Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
This was a topic of discussion recently regarding dual zone temperature control vs single zone. Looking for real world use/experience as to whether the dual zone is better? Is it really more useful or not? What do you think?

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
If you have to have frozen stuff get a dual zone. If you don't don't. You can try to play the layer game hoping stuff on the top won't freeze while stuff on the bottom will with a single zone but that doesn't always work and you end up ruining your food. Some people run 2 units. Bring the 2nd when they need it. I have a huge Dometic now. Pros and cons to every solution. On the Dometic is is a single compressor that alternates between sides.

Some folks run a fridge for food an a "yeti" style cooler for beverages. There is no best solution. It depends on how much room you have, money, how many days out, how many days out away from stores, how many people are you feeding...... etc etc etc.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I only have one fridge, and have just cranked the temp down to keep stuff frozen when needed (like freezing 6mo of breast milk for a hurricane evac).

There are really only 3 things you otherwise need to keep completely frozen: ice, frozen treats, and meat for longer trips**. If you can do without those things, then you don't really need a freezer. (I normally drink whiskey on the rocks, but was always still more than happy to just drink it chilled in the fridge)

**Putting a frozen hunk of meat from your house into a 35-degree truck fridge will still keep it safe for several days, especially if it is steak and not chicken. So, I'd say this part still only applies for trips longer than maybe 4-5 days.

I probably would second the notion of buying two separate fridges. As stated, simply bring the 2nd one along for the trips where you require the aforementioned freezing capabilities. That also makes more sense to me because in those really special or extended trips, you'd probably need the extra space anyways.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have a 50qt single zone in my trailer. I've spent two weeks remote camping and the only time I wish I had a dual zone was making dutch oven cobbler. French Vanilla ice cream would have rocked. When I was shopping for a cooler, I looked hard at the dual zone. Bottom line, I have a 30qt In my vehicle. I can turn that into a temp freezer for ice cream if I really need it.
As others posted, do you need keep things frozen?

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I have a single zone 50qt ARB. I actually like the "layer game". Its pretty consistent with temps, so I can keep things on the front bottom layer that I want coldest and then the layer above is normal fridge temps.. the back little shelf is good for cheeses and things that don't need to be as cold. That has always worked well for me.

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

Picked up a Dometic 60 for dirt cheap. Kind of wish it was dual zone but not sure why. I store ice in an insulated bag for cocktails and such. Usually not on the road long enough to need frozen food.

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
I've got the Dometic 65DZ and love it. More space when using as a singe zone when needed and dual zone when you want it. Best of both worlds. Ice cream in the middle of nowhere after being off grid for several days is the best!

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

We use a Dometic 75q dual zone. The flexibility of having two compartments is great. On short trips, or ones where we can easily restock, we use the large side as a fridge and the smaller side (turned off) as a place to put our non-perishables. When we're going to be away for long periods of time or when we have guests coming along, we use both sides as a fridge. On the occasion when we need to keep stuff frozen; ice, icecream, etc, the freezer option rocks.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
We use a Dometic 75q dual zone. The flexibility of having two compartments is great. On short trips, or ones where we can easily restock, we use the large side as a fridge and the smaller side (turned off) as a place to put our non-perishables. When we're going to be away for long periods of time or when we have guests coming along, we use both sides as a fridge. On the occasion when we need to keep stuff frozen; ice, icecream, etc, the freezer option rocks.
I own the same fridge. It is stupid big but gives you lots of options. On most of my group trips I end up putting other peoples food in it when their ice has gone bye bye....

