Fridge....Inside or Out?

• HTML tutorial

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

So I'm contemplating putting my fridge inside the cab of my truck in the back seat area versus the bed. Your thoughts on pros and cons of either would be appreciated.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I dug into this a bunch and couldnt quite find anything conclusive; there is a $1200 ARB fridge specifically designed to live outside. And, there are several anecdotes of folks who successfully kept a fridge external to the vehicle cabin with no ill effects. But, I never found any hard data or manufacturer support that really made me comfortable with the idea.

Like I said in my thread (below), I am just going to keep mine on the back seat.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/storing-a-fridge-outside-the-vehicle.15159/

Last edited:

Shaun Harvey

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Brisbane, Australia
Member #

I know plenty of people that keep their fridge in the bed of their truck. Some of them have canopies or even just a cover for the bed, others have a cover for the fridge itself. A lot of fridge makers sell insulated covers for their fridges as well. None of them have had any issues. That being said I'd want to keep my fridge as dust free as possible. They need airflow to work properly as well so if you can't keep your truck bed sealed from the dust I'd keep it on the back seat.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I know the ARB Elements series of fridges are designed to withstand the abuse. I have a standard ARB fridge, mounted inside my Jeep fulltime. It's been poured on with rain numerous times when the top was off, and never an issue. However, I did read somewhere, maybe the manual, that advised against getting the standard fridge series wet-they may just be referring to the rear of the fridge where the compressor and fan is housed.