Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
If I ever get a schedule that gives me Friday nights off, I wouldn't mind helping out with this.

Someday.
Thanks Ryan. Appreciate the thoughts and please keep us in mind if you get free on Fridays. We can really use the help.
Ed N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone,
I'll be your net control this week for the Overland Bound Ham Radio Net on Echolink. No specific topic, just checking in with everyone. I did get a new (to me) VHF/UHF rig for my truck which supports APRS. I would be interested to hear if you use APRS and how you are using it.

See you Friday. Thanks!
Ed N7PHY

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net

Topic: Open
Net Control: Ed N7PHY - Edmonds WA
When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 01:30 UTC
OB Rally Point: https://www.overlandbound.com/event/ham-radio-weekly-net-2/

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink
Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

You may also connect through the following:
Allstar HUB Node 49842 Los Angeles, CA (Main Hub)
Allstar HUB Node 41050 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49964 Atlanta, GA
Allstar HUB Node 49420 Los Angeles, CA
Allstar HUB Node 41120 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49421 Atlanta, GA

DMR
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (C) K4CEG
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (D) AB5JK
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3124829
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3148905

Repeaters and Links:
KE6GVK 147.570 CLOSED Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 223.420 PL 100.0 Saint Johns, AZ
K7RFX 145.550 PL 127.3 Tuscon, AZ
KJ7NWP 147.500 PL 127.3 Red Rock, AZ
KG7NVF 145.590 PL 127.3 Mesa, AZ
WB6IZC 446.800 PL 186.2 Temecula, CA
KS6R 223.650 PL 156.7 Long Beach CA
K6SIG 443.800 PL 156.7 La Habra, CA
AB5JK 146.620 PL 100.0 Uvalde, TX
AB5JK 444.600 PL 162.2 Uvalde, TX

Live Streaming Audio: (Anyone may listen in)

White Mountain Repeater Association

Bookerman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gatineau, QC, Canada
First Name
Don
Last Name
Booker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA2EV
Service Branch
R.C.E.M.E.
Ed, hold my beer. I think I need both hands to count this high. How many networks are connected???

Net Details
<snip>
[1]
Echolink

<snip>
[2]
Allstar ...

["Reflectors" are a D-STAR thing isn't it? And BM a separate thing--they call 'em '"TalkGroups'" --so this heading should perhaps be "Digital Radios" and counts as two (2) networks]
DMR
[3 D-STAR]
[4 BM]

[5]
Repeaters and Links:
[Aaaand I'll count ALL linked analog repeaters as one network]

[6]
[BTW, Thank you White Mountain Repeater Association ;) ]
WOW. I am astounded at the number of repeaters, reflectors, talkgroups, nodes (of two varieties) that are connected/linked/bridged/whatever. I might be stretching here, but my conclusions are: a lot of you are in California (or your heart is in CA through OverlandBound), and a lot of you like Amateur Radio and do some amazing things with the InterWebs. (In comparison, I took at look at the city near where I grew up and they have two (2) repeaters, and the next closest repeaters are, well, a day's drive away. Ya, Canada is big and full of a lot of empty spaces, eh?)

Oh, yes, I didn't see a conclusion, but is it too late to put in my vote for keeping the net on Friday? I suppose it's an on-the-drive-home net for some folks in CA (for those that venture out for the workday), but for me, and I suppose a good number of others in the rest of the U.S.A. and Canada it would be into the evening, and a nice way to wind down and wrap up the week. Sorry I haven't checked in for a couple of months, but the work at home grind has kinda worn me down, and our online training activities with the SAR team have been going like gangbusters. (I've hosted two sessions on radio comms, and another coming up in a couple of weeks!) But somehow I managed to find the time to cram in some study time, practiced the exam a bunch of times, then wrote and passed my advanced level. I celebrated by getting myself an additional call sign, so...
73 de VA2EV (also VA2EEK) Don

Reactions: 12poundtest

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

You know I could talk about APRS but as usual my weekend job gets in the way. May try to listen in but the last couple of times I have tried that I kept losing connection.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Ed, hold my beer. I think I need both hands to count this high. How many networks are connected???

