from Wrangler to Tacoma or?

• HTML tutorial

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
Totally agree with you. IFS, is much better then a live axle, for comfort on the road. A 70 series is even worse then a Jeep for road manners (like the Jeep solid front and rear axles). The 70 series has stiff springs do to the hi GVWR. Unless it is really loaded, road manners are Terrible. Even so, would be my first choice for a Overland vehicle. Many of the same compromises I'm already making with my JKU.
Unfortunately 70 series will not likely make it to the US market. The workhorse market is already well covered much like how toyota owns the rest of the soccer loving world.

I'm in the philippines on vacation and i enjoy checking out sone if the rigs here. A few Prados, LC100, 60 but your typical traffic sees a lot of hilux, ford ranger (looks great), nissan patrols and mitsubishi pajeros. Bunch of rigs with snorkels since they need it - a rain spit can result in flooding :). J/k but sonewhat true. Real Jeeps are new here and considered mostly as a rich folks toys.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Just thought I'd bring this back up. Been talking to the wife a bit and looking around and realized with the options I was looking at on the Tacoma, a 4Runner TRD Pro is about the same price (although I might like to actually figure out what was out there in previous years and buy slightly used to save some depreciation next time around if there are some used models with similar/same offroad features). Any opinion on the 4Runner vs. the Taco if I decided I didn't need a truck bed? Still planning to run the Jeep for a while so a lot of this is for probably 18-24 months down the road anyway at which point today's TRD Pro for example will now be used and better pricing (although I'm sure my Wrangler won't still have a KBB of around 22.6K once the JL's hit and it has a few more years of age)

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Just thought I'd bring this back up. Been talking to the wife a bit and looking around and realized with the options I was looking at on the Tacoma, a 4Runner TRD Pro is about the same price (although I might like to actually figure out what was out there in previous years and buy slightly used to save some depreciation next time around if there are some used models with similar/same offroad features). Any opinion on the 4Runner vs. the Taco if I decided I didn't need a truck bed? Still planning to run the Jeep for a while so a lot of this is for probably 18-24 months down the road anyway at which point today's TRD Pro for example will now be used and better pricing (although I'm sure my Wrangler won't still have a KBB of around 22.6K once the JL's hit and it has a few more years of age)
I bought a 2015 short bed double cab Tacoma trd off-road and it’s worked out to be a great all around truck for my uses. It’s my daily driver and has a shell with an rtt and a fridge on a slider in the bed so it really has become an suv. IMO the Tacoma or 4 Runner are great vehicles. Extremely reliable, incredible resale value and a good all around wheeler when talking size, capability, cargo room and aftermarket support. IMO The off-road edge between the two goes to the 4Runner with a much better departure angle, but I like having the extra cargo space separate from the cabin so I went with the Tacoma and eventually plan on upgrading the rear bumper with a high clearance swing away when I can. I could’ve bought a 2016 but decided to buy one of the two 2015 trd off-roads left on the lot because of the proven reliability of the 4.0 and rest of the drivetrain in the 2nd gen models, I don’t like the idea of buying the first model year of anything.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I bought a 2015 short bed double cab Tacoma trd off-road and it’s worked out to be a great all around truck for my uses. It’s my daily driver and has a shell with an rtt and a fridge on a slider in the bed so it really has become an suv. IMO the Tacoma or 4 Runner are great vehicles. Extremely reliable, incredible resale value and a good all around wheeler when talking size, capability, cargo room and aftermarket support. IMO The off-road edge between the two goes to the 4Runner with a much better departure angle, but I like having the extra cargo space separate from the cabin so I went with the Tacoma and eventually plan on upgrading the rear bumper with a high clearance swing away when I can. I could’ve bought a 2016 but decided to buy one of the two 2015 trd off-roads left on the lot because of the proven reliability of the 4.0 and rest of the drivetrain in the 2nd gen models, I don’t like the idea of buying the first model year of anything.

