'll want a wide margin between the two to account for resistance.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I use a standard curt 2" front mount hitch on my dodge to house my winch. I did find a company that makes a hitch that mounts from the tow good mounting points in the middle of the front bumper. Had I known that was an option I would have done that to get the winch up higher.

E.J.

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
EJ
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6WPP
If you have, or know anyone with, a welder and skills you could make one. A friend and I spent about $150-200 in metal and parts and made one for my FJ Cruiser. I love the ability to move my winch to the back and easily rescue friends who get stuck on the trail behind me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

If you have, or know anyone with, a welder and skills you could make one. A friend and I spent about $150-200 in metal and parts and made one for my FJ Cruiser. I love the ability to move my winch to the back and easily rescue friends who get stuck on the trail behind me!

I do like that bumper, very nice FJ.

Reactions: 3ilnouri

E.J.

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
EJ
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6WPP
Thanks! It was a lot of fun making the bumper. I love a little creative challenge. ;-)

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
Hi there! Cliff here.
I added a Draw Tite front hitch to my truck to mount my winch. But it was too low, so I modified the winch mount by cutting off the hitch tube and welded it back onto the mount with 3/16 thick plates and raised it up 4 inches. Now the winch is 16 inches off the ground. I will be adding a 5 inch lift and larger tires to the truck as soon as I can afford to; then the winch will be 22 inches off the ground, which should be good.
After I run battery power to the rear of the truck, I will be able to use the winch at the rear.
Attached are some photos.
Good luck with your project.

20170203_100231.jpg20170203_100218.jpg20170203_100218.jpg20170203_100159.jpg20170128_121703.jpg20170203_100256.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using OB Talk mobile app

Attachments