WOW. I am astounded at the number of repeaters, reflectors, talkgroups, nodes (of two varieties) that are connected/linked/bridged/whatever. I might be stretching here, but my conclusions are: a lot of you are in California (or your heart is in CA through OverlandBound), and a lot of you like Amateur Radio and do some amazing things with the InterWebs. (In comparison, I took at look at the city near where I grew up and they have two (2) repeaters, and the next closest repeaters are, well, a day's drive away. Ya, Canada is big and full of a lot of empty spaces, eh?)

Oh, yes, I didn't see a conclusion, but is it too late to put in my vote for keeping the net on Friday? I suppose it's an on-the-drive-home net for some folks in CA (for those that venture out for the workday), but for me, and I suppose a good number of others in the rest of the U.S.A. and Canada it would be into the evening, and a nice way to wind down and wrap up the week. Sorry I haven't checked in for a couple of months, but the work at home grind has kinda worn me down, and our online training activities with the SAR team have been going like gangbusters. (I've hosted two sessions on radio comms, and another coming up in a couple of weeks!) But somehow I managed to find the time to cram in some study time, practiced the exam a bunch of times, then wrote and passed my advanced level. I celebrated by getting myself an additional call sign, so...
73 de VA2EV (also VA2EEK) Don
Hi Don
Congratulations on the new call sign! Yes, there sure are a lot of linked systems in this allstar network. And OB members often add a couple more repeaters on Friday evenings.

Sorry I didn't follow up to the day change question. There really hasn't been much discussion one way or the other. Though, as soon as Randall indicated he would have to drop I lost interest. No point changing days if we loose our cornerstone friends in this endeavor. The point behind these schedule questions is we do not have enough people available to keep the net running.

Anyway, stay safe up there Don and look forward to hearing your new call sign on the net.
Ed N7PHY

Reactions: Bookerman

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
You know I could talk about APRS but as usual my weekend job gets in the way. May try to listen in but the last couple of times I have tried that I kept losing connection.
Sorry to hear you are loosing connection Jon. Let us know if you find the culprit and it's something that may benefit the group.
Hope you can make it in there tonight.
Ed N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Great net tonight everybody! Below are my (rough) notes. Feel free to correct or add to the notes.
You can see we talked quite a bit about APRS and I hope to have a dedicated net soon to dig in deeper. Any thoughts for other net topics?

