Fridge or Sliders

• HTML tutorial

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Just need to ask the moose to lie down before hitting them....
It's a known technique for Australian overlanders. Here it is caught on video:

@James R --- one more thought on fridges. Many people who have one find them super useful every day, not just on trips -- you can get groceries, pick up a 6 pack on Friday morning on the way to whatever salt mine you toil away at and it's cold by the time you quit work and head home, etc.

Reactions: James R

James R

Rank I

Traveler I

Guelph, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Rankin
Member #

Thanks for the input, 3+ is what i have been doing, mainly week trips but looking at multiple week trips in remote parts of Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic provinces. Once I have built my skills up would likely do more solo trips, hard to find others who can take three weeks off for a trip.

Not looking for trouble in remote areas so will opt to avoid rock sliding/water if i can. Do not want to break stuff in northern Ontario, very long way to help.

I just realized where you were from. I've got some history with Guelph myself, and am very familiar with Northern Ontario (Grew up on Northwestern ON). Plenty of good routes for adventure in that part of the world, and the majority of it is improved roads or gravel. Definitely some technical trails too of course -- Giving you the trail guide from Ontario was a coincidence but hopefully that resource is helpful to you in other ways too.

Have you considered front-end protection and winch mounting? You are way, way more likely to hit a deer or become bogged than you are to scrape a sill, especially in most of Ontario; hitting a critter is often an unavoidable surprise. Getting stuck in mud can happen even if the terrain isn't technical and there's only a few inches of it or there's an incline. In both these situations sliders are not useful, but front end protection will make the difference between a good story for the next campfire, and a tragic tale that ends your trip and maybe costs you your vehicle. A good bumper gives you a solid and proven self-recovery option (Especially in the Shield; no shortage of muskeg to get in trouble with, but also no shortage of trees to winch from usually) as well as animal strike protection if you go for one with a proper hoop. Sliders on the other hand -- I've always been able to avoid needing to rely on sliders. Careful line selection or even giving up on a trail are always options, so a situation where you 'need' sliders is a lot easier to avoid than a situation where you 'need' to stop Bambi from eating your cooling system.

I also fully agree with @Alanymarce on the tires comment. Good AT tires will make more of a difference in the off-road performance of your vehicle than any other modification you will likely make.
Love the Bambi comment, was just up there this summer doing some reconnaissance, planning on returning there this summer. Any recommendations.

On the bumper side im not sure what is legal in Ontario.

i am unsure of what it is legal to do on the front end.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Fridge. Behind the Long Range fuel tank, it is my 2nd favorite modification.

I put sliders on my Jeep TJ within 2 years of ownership, but I have not put them on my Land Cruiser since I bought it 5 years ago. I use the vehicles differently.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Love the Bambi comment, was just up there this summer doing some reconnaissance, planning on returning there this summer. Any recommendations.

There are a few options. ARB make one - the nice thing about the GX470 is that a lot to Toyota Prado aftermarket stuff fits right on as far as I know. In terms of reputation, ARB is pretty rock solid on the bull bars both for animal strikes and for winch mounts. Many, many people swear by them because for a long time they were miles ahead of anyone else. I think it's a narrower gap now, but in my opinion ARB still make the best front bumpers.

Here is another option for you:

Classic Off Road Bumper Suited For Lexus GX470/Toyota Prado 120

As far as what is legal in Ontario, I don't think there is anything stopping you from doing the bumper conversion to one of the options above (nothing I've heard of in Canada). Australia has rules like that -- you can't just bolt any old bit of sheet metal to a truck and call it a winch bumper over there, it has to pass strict standards. Thats one of the reasons the ARB is so good. I'm not a lawyer and encourage you to do your own due diligence, but I did find the following:

1) Ontario Highway Traffic Act - no mention that I could find of rules around aftermarket bumpers.
2) Federal Transportation Act & Regs - Nothing explicitly stating you can't have an aftermarket bumper, but they do refer to the testing and legal framework in the USA for the standard up here in Canada which is weird to me, but I checked that standard too and no sign of rules against bumpers. (Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR) )

Also, I've never heard of anyone being given a hard time in Canada due to an aftermarket bumper, but anecdotes aren't the same as fact and evidence. But I think you'll be fine -- I can see no reason why you wouldn't be.

As far as recommendations, it depends on how far north you want to go but there are no shortage of logging roads in the north. Up near Sultan, Ontario is quite the network of dirt roads and you could explore for years before running out of new stuff to see. All along Highway 11 through the northern route of Ontario has tones of cut-aways and trails. In terms of trails that are more travelled, Concession Lake Trail up near Peterborough is pretty good. There are also a bunch of other recommendations at the below links:

Best off road driving trails in Ontario, Canada

Gravel Travel Canada - Home <--- Good resource for bikes, but also for 4x4s.

James R

Rank I

Traveler I

Guelph, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Rankin
Member #

Fridge. Behind the Long Range fuel tank, it is my 2nd favorite modification.