Reactions: Wanderlost

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I found another idea on my 10 day trip to AZ for Expo West and then up to the Grand Canyon. We prepped meals and froze a lot of stuff so it would pack nicely in the RTIC 45qt cooler. We also had 2 soft sided coolers, one inside the other, for keeping things cold but allowing them to thaw as needed. Never once bought ice since everything started frozen. Froze reusable water bottles to add in with each to aid in keeping things cold and to also have extra water. Granted the temps played in our favor, we still had stuff semi frozen in the RTIC since we minimized the open time on it. I would suggest a similar setup if you have a fridge in place of the big cooler. Easier rotate items around and the fridge wouldn't necessarily have to work as hard to keep things frozen. Instead of using ice, freezing the bottle works well for utilizing the full space, but I also love having these gel reusable ice packs as they kept my cooler cold with non-frozen items in 90+ degree heat for 3 days straight. No ice/water to mess with and I like that they're reusable. Once I get a fridge, I plan on testing my limits with everything, but I know that being able to keep things at a normal refrigerator temp range will adjust my methods. Raw-fed dogs also make things tricky...

Texassailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Austin, TX
Member #

I own a SnoMaster 56L Fridge/Freezer. I would never consider going back to a single zone unit. I can set the temps for each of the two zones/compartments separately . . . both as fridge, both as freezer, or one fridge and the other freezer. One compartment is bigger than the other. I keep my freezer at 0°F and my fridge at 32°F. I like my "stuff" cold.

I keep mainly a 10lb bag of ice in the smaller compartment [setup as a freezer (still enough room for frozen treats)]. Drinks and food goes into the larger compartment. I use my Jeep Wrangler as a daily driver, so it is also great to have this unit in the vehicle at all times on a slide. Needless to say, this unit runs 24/7 (for two years now).

Reactions: systemdelete

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
If you have to have frozen stuff get a dual zone. If you don't don't. You can try to play the layer game hoping stuff on the top won't freeze while stuff on the bottom will with a single zone but that doesn't always work and you end up ruining your food. Some people run 2 units. Bring the 2nd when they need it. I have a huge Dometic now. Pros and cons to every solution. On the Dometic is is a single compressor that alternates between sides.

Some folks run a fridge for food an a "yeti" style cooler for beverages. There is no best solution. It depends on how much room you have, money, how many days out, how many days out away from stores, how many people are you feeding...... etc etc etc.
That's what I do. We need a separate 'yeti' style cooler for water cause there is 5 of us. The family drinks like they are fish. Our weekend trips don't require anything to be frozen. It will be used that night or the day after and the fridge keeps everything cold enough. The cooler is the thing that gets opened/closed the most anyway.

DoubleA_FL

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

I learn something new every time I read one of these posts. I was planning on getting the Dometic 75DZ and your post solidified that for me. We are a family of 4 + dog, so having a nice big cooler is ideal, and I LOVE the idea of keeping one zone turned off so you can have things cool but not fridge temp. Definitely getting the DZ now. thanks!!

Reactions: Wanderlost

Bob (Fishingbob)

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

I purchased a SnoMaster 56L Freezer/refrig which is mounted in my 2015 JK Unlimited-I love it. Endless possibilities -if you don't need a freezer , just use it as a refrigerator, but it gives you endless-cold stuff!!, if your going to be out there for days on end. I power mine with a LiFe 100 AH battery, 20 Amp Rover solar controller, 100 Amp Renogy solar panel and 700 watt inverter. The set up really doesn't take up any more room than the two ice chests I normally would take along (drinks in one/ misc in the other), but it sure beats the hassle of dealing with bags and bags of ice-if your even close to a tpwn to purchase ice. Short outings just use ice and a chest.
I usually spend 4-5 days at a time on the beach on PINS or South Padre.

I did a lot of research on the SnoMaster 56L-memeber 8476"Texassailor" greatly helped in my decision.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Another happy Snomaster 56l user here. We did a trip back in the spring when our ice in the Rtic was running low. The people we were with offered to put some of our stuff in their fridge. My wife was sold. It was a huge expense for us but we would do it again in a heartbeat. In the evening when cleaning up after dinner I’ll fill an ice cube tray and in the morning we have ice for the day for drinks and making iced tea. As we take stuff out of the freezer we’ll put a water bottles in to freeze. It helps on how often the unit cycles. More cold mass, the better.

Todd

Reactions: RoarinRow