Thanks for the info. Yeah that's one thing I worry about vs. the Jeep is aftermarket support and I'm guessing the Tacoma is better in that area by a lot than the 4Runner. One of my favorite Jeep armor brands JCR actually has a sister company now Victory that is doing stuff for 3rd gen Tacomas and I know I've seen some aftermarket bumpers and stuff for a 4Runner but it definitely doesn't look as clean as something like a Wrangler or a pickup where you might expect to see something like that. I guess it's hard to blend into the body lines and still give clearance/etc. on something like a 4Runner.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I'm knida in the same boat.. (14 JKU w/a manual). While I love the Jeep and want a truck. I can't get past the front end of the Taco.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Thanks for the info. Yeah that's one thing I worry about vs. the Jeep is aftermarket support and I'm guessing the Tacoma is better in that area by a lot than the 4Runner. One of my favorite Jeep armor brands JCR actually has a sister company now Victory that is doing stuff for 3rd gen Tacomas and I know I've seen some aftermarket bumpers and stuff for a 4Runner but it definitely doesn't look as clean as something like a Wrangler or a pickup where you might expect to see something like that. I guess it's hard to blend into the body lines and still give clearance/etc. on something like a 4Runner.
It seems to me that the smaller fab companies making really cool armor and stuff tend to specialize specifically with either one brand like Toyota or Jeep or even more specific by model. I’ve seen some great stuff on 4Runners only to find out that they only make 4Runner stuff and nothing for my taco. I’d bet that you’d find that there’s just as much 4Runner stuff out there when you start looking specifically for 4Runner aftermarket companies.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I'm knida in the same boat.. (14 JKU w/a manual). While I love the Jeep and want a truck. I can't get past the front end of the Taco.
When you install the a new bumper the goofy front end goes away! I love my 2nd gen taco but I do miss my old Tj sometimes...

Reactions: Hafaday

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I must be weird I like the way the front looks. It's one of the reasons I started looking at something besides Jeeps, it doesn't look pretty much like every other basic pickup truck. Something just doesn't sit right with me about the look of the Chevy stuff, the Nissan stuff is blah looking, and Dodge and Ford are just making full size stuff which I definitely don't want. The Taco actually has some character to it to my eyes.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I must be weird I like the way the front looks. It's one of the reasons I started looking at something besides Jeeps, it doesn't look pretty much like every other basic pickup truck. Something just doesn't sit right with me about the look of the Chevy stuff, the Nissan stuff is blah looking, and Dodge and Ford are just making full size stuff which I definitely don't want. The Taco actually has some character to it to my eyes.
They are growing on me, i just like teasing my buddy about his front end since he has a third gen and I have a second gen. Truth be told, I actually like the looks of the 1st gen tacos best. I really like the front end of the new 4Runners quite a lot too.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Not to derail the thread... I’m also kinda holding out for the new Jeep truck.

Rumor has it as... rolls out in late 18, will be available with 3 different engines with the diesel being last, at a year later.

Latest news has towing at 6500lbs. So I see it as a contender in the field of midsize trucks. But still to early to tell.

Sent from space using MyphoneOB Talk

Reactions: Rubicajon

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I may be able to help. I drove a 2-door JK for years, 3" lift on long arms and 35's. I then had a 2013 4Runner, then a 2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road, and now back in a 2016 4Runner. My brother also drives a built 2014 Grand Cherokee. It's kind of a long story but I'll keep it to the key points and if you have other questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.

What started me questioning the Jeep was moving from Tucson to the Bay Area, the impracticality of the Jeep on the freeway started getting to me. Then my buddy took me on a ride in his new-to-him 3rd gen 4Runner on 33's, we ran Charouleau Gap outside of Tucson and I was left wondering why I was driving a Jeep. The comfort and control on washboard alone blew me away. Started looking into it and after assessing my needs got into a new 2013 4Runner. I built that up on a 2" lift with 33's and took it all over California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah. Handled Fin's and Things in Moab no problem. Sold it to my Dad because he was retiring in Baja at the time and needed a rig. Picked up an FZJ80 Land Cruiser in the interim until the new Tacoma came out.

I always assumed Tacoma's were basically 4Runner's with a bed but after a few months the little differences began to add up. Namely the seating position, general ergonomics, and interior quality began to show. Also had peculiarly small cupholders for a vehicle made in 2016? My brother and I took a week-long trip to Canyonlands in it and on the drive back both agree'd I should trade it in and get back into a 4Runner, we just find them much more comfortable. Granted, we didn't need the pickup bed, or the extra cargo capacity, which isn't everyone's situation. I will say the Taco was stout, we had it overloaded in Canyonlands and wheeled it all the way out to the Dollhouse without a problem.

Regarding capability, 4Runner's have a considerable advantage offroad over Tacoma's, namely due to their wheelbase. The significance of this depends on the kind of trails you're on though. The front end is essentially the same, but 4Runner's use a 4-link rear coil setup instead of leafs and feature a fully boxed frame instead of partial c-channel. 4Runner is also available with a full-time 4wd transfer case. I say that only because I think your initial post mentioned some questions about capability. The best way to think of 4Runner is as a longer wheelbase FJ Cruiser (same platform) with better visibility. The Lexus GX460 is built on the same platform, which is sold overseas as the Land Cruiser Prado. I would not concern yourself over diff strength, failures are uncommon unless you're running Rubicon trail type terrain. The front cv half-shafts are stout, yet engineered weaker than the diff so if you do happen to break something it'll likely be a cv which are easily replaced on the trail, no pounding out u-joints. All 4wd 4Runner's and Tacoma's come with ATRAC tractional control which is all you'll need for moderate trails, although locker's on the higher end models are an added benefit.