Have a great weekend everyone!
Ed N7PHY

Overland Bound Amateur Radio NetAnnouncements
NCS:N7PHY Ed
Topic: Open topic, APRS, Ham tech questions
Check InNameLocationI/O
KE6GGVKMIKEAZXNETWORK ADMIN. REMINDER TECH ROUND TABLE TONIGHT 19:00 PST/22:00 EST
VA2EVDONQUEBECNEW CALL SIGN, ADV CLASS UPGRADE. FT991A NEW RADIO FOR BIRTHDAY. 160M CONTEST W RADIO, WAS INTERESTING. APRS WITH 710 IS NICE RIG. HAVE COUPLE IN SEARCH RESCUE RIGS. CAN DO CROSSBAND REPEAT. ONE IN CMD POST USED TO PICK UP FROM KENWOOD HANDHELDS, TACTICALLY DIGITAL FREQUENCY. USE APRS ALSO BUT LIKE OTHERS ONLY USE 10% OF FEATURES. USE IT TO SEND TEXT/EMAIL WITHOUT CELLULAR. CAN SEE WHERE OTHER PEOPLE OR DIGIPEATERS ARE AROUND ME. DEPENDS ON INFRASTRUCTURE AROUND TO GET PACKETS OUT THERE. PRACTICAL APP NOT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN POSITION REPORTING IN DMR. SARS TEAM BOUGHT 15 NEW RADIOS.
KI5BEE/VE3CALVINONTARIOLOOKING INTO CANADIAN CALL. HAVE USED CROSSBAND IN PAST, FISHING TRIPS, AND USE TO HIT RADIO IN TRUCK WITH HANDHELD.
KO4BDTMIKEROANOKE VASETTING UP FOR SUNDAY TRIP. LIMITED APRS EXP BUT DOING WELL.
KE7MUBRADVAIL AZLOOKING INTO MOVE TO NORTH OF SEATTLE. DONE LITTLE OVERLANDING WITH 2017 PROMASTER VAN, SUITED FOR IT. LEARNED ENGINE CODE READER WILL GIVE PERFORMANCE OF ENGINE AND BLUETOOTH. CONSIDER INTERESTING FOR RIG. TALKED ABOUT PORTABLE HIGH PRESS PUMP TO CARRY WITH FOR AIR DOWN/UP. PICKED UP SUN/SAIL SHADE FOR VEHICLE. USES MAGNETS TO HOLD TO VAN WITH D-RINGS AND PAINTER POLES FOR OTHER END. 8X12'.
kb7rsvSCOTTLYNNWOOD WAx
WX5SKYJONOKX
KT4OZTERRYVA MOBILE - HERDING KIDS AROUND. OBD2 DONGLE, USE APP CALLED TORQUE FOR ANDROID ($7) FOR SEVERAL YEARS. BOUGHT USED SUZUKI 4 WHEELER. COMPLETELY DISASSEMBLED IT. :) DOING MAINT AND CLEANUP. TRAIL RIDING WITH KIDS. APRS USEFULNESS. MAY BE RESTRICTED BY INFRASTRUCTURE TO MAKE APRS USEFUL. CAN SEND TXT TO HAMS CELL PHONE. ABILITY TO SEND LOCATION VIA GOOGLE MAP LINK. CAN SEND RECEIVE SHORT EMAILS OVER APRS BETWEEN HAMS. DON TOUCHED ON CROSS BAND. QUICK POINT THAT CANNOT CROSSBAND BETWEEN HAM BAND AND OTHER SERVICE.
VK7VWKRANDALLTASMANIAINTERESTED IN THE OBD2 DEVICE. HAVE A MORE EXPENSIVE DEVICE. LOOKING FOR DRONE TO TAKE ARIAL SHOTS. WORKING ON FRIENDS DRONE THAT CRASHED.
KF0AJNROBCOOBD2 from scan gauge. Having trouble stay ing, using 2tel. SMSGTE.ORG SMS GATEWAY SITE FOR APRS. AS FOR RX DROP, THINK ITS IN CONFIGURATION. CAN RECONNECT BY PUTTING SPACE IN CHAT AND SENDING.
K7BWHBARRYWA6 meter rover. Has APRS which lets Barry travel as long as wife knows where he is. APRS is fun, drives cross country. Feature in kenwood, pickup beacons heard. Idea to use list to talk to people to pull other kenwood frequency. APRS IDEA, VOICE ALERT. CONFIG OWN RADIOS APRS TO REACH PEOPLE. TRAVELING AND TRYING TO RAISE SOMEONE. SET A TONE SQUELCH ON APRS CHANNEL BOTH RX AND TX. EVERYONE ELSE THAT DOES SOMETHING SIMILAR. CAN CALL ON APRS FREQ TO BRING UP SOMEONE DOING THE SAME. http://www.aprs.org/VoiceAlert3.html
KM4PJNJIMMYROANOKE VA1ST VAR FOOTBALL GAME OF SEASON. 39 DEG. SONS FIRST GAME.
KN4YHMTROYLAKE CITY FLFIRST TIME ON NET. MY RIG IS 2006 WRANGLER TJ. HAVE NOT DONE TOO MANY MODS. GIFT OF 2" SPACER AND BADLANDS WINCH AND COUPLE LIGHTS. LOOKING FOR HD ROOF RACK. NOT SURE IF WANT TO DO ROOFTOP TENT OR CUSTOM BUILD TRAILER. TRAILERS ARE PRICED HIGH BUT LOOKING. FAIRLY NEW HAM (2019). FIRST TIME HEARING ABOUT APRS. HAVE SOME RESEARCH TO DO.
KJ7OKEDONX
VK2DYROBERTAUSTRALIABEAUTIFUL FIRST 5 DAYS OF AUTUMN. TODAY BACK TO RAIN. HAVE USED APRS ON PHONE BUT NOT ON RADIO. NOT FOUND PRACTICAL USE OF APRS OVER RADIO. TALKED ABOUT MITSUBISHI DELICA WEEKS AGO, IMPORT COMPANY FOUND A COUPLE THAT LOOKED INTERESTING.
K7RFXLARRYX

Reactions: Boort

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Sorry I missed the net tonight... volleyball season is in full swing for my daughter... but I should be able to start making them every other week.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I was listening but I didn't have the channel programmed into my radio so I couldn't talk. I've been using APRS for some time and would like to participate in a net about it.

I have a 97 Landcruiser. 97 is the first year, I think for OBD II so it doesn't have as many features as it does now, but I have a $5 blue toot dongle that fits into the port. I also have an aftermarket Android headunit in my dash, the Atoto A6. It comes with Torque. When I'm towing or it's very hot, it's nice to be able to pull it up on my radio and monitor the engine.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hey Everyone,
I'll be your net control for the next couple of weeks and am looking for topic suggestions.
Linked on the OB homepage is an article about the 'Ultimate Overland Checklist'

It's an interesting list but I'm wondering what you would add that might not be included. If everybody throws out a few (or many) 'don't leave home without' items, I'll take it all down and publish here in the forum thread.

The following Friday is wide open. APRS is on the table to revisit. Any other topic suggestions?

Thanks!
Ed - N7PHY

Reactions: Boort and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey Everyone,
I'll be your net control for the next couple of weeks and am looking for topic suggestions.
Linked on the OB homepage is an article about the 'Ultimate Overland Checklist'

It's an interesting list but I'm wondering what you would add that might not be included. If everybody throws out a few (or many) 'don't leave home without' items, I'll take it all down and publish here in the forum thread.

The following Friday is wide open. APRS is on the table to revisit. Any other topic suggestions?

Thanks!
Ed - N7PHY
Some ideas would include “Why Upgrade”, “How Overlanding and Amateur radio supplement each other”, SOTA, POTA, how digital communications can be used in an emergency.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Everyone,
Just a reminder. Tonight we are creating our own overland checklist. This would be any items that are a 'must have' for most trips. Can be anything from tools, parts, camp gear, food, communications, etc.

Hope you can make it.

Ed N7PHY

Net Details

Topic: Overland Checklist
Net Control: Ed N7PHY - Edmonds WA
When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 01:30 UTC

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink

You may also connect through the following:
Allstar HUB Node 49842 Los Angeles, CA (Main Hub)
Allstar HUB Node 41050 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49964 Atlanta, GA
Allstar HUB Node 49420 Los Angeles, CA
Allstar HUB Node 41120 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49421 Atlanta, GA

DMR

Repeaters and Links:
KE6GVK 147.570 CLOSED Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 223.420 PL 100.0 Saint Johns, AZ
K7RFX 145.550 PL 127.3 Tuscon, AZ
KJ7NWP 147.500 PL 127.3 Red Rock, AZ
KG7NVF 145.590 PL 127.3 Mesa, AZ
WB6IZC 446.800 PL 186.2 Temecula, CA
KS6R 223.650 PL 156.7 Long Beach CA
K6SIG 443.800 PL 156.7 La Habra, CA
AB5JK 146.620 PL 100.0 Uvalde, TX
AB5JK 444.600 PL 162.2 Uvalde, TX

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Absolutely amazing net yesterday. Thank you everyone who could make it. Below is our check-in list and the checklist items we came up with for our pre-packed or 'don't leave home without' items.
Feel free to add to the list here in the forum thread.

Hope to catch you again next week.
Ed N7PHY

KI7WPGLoraWAx
VA2EVDonQuebec CAN
KI5BEECalvinOntario CAN
KI5GPIDonnaTX
kj6DHGRenayCA
KC0POBChadAZ
K5TINShaneLA
KE6GVKMikeAZx
K7XPOBrienAZ
KJ6DHGVinnyAZ
VK7VWKRandallHobart Tasmania
KB7RSVScottWAx
W7BRBrettWA?
KF0AJNRobertCO
N7BMHBrianIDx
VK2DYRobertSydney Australia
KO4BDTCharlesVA
KM4PJNJimmyVA
KB1YAIThomasAZ

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
And..... here is our awesome list!

