from Wrangler to Tacoma or?

• HTML tutorial

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Hey guys, currently running a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited. Thinking of moving to something else now that I've found the world of overlanding and realized I don't really want to build for rock crawling. I've never really looked at Toyota stuff before but always liked the looks of the newer Tacoma trucks so I was thinking about moving to one. Just wondering what thoughts were on a move like that and/or if there were other suggestions for vehicles.

I'd still want something that can run some mild-moderate trails occasionally but no hardcore rock crawling or anything like that. So I'd be hesitant to do a 4Runner (at least a new one) or anything like that, but maybe they're more capable than I think they are? The Tacoma fits the price range better though as well.

Was looking at something like the TRD Offroad model to get the factory locker/etc. My Jeep is a sport with just an LSD in the rear.

I'm just kind of thinking about it at this point. The Jeep will finally be paid off next March, and it will be my first time without a payment in like 20+ years (keep trading them in 1-2 years before the loan is up) so I was thinking of enjoying the no payment thing for a bit first. Also of course then the Jeep truck might be out and be an extra option to look at.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I'd say enjoy not having a payment for a while then make a decision if you are really ready to move away from your jeep. Do you need a truck or just want one? It would be cheaper to add a locker to your jeep then replace it with a TRD for the benefit of the locker.

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I'd say enjoy not having a payment for a while then make a decision if you are really ready to move away from your jeep. Do you need a truck or just want one? It would be cheaper to add a locker to your jeep then replace it with a TRD for the benefit of the locker.
Now that I own a house there's definitely been some situations where having a truck could be useful though at least with the 4 door Wrangler I can manage to fit lumber in it pretty well vs. if I had a 2 door. It's partly also seeing the newer Tacoma and really liking the styling on them. So I guess some of it's the new shiny vehicle syndrome, though I'd probably buy at least one year back used and avoid the 1st year depreciation hit for once. I definitely want to enjoy not having the payment for a while. Just mostly doing some initial research on what might be a good replacement if I was to get rid of the Jeep.

Looking basically for something that will maintain a "high clearance" rating but be a bit more comfortable than a twin solid axle Jeep. So no Subaru or other similar things that sit lower to the ground without a lot of mods. So I was thinking of things like Tacoma, 4Runner if I found a good used one for a good price, maybe a used Grand Cherokee Trailhawk or Overland/Summit model, stuff like that.

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Absolutely nothing wrong with a JKU for the Overlanding gig, I'd take that car payment cash and put it towards some storage/recovery solutions and go Overlanding with it... :expressionless:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah that's been the plan. Just want to double check "the plan" before I get in too deep with spending on it after its paid off. One of the first things that was planned is a re-gear and lockers while it's apart because I put some 34's on and it needs to get some power back. Didn't want to jump into that if I might end up replacing it.

HankinWI

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Crosse, La Crosse County, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
Hank
Last Name
Brinlee
Member #

I'm developing my own style of Overlanding (I call it "Overland Lite"). After reviewing my own 40+ year history of camping/off-road exploring, only a few trips have been longer than a few days but there's plenty of fun to be had in a long weekend. I believe if you keep your JKU lightly loaded, it should be fine with the current gearset. Now, if you load it down with all of today's modern conveniences...that might be another story. As I understand it, a 7K lb JKU is not much fun to drive... :grinning:

Reactions: Brandon Harvey

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
I had a 2015 tacoma and just got 2017 tacoma trd offroad. I am very happy with the tacoma but the way the transmission shifts is somewhat annoying. Besides that it's very nice. It has crawl control, locking rear diff, and the multi terrain select. None of that is as good as a paid off vehicle that is already very capable off road. $500 or $600 a month can pay for a lot of mods and a lot of fuel to get out and explore. That coming from the guy that traded his tacoma in after two years but they gave me full payoff for my old one and a sweet deal on this one so I couldn't pass it up. The 2015 just had regular 4wd so it was nothing special.

You could also get a winch and a set of maxtrax and not really have to worry about getting stuck for the most part. Best of all you still have no new payment. There are plenty of people off roading or overlanding with jeeps and toyotas so I don't you'll go wrong either way.

Reactions: HankinWI

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I'm developing my own style of Overlanding (I call it "Overland Lite"). After reviewing my own 40+ year history of camping/off-road exploring, only a few trips have been longer than a few days but there's plenty of fun to be had in a long weekend. I believe if you keep your JKU lightly loaded, it should be fine with the current gearset. Now, if you load it down with all of today's modern conveniences...that might be another story. As I understand it, a 7K lb JKU is not much fun to drive... :grinning:
Yeah it definitely would be nicer with a regear. I'm running a manual transmission with 3.73 vs the 4.10 the Rubicon trim gets with manual. Also thinking swapping to an auto trans would be really nice but we'll see. You guys gave me some good stuff to think about though.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using OB Talk

Reactions: HankinWI

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Might as well buy a full size if you're already paying TRD prices. Hell I've got front and rear lockers and electronic disconnectable sway bar and I only paid about 7k more than a brand new TRD Offroad, and have twice the payload and tow capacity.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Since I love my JKU sport as a Overlanding vehicle, my opinion should be considered biased. Pocket the money from a new vehicle payment. Rent a flat bed truck from Home Depot or ???, for those home improvement projects. Build you JKU for Overlanding. This is the route I took, and I'm very happy. When I'm on the trail with others, I'm never worried. I know everyone, that doesn't drive a Jeep, will get stuck way before me. Engineering wise, your Dana44 axle is much stronger the the 8" in the current Toyota's. This is not based on opinion, but the empirical evidence. (The GAWR D44 with 30 spline axle is 5340 lbs. The GAWR for Toyota 8" with 30 spline in US vehicles is 4220 lbs)

Last edited:
Reactions: OffroadTreks

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

A 4 door jeep can make an excellent overland rig if it's properly outfitted. I am going on an overland trip to eastern Montana in two weeks, and both of us have 4 door jeeps. I've tent camped for years various jeeps, but just switched to an off road trailer, but the Jeep is a great platform. Heck, one guy I know sleeps in the back of his jeep, an another uses a tent that attaches to the rear of the jeep. Lots and lots of options without buying a new rig...

Reactions: Jeff Graham

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

The $ you would spend on a monthly payment would go a long way to upgrades on the Heep. But.......IMG_0456.JPGwho doesn't like Tacos?

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
The $ you would spend on a monthly payment would go a long way to upgrades on the Heep. But.......View attachment 32159who doesn't like Tacos?
I know you meant this in a joking way. To each their own, I love the historical reliability of Toyotas. A Toyota build is probably in my future. I for one will never buy an Independent suspension vehicle. I don't like the compromises it makes. Toyota, in every market outside of North America, agrees with me. The Solid axle Land Cruisers, specifically the bullet proof 70 series, would by my first choice for Overlanding if they where sold in the USA. So I respect the comfort of the Current Tacomas, I don't like the plastic, off road compromised, version sold in the US. With this said, often the perfect vehicle for weekend warriors: Comfort, reliability, payload, etc...

Reactions: Jeepney

flyinion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Anyone use a Grand Cherokee? I was poking around on Carmax and noticed you can get a 14 or 15 with 35-50K on it for about $30K or so in the Overland or Summit 4x4 flavors. That's like 40-50% cheaper than new off the lot and is also like the luxury trims.

Reactions: Sparky

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

I know you meant this in a joking way. To each their own, I love the historical reliability of Toyotas. A Toyota build is probably in my future. I for one will never buy an Independent suspension vehicle. I don't like the compromises it makes. Toyota, in every market outside of North America, agrees with me. The Solid axle Land Cruisers, specifically the bullet proof 70 series, would by my first choice for Overlanding if they where sold in the USA. So I respect the comfort of the Current Tacomas, I don't like the plastic, off road compromised, version sold in the US. With this said, often the perfect vehicle for weekend warriors: Comfort, reliability, payload, etc...
Just like all vehicles in today's US market, there are good and bad. The wheel base a straight axle of the wrangler make it a good off-road machine. But road manners in my opinion are terrible. I've been in one the had a good road ride and it had over $7000 worth of shocks on it. Since most of the time I have to cover a whole lot of asphalt to get to whatever back country adventure. I will enjoy the ride of my Taco. I've never owned a jeep but several of my friends do and the one thing we all agree on is a 70 series Cruiser would be cooler than everything.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
And road manner of a 70 series is closer to a jeep than any of the toyota offering we have here on NA. So folks clamoring on 70s yet saying all negative things on a jeep probably doesn't u derstand that 70 is much closer to a jeep or a defender than to a tacoma or 4runner, and not even close to the current LC sold in NA.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Just like all vehicles in today's US market, there are good and bad. The wheel base a straight axle of the wrangler make it a good off-road machine. But road manners in my opinion are terrible. I've been in one the had a good road ride and it had over $7000 worth of shocks on it. Since most of the time I have to cover a whole lot of asphalt to get to whatever back country adventure. I will enjoy the ride of my Taco. I've never owned a jeep but several of my friends do and the one thing we all agree on is a 70 series Cruiser would be cooler than everything.
Totally agree with you. IFS, is much better then a live axle, for comfort on the road. A 70 series is even worse then a Jeep for road manners (like the Jeep solid front and rear axles). The 70 series has stiff springs do to the hi GVWR. Unless it is really loaded, road manners are Terrible. Even so, would be my first choice for a Overland vehicle. Many of the same compromises I'm already making with my JKU.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
And road manner of a 70 series is closer to a jeep than any of the toyota offering we have here on NA. So folks clamoring on 70s yet saying all negative things on a jeep probably doesn't u derstand that 70 is much closer to a jeep or a defender than to a tacoma or 4runner, and not even close to the current LC sold in NA.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Very true! I drive a JKU, because it is as close to a 70 series as I can get in North America. I'm waiting for the Diesal Jeep Truck, will install full float D60 axles, to close the gap with a 70 series.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Anyone use a Grand Cherokee? I was poking around on Carmax and noticed you can get a 14 or 15 with 35-50K on it for about $30K or so in the Overland or Summit 4x4 flavors. That's like 40-50% cheaper than new off the lot and is also like the luxury trims.
No experience, but would love to get a Diesal Grand Cherokee.

CO_R1T

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

I just joined today and have been poking around the forum and found your post. I have a JGC like you've asked about and I love it. So far I haven't taken it on much more than camping trips in OBX where its seen quite a lot of sand, but it's making headway for future trips. I have some background in offroad travel, and can say I'm quite impressed with the Jeep. It's not triple locked, twin solid axle'd like Wranglers, but it is extremely compliant on the highway and provides the level of offroad capability I will be needing it for. Plus the diesel is quick (after the turbo lag), the 8AT is quite good, the offroad tech does its job well, and gets me about 650 miles per tank on the highway.

Reactions: Jeff Graham