To try and wrap it up, the 4Runner platform continues to impress me. Significantly less fatigue while driving compared to both the Jeep and Tacoma, yet impressively capable. There's plenty of armor options out there, as well as suspension and all other common modifications. My brother's Grand Cherokee is also very comfortable, features more luxury, and a 5.7 hemi. That said we've got it on an old man emu lift and 32" KO2's and he drags his undercarriage and gets hung up frequently. The biggest tires you can reasonable fit are 32's. The WK2 platform simply lacks the clearance necessary for a lot of the more moderate overland trails. We got it over Steel Pass in Death Valley but wouldn't want to attempt Mengel Pass in it. We find that the traction control they're using on the Grand Cherokee's isn't as efficient as that on 4Runner or Tacoma, his truck cuts engine power a lot and he ends up needing rocks stacked or a winch pull. It's a lovely vehicle though and may work depending on what you're asking out of it.

Other options out there I'd consider would be a Lexus GX460, Land Cruiser 200, Nissan Armada, or the new Discovery. Quite a range there in size but they all have the 4wd chops. Again depends on individual applications/needs.

Hope that helps and sorry for the novel, just trying to hit all the important stuff.

Last edited:

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Small build thread if you're interested, there's a few pics of the Tacoma and my brother's Grand Cherokee mixed in there as well: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/236107-wampa-jr-build.html

and a quick cellphone video sending Mengel Pass:

Hey thanks for the info that was really helpful. Just curious do you know offhand what's the largest diameter tire you can fit on a 4Runner with either no lift or a small lift but no cutting? I'm assuming there are programmer tools out there as well to adjust the computer for the new size as well? My Jeep came stock with 32, now has 285/75/17's (basically a 34) and the stock size on the Tacoma and 4Runner is significantly smaller (just under 31). Although I see the KO2 comes in the stock size so I guess that could work (running Nitto right now). The 4Runner is really sounding like a good idea to me as I'd really only have super occasional use for a truck bed. I literally just assumed a truck was more capable than the 4Runner but it sounds like I was way wrong on that.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Hey thanks for the info that was really helpful. Just curious do you know offhand what's the largest diameter tire you can fit on a 4Runner with either no lift or a small lift but no cutting? I'm assuming there are programmer tools out there as well to adjust the computer for the new size as well? My Jeep came stock with 32, now has 285/75/17's (basically a 34) and the stock size on the Tacoma and 4Runner is significantly smaller (just under 31). Although I see the KO2 comes in the stock size so I guess that could work (running Nitto right now). The 4Runner is really sounding like a good idea to me as I'd really only have super occasional use for a truck bed. I literally just assumed a truck was more capable than the 4Runner but it sounds like I was way wrong on that.
No problem, switching from a Tacoma back to a 4Runner was an expensive lesson so I'm happy to share my experience.

On both the Tacoma and 4Runner, tire size is generally limited to a body mount that attaches to the frame behind the front wheel (a frame outrigger). Google "body mount chop" or "cab mount chop" A common lift/tire size is 2-3" front lift with 33" tires. Keeping lift to 2.5" keeps the cv-joint angles down in front, which reduces premature ware on the boot that could lead to boot failure down the line. Lift can be a spacer, aftermarket strut like a bilsetin, or 2.0 or 2.5" body coilover. Coilovers can give you extended downtravel. Caster-corrected aftermarket front upper control arms are recommended over 2" of lift to maintain steering geometry and help to move the tire away from that body mount.

32's and a mild lift (~1inch) will fit no problem. Both Tacoma and 4Runner have somewhat soft factory struts so you get a lot of nose-dive under braking, so many people like to upgrade to a nicer strut just for that. You can buy the same struts put on the TRD Pro models to fix this if you want a factory lift with a Toyota part number.

Some people, myself included, get tire rub with 33's on that body mount. It's an easy job for a shop to trim the mount with a grinder and weld a new cap on it. Takes maybe an hour and is quite common. I had 32's on the Tacoma with no lift and it didn't rub, the 3rd gen Tacoma's sit about an inch higher in front than the 5th gen 4Runners. I'll be putting 34's on after my 33's wear out. I'm running a long-travel rear though so have room to flex it out. A few people have mounted 35's but that takes some significant fender modding.