BOG (bug out bag)
24 Hrs of essentials. Ready to go for search and rescue.
Camp
Contractor grade garbage bags (multiple uses)
TP
Flashlights (2 or more)
Extra batteries
Slingshot
Small air horn
Keep stocked pantry of shelf stable foods (3-4 days worth)
Can Opener!
FRED (flaming ridicules eating device)
Personal / 1st Aid
Other Half!
Medications
Benedrill pills and cream for allergy symptoms
Bathroom Kit
Fingertip pulse oxy monitor
blood pressure monitor
Bandages, band aids, gloves
Vehicle
Coolant
Belts
Extra gas
recovery gear
air compressor
Fuses
Paper Maps
Compass
Specialty sockets such as torx bits.
OBD2 reader
HF radio. Can use to call for help in remote location.
Aluminum foil. Multiple uses such as patching manifold.
Tools
Mallet
Basic tools
Socket set
Zip ties, various sizes
Paracord
Bailing wire, Pliers,
Clamptite wire tool kit
Advice
Make a list of what was not needed after each outing.
2 is one. 1 is none.
Headlamp recommended as one of the lights
Learn to program radio through keypad
Try not to take too much or overload.
Thank about what you might need to make a repair.
Keep mindful of expiration dates.
Find training from reputable instructor.

Reactions: Bookerman and Boort

CharlotteJacket

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Charlotte, NC, USA
First Name
Reid
Last Name
Matthews
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4NGA
Absolutely amazing net yesterday. Thank you everyone who could make it. Below is our check-in list and the checklist items we came up with for our pre-packed or 'don't leave home without' items.
Feel free to add to the list here in the forum thread.

Hope to catch you again next week.
Ed N7PHY

KI7WPGLoraWAx
VA2EVDonQuebec CAN
KI5BEECalvinOntario CAN
KI5GPIDonnaTX
kj6DHGRenayCA
KC0POBChadAZ
K5TINShaneLA
KE6GVKMikeAZx
K7XPOBrienAZ
KJ6DHGVinnyAZ
VK7VWKRandallHobart Tasmania
KB7RSVScottWAx
W7BRBrettWA?
KF0AJNRobertCO
N7BMHBrianIDx
VK2DYRobertSydney Australia
KO4BDTCharlesVA
KM4PJNJimmyVA
KB1YAIThomasAZ
Agreed that it was a great discussion. Lots of great info.

I was eventually able to join via EchoLink, but does anyone else join via the Brandmeister connections? I didn’t see anyone else on there at start time and didn’t hear anything, so I downloaded EchoLink really quickly to listen in.

Thanks!

Bookerman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gatineau, QC, Canada
First Name
Don
Last Name
Booker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA2EV
Service Branch
R.C.E.M.E.
... does anyone else join via the Brandmeister connections? ...
I have connected using DMR in the past, and it does work, though with my bad hearing I prefer the rich tone of FM (even over Echolink) rather than the sound of digital.
One thing about DMR though, with all the bridging/linking going on, the DMR identifier will probably always show the same callsign, that of the person that set up the link.
Another thing about connecting over DMR: I generally use my openSPOT/hotspot because the local repeaters connect dynamically and will time out if I don't transmit within 10 minutes, and the digital audio quality is about the same using either a hotspot or one of the local repeaters.
-73- de VA2EV Don

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Anyone out there interested in the Parks on the Air (POTA) program? Digging into the details it looks like fun, and I'm in these parks and forests anyway.
Thought it might be a good topic for this weeks net if there is interest.

Ed N7PHY

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Anyone out there interested in the Parks on the Air (POTA) program? Digging into the details it looks like fun, and I'm in these parks and forests anyway.
Thought it might be a good topic for this weeks net if there is interest.

Ed N7PHY
There are a few of us that do both POTA and SOTA. Next month I will be activating a state park or 2.