I put sliders on my Jeep TJ within 2 years of ownership, but I have not put them on my Land Cruiser since I bought it 5 years ago. I use the vehicles differently.
Have been talking with the long ranger guys, its pricey. Would you hold off on any other puchase to get that fist. Did you do any modification for the tank, cruiser brothers said i would be ok with the existing air bags.

James R

Rank I

Traveler I

Guelph, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Rankin
Member #

There are a few options. ARB make one - the nice thing about the GX470 is that a lot to Toyota Prado aftermarket stuff fits right on as far as I know. In terms of reputation, ARB is pretty rock solid on the bull bars both for animal strikes and for winch mounts. Many, many people swear by them because for a long time they were miles ahead of anyone else. I think it's a narrower gap now, but in my opinion ARB still make the best front bumpers.

Here is another option for you:

Classic Off Road Bumper Suited For Lexus GX470/Toyota Prado 120

As far as what is legal in Ontario, I don't think there is anything stopping you from doing the bumper conversion to one of the options above (nothing I've heard of in Canada). Australia has rules like that -- you can't just bolt any old bit of sheet metal to a truck and call it a winch bumper over there, it has to pass strict standards. Thats one of the reasons the ARB is so good. I'm not a lawyer and encourage you to do your own due diligence, but I did find the following:

1) Ontario Highway Traffic Act - no mention that I could find of rules around aftermarket bumpers.
2) Federal Transportation Act & Regs - Nothing explicitly stating you can't have an aftermarket bumper, but they do refer to the testing and legal framework in the USA for the standard up here in Canada which is weird to me, but I checked that standard too and no sign of rules against bumpers. (Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR) )

Also, I've never heard of anyone being given a hard time in Canada due to an aftermarket bumper, but anecdotes aren't the same as fact and evidence. But I think you'll be fine -- I can see no reason why you wouldn't be.

As far as recommendations, it depends on how far north you want to go but there are no shortage of logging roads in the north. Up near Sultan, Ontario is quite the network of dirt roads and you could explore for years before running out of new stuff to see. All along Highway 11 through the northern route of Ontario has tones of cut-aways and trails. In terms of trails that are more travelled, Concession Lake Trail up near Peterborough is pretty good. There are also a bunch of other recommendations at the below links:

Best off road driving trails in Ontario, Canada

Gravel Travel Canada - Home <--- Good resource for bikes, but also for 4x4s.
Thanks so much for the resources, was exploring southwest of lake Nipigon near Sturgeon Lake, was trying to figure out if i could drive around the top of Lake Nipigon put haven't found any clear roads on Gaia that connect up north.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

James R

Rank I

Traveler I

Guelph, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Rankin
Member #

I'd get the fridge and enjoy it's benefits on every outing. Build up your experience and confidence on lighter trails/obstacles while you save up for the armor. There's plenty to do and see out there without needing to slide on rocks, but you can enjoy cold beer and lavish meals every night at camp.

My opinion is formed from me being in the same position last year and have gone the route I suggested. I'll be ordering sliders in the next month or so, but I've thoroughly enjoyed my fridge so far.

[And I apparently replied to a solved topic also... oops!]
Nope still thinking

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Thanks so much for the resources, was exploring southwest of lake Nipigon near Sturgeon Lake, was trying to figure out if i could drive around the top of Lake Nipigon put haven't found any clear roads on Gaia that connect up north.
Ah, the ON one not the AB one...

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Have been talking with the long ranger guys, its pricey. Would you hold off on any other puchase to get that fist. Did you do any modification for the tank, cruiser brothers said i would be ok with the existing air bags.
I've had the 40 gallon replacement tank for 1 year. It's my favorite mod. No other mod has allowed me to spend more time away from civilization.... and it's less pricey than a swing out bumper with jerry cans. If I bought another 100 series tomorrow, the first thing I would do is get a LRA tank on order.

James R

Rank I

Traveler I

Guelph, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Rankin
Member #

Just need to ask the moose to lie down before hitting them....
It's a known technique for Australian overlanders. Here it is caught on video:

@James R --- one more thought on fridges. Many people who have one find them super useful every day, not just on trips -- you can get groceries, pick up a 6 pack on Friday morning on the way to whatever salt mine you toil away at and it's cold by the time you quit work and head home, etc.
Video didn't work

James R

Rank I

Traveler I

Guelph, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Rankin
Member #

I've had the 40 gallon replacement tank for 1 year. It's my favorite mod. No other mod has allowed me to spend more time away from civilization.... and it's less pricey than a swing out bumper with jerry cans.
Where do you put your spare?

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
If you do decide to get a fridge I highly recommend an ICECO. There are cheaper ones on Amazon with the Costway name, among others, and then there are also the Dometic/ARB fridges at the opposite end of the cost spectrum. ICECO falls between these in terms of price but are on par with Dometic/ARB in terms of quality, IMO. Here's a new video showing one of ICECO's newer plastic-shell units compared to a Costway, most of ICECO's other units aren't plastic outside. I have the VL60 dual-zone, it is pretty large. If you don't want a dual-zone then the VL45 is a great unit that doesn't take as much space.