As far as I know there are no programers like for Jeep, luckily we're not putting 37's on so the difference is not considerable to most. I do use a Sprint Booster to remap the electronic throttle, the 4Runner's throttle response is heavily weighted towards efficiency. Manual transmission Tacoma's maintain a standard cable throttle which is nice.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/156378-going-bigger-5th-gen-tire-fitment-guide.html#post1550444

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Oh wow I totally missed that the 265/70 on the 4Runner is a 17 not a 16 like the Taco. Well that's a whole different story then. I actually ran that size on my Jeep for about 5 years 4 of those with my lift while I did other mods and eventually had money for new larger tires once the 265/70's wore out. There's a LOT of options out there in that size too. Thanks for the info though on fitting the larger stuff.

Reactions: Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I may be able to help. I drove a 2-door JK for years, 3" lift on long arms and 35's. I then had a 2013 4Runner, then a 2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road, and now back in a 2016 4Runner. My brother also drives a built 2014 Grand Cherokee. It's kind of a long story but I'll keep it to the key points and if you have other questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.

What started me questioning the Jeep was moving from Tucson to the Bay Area, the impracticality of the Jeep on the freeway started getting to me. Then my buddy took me on a ride in his new-to-him 3rd gen 4Runner on 33's, we ran Charouleau Gap outside of Tucson and I was left wondering why I was driving a Jeep. The comfort and control on washboard alone blew me away. Started looking into it and after assessing my needs got into a new 2013 4Runner. I built that up on a 2" lift with 33's and took it all over California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah. Handled Fin's and Things in Moab no problem. Sold it to my Dad because he was retiring in Baja at the time and needed a rig. Picked up an FZJ80 Land Cruiser in the interim until the new Tacoma came out.

I always assumed Tacoma's were basically 4Runner's with a bed but after a few months the little differences began to add up. Namely the seating position, general ergonomics, and interior quality began to show. Also had peculiarly small cupholders for a vehicle made in 2016? My brother and I took a week-long trip to Canyonlands in it and on the drive back both agree'd I should trade it in and get back into a 4Runner, we just find them much more comfortable. Granted, we didn't need the pickup bed, or the extra cargo capacity, which isn't everyone's situation. I will say the Taco was stout, we had it overloaded in Canyonlands and wheeled it all the way out to the Dollhouse without a problem.

Regarding capability, 4Runner's have a considerable advantage offroad over Tacoma's, namely due to their wheelbase. The significance of this depends on the kind of trails you're on though. The front end is essentially the same, but 4Runner's use a 4-link rear coil setup instead of leafs and feature a fully boxed frame instead of partial c-channel. 4Runner is also available with a full-time 4wd transfer case. I say that only because I think your initial post mentioned some questions about capability. The best way to think of 4Runner is as a longer wheelbase FJ Cruiser (same platform) with better visibility. The Lexus GX460 is built on the same platform, which is sold overseas as the Land Cruiser Prado. I would not concern yourself over diff strength, failures are uncommon unless you're running Rubicon trail type terrain. The front cv half-shafts are stout, yet engineered weaker than the diff so if you do happen to break something it'll likely be a cv which are easily replaced on the trail, no pounding out u-joints. All 4wd 4Runner's and Tacoma's come with ATRAC tractional control which is all you'll need for moderate trails, although locker's on the higher end models are an added benefit.

To try and wrap it up, the 4Runner platform continues to impress me. Significantly less fatigue while driving compared to both the Jeep and Tacoma, yet impressively capable. There's plenty of armor options out there, as well as suspension and all other common modifications. My brother's Grand Cherokee is also very comfortable, features more luxury, and a 5.7 hemi. That said we've got it on an old man emu lift and 32" KO2's and he drags his undercarriage and gets hung up frequently. The biggest tires you can reasonable fit are 32's. The WK2 platform simply lacks the clearance necessary for a lot of the more moderate overland trails. We got it over Steel Pass in Death Valley but wouldn't want to attempt Mengel Pass in it. We find that the traction control they're using on the Grand Cherokee's isn't as efficient as that on 4Runner or Tacoma, his truck cuts engine power a lot and he ends up needing rocks stacked or a winch pull. It's a lovely vehicle though and may work depending on what you're asking out of it.

Other options out there I'd consider would be a Lexus GX460, Land Cruiser 200, Nissan Armada, or the new Discovery. Quite a range there in size but they all have the 4wd chops. Again depends on individual applications/needs.

Hope that helps and sorry for the novel, just trying to hit all the important stuff.
Not all of the Tacoma’s have ATrac. My buddy has a 2016 non trd off-road that only has Trac. From what I’ve read it’s a less effective version of ATrac. My 2015 trd off-road has ATrac. I think it’s only offered on the trd off-road models but I don’t know about the 4Runners though.

Reactions: Sparky