Fridge Power Connections

• HTML tutorial

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

The wife and I jumped on a really good group buy over on T4R for a Indel-B Fridge. Used it for the first time last weekend and can't belive we waited this long to get one, absolutely amazing!

I've got 12V in the back of both my rigs, but I want to change the standard 12v outlet to something a little more robust. I'm thinking a bulkhead style fitting that I can mount in both trucks and my pop-up trailer. What is everyone using, or is a standard 12V Cigarette plug good enough?

Thanks!

Reactions: Chris Arnesen

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
Check out the offerings from Powerwerx (https://powerwerx.com/). Still seeing so many cigarette plug connectors on the market makes me cringe, especially when there are much better connectors like Anderson Powerpoles out there.

Anderson Powerpoles work especially well when devices need easy capability to be unplugged and moved around. The connectors are also gender-less, so it's easy to make things like cord extensions and the like. Just be sure to keep your polarity correct! :-)

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I ran my own wiring through a Blue Sea fuse block wired directly to the battery, to the rear of the truck. Blue Sea also offers a cig adapter for a panel installation. Robust wiring (for better efficiency) and constant power (not tied to the ignition) works well. When I first had the ARB, it was run fro the factory 12V in the rear. It worked well enough but the whole tied to the ignition thing meant it was powered off at night. A few large water bottles, and cool nights helped keep everything cold until morning.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Check out the offerings from Powerwerx (https://powerwerx.com/). Still seeing so many cigarette plug connectors on the market makes me cringe, especially when there are much better connectors like Anderson Powerpoles out there.

Anderson Powerpoles work especially well when devices need easy capability to be unplugged and moved around. The connectors are also gender-less, so it's easy to make things like cord extensions and the like. Just be sure to keep your polarity correct! :-)
This is the direction I finally went after providing 12V powered cig plugs, I decided that it was too sketchy of a connection, subject to vibration it could back out leaving the fridge without power.

Anderson connectors are great but a little fussy to wire up just right and use the right gage of wire, etc. I recommend soldering the connections.
Universality (I just made that up) is great, 12v extension cords are easy to make, reliability, all that make it worth your while to do it right the first time.

bajatacoguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portsmouth NH
First Name
John
Last Name
Lomastro
Member #

So you have You blue sea 12v connected directly to the battery (hot all the time) and keep the fridge plugged in? Starting the truck from time to time to assure the battery keeps charged?

—————————

Hey Now!

BigJoe1960

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

They have it all, wiring my truck to my camper with Anderson plug now. I have two batteries in the camper and they will be hot while rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Anderson are great. I switched to a SAE plug which is cheaper but still pretty good. I have had no issues. You can't go wrong with Anderson plugs though. Just more expensive.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So you have You blue sea 12v connected directly to the battery (hot all the time) and keep the fridge plugged in? Starting the truck from time to time to assure the battery keeps charged?

—————————

Hey Now!

I have a very similar setup. Fridge is hot all the time but I added a switch to turn it off if I feel like it. I run solar to keep things charged up. As mentioned in another post I use an SAE connection vs traditional plug or Anderson.

Reactions: bajatacoguy

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR

Yeah, I'm leaving out a lot of details. I have a 2-battery setup that are separated, one for starting duties, one for "house" duties. When the car is started, they are both charging.
I also run a solar panel if I will be parked/camped for long periods, but more important than that for battery life, is that when I have the car parked in the driveway, which is sometimes days or a week, I have it plugged in to a trickle charger that knows how to manage AGM batteries.
That has turned a 5 year battery into a 7 year and still going strong battery. *knock wood*

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
Thanks for the recommendation, I really like those Anderson Connectors, looks like a clean way to go!
Anderson Connectors are great. I first became aware of them when I was starting to get interested in Ham radio. They have become the default type of power connector in that hobby due to its ease of use and ultra-reliability. After a while, I invested in a crimper, a set of different size connectors and have not looked back. I am not very mechanically inclined but with the right crimper, it's really easy to make a great connection.

The one piece of advice that I would offer is to make sure that you use the right size connector for the fridge. My set of Anderson Connectors came in 15 Amp, 30 Amp and 45 Amp.Anderson Powerpole Amp Ratings.jpg
While I have not tried other types of Anderson Powerpole connectors, I know that they come in different styles and configurations to suit various needs. Best of luck with your install!

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
Great information here. Thank you!
I have just come across another solution, which will allow you to retain the functionality of a rear-mounted 12 Volt accessory port whilst upgrading to a more secure screw-in type connection for certain uses.

ARB have developed a Fridge Freezer DC power cord and power plug solution for the more adventurous 4WD owner who wants to minimize the voltage drop in the electrical connection and have a secure plug when traversing corrugated roads. The 12v plug tip can be removed and the special two pin plug can be screwed into the matching ARB power socket for a secure connection. The 12v plug end includes a replaceable fuse, while the threaded section has a locating pin to ensure correct polarity.

arb22 014_.jpg

The operation of this new style of 12v power connector is probably best illustrated by watching the following short video: