Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Friday Night Weekly Net 2-15-2019

NET Controller will be : @12poundtest

Time : 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 17:30 hours Pacific Standard Time

Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

Topic this week: Open Topic
Topic next week: 12 Fridge Set ups

Last weeks NET notes

Summary:

Date: February 8, 2019

Net Control: Ed – N7PHY

Topic: Overland Cooking – Favorite recipes and Pro Tips

Check-ins:

1. KJ7BXG - John – Portland OR

Talking on phone (but sounds good). Recently got into overlanding (4 runner). Experimenting with Dutch oven and camp fire cooking. Looking forward to hearing others experience. Great listening to everybody’s ideas.

2. KB6POE – Richard – Fontana CA - 16621

(I asked about his POE suffix. He is in IT but coincidence) Not much experience. Just starting to get into all of this. Backpacker coming into overlanding. Carry pocket rocket and small cans of fuel. Seen Skottle use in videos. Seems versatile. Have tried the mountain house meals for quick prep.

3. KJ7BHN – Brent – Olympia WA – 13675

Announcements - Been on the road last couple of weeks. Topic for tonight is camp food. Thanks to net controllers and invitation for anyone else to join net control. Have list of future topics: 12V mobile fridge setups, Death Valley, HF antennas, HF radios, SOTA, BAJA Mexico. If you have other topics to add to the list please let Brent know. Open topics every other week.

Cooking - Moving every day so prepares food ahead of time. Salad add protein added later. Loves eggs any way you can cool them! One pot, one skillet kit for easy cleanup. Cans of soup and add-water packs. Hibachi with steaks if have more time. Thinking about something we had as kids. Sandwich clamp cooker, two plates to hold bread and jam and hold over fire. One tip: Potatoes, add peppers and onions for taste. (can be found at Cabela’s – Ed)

4. N6DWA – Dan - ? – 9939

Unfortunately, Dan lost connection to the repeater before we could get to him.

5. VA3KXS – Kirk – Ontario Canada – 17113

For camp food looking to get in and out. Overlanding for photography and don't have much time. Hardboiled egg, fruit, coffee. Dinner made in single frying pan with veggies etc. Single pan to clean up. Tip: use coarse salt and oil for quick cleanup. Agrees with Ted, Jet Foil is great stove. Tried folding stove but little ones wouldn't get hot enough. Pro tip; took a trip and took bananas. Thru in boxes and forgot. Smell stuck with the gear for 6 months.

6. WX5SKY – John – OK

Wife fan of potatoes. Made on foil next to camp fire. (no red meat anymore) Thinks wife’s allergy is due to tick bite. (?) Back to food; love breakfast burritos. And Desert! Banana boats with banana, chocolate, marshmallow, over fire and eat with spoon. Surprised nobody makes an MRE. (?)

7. W8ILL – Will – Taylor MI

Our friend Will. Takes a can of turkey spam and sandwich bread to make at camp fire.

8. KM6YSF – Gary – Sacramento CA

Spam brings back memories from childhood. Egg batter and cracker crumbs with spam for dinner. While backpacking I would prep ahead of time. Omelets with veggies put in baggies. Going with ice chest now. Dutch oven sounds interesting to me now. Cooking carnitas now with extra salsa and tortillas. Will often freeze meat with marinade. Question would like to try homemade ice cream while overlanding. Has anybody done that?

9. WD6TED – Ted – San Diego CA

First time checking in to net over iPad. Camping and backpacking my whole life. For camping, my favorite is a NY steak over a camp fire with potatoes. But, must make changes and now a vegan. Now wife and I are overlanding, we treat overlanding more like backpacking. All kitchen and fuel in single box. Jet foil folding stove best I've used. More like backpacking using freeze dried food, etc. Direction I've been going. (love to make chili) Mexican food is always a go to for camping. Easy cleanup and delicious with left overs often. Moving in direction of not carrying a cooler, more like back packing.

Summary:

We had 9 check-ins and a very entertaining and lively discussion around camp cooking and food preparation. Access to the net varied between straight up PC, iPhone while mobile, and 2m repeater link.

Last edited:

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
I have started writing up the Summits on the Air Bootcamp article, I hope to have it finished and published in the next couple days
Awesome! Once again, sorry for the lack of info in my notes above. I ended up listening when I should have been writing while you were going through everything. NOT sorry for us volunteering you to do a write up, though. You, sir, are a wealth of knowledge on the topic for us noobs. :laughing:

Reactions: brien and TerryD

JustinSenior

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tracy, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2/16/2019
How does one listen in with a HAM? I am on the list for the HAM cram 2/16/2019 but would like to start listening in and see how all this works! I know I can listen via the link which I am currently doing, but can you use a HAM radio?

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
How does one listen in with a HAM? I am on the list for the HAM cram 2/16/2019 but would like to start listening in and see how all this works! I know I can listen via the link which I am currently doing, but can you use a HAM radio?
No not without your call sign issued. Broadcastify only until then. We look forward to you attending after the cram

Reactions: epiv

JustinSenior

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tracy, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2/16/2019
No not without your call sign issued. Broadcastify only until then. We look forward to you attending after the cram
I don't want transmit until after the course, but will I be able to use a HAM radio or is this strictly over the net? Sorry just trying to understand how this all works.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Echolink is over the internet or cell depending on how and where you connect. There are repeaters that you can connect to the echolink node with repeater owner or trustee permission. Either way need call sign. Hope that helps

JustinSenior

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tracy, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2/16/2019
Echolink is over the internet or cell depending on how and where you connect. There are repeaters that you can connect to the echolink node with repeater owner or trustee permission. Either way need call sign. Hope that helps
Yes it does! Thanks! I will starting reading up on Echolink....talk to you soon if I pass :-p

Reactions: TerryD

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Due to the fact you have to transmit to dial up the node that the net is on the repeater you would need a license. If we were all using the same local repeater you could listen in using a ham radio not problem.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Topic suggestion: Overlanding in Baja California, MX - rules/paperwork, suggested points of interest, interesting boondocking spots, travel advice, etc.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Topic suggestion: Overlanding in Baja California, MX - rules/paperwork, suggested points of interest, interesting boondocking spots, travel advice, etc.
Added to the list. I was hoping someone else was interested as I surely am but didn't want to add it and hog the NET if nobody else was interested. I also sent you a PM about Devils Hwy trip.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Definitely Mexico. Holy cow that’ll be a several parter for sure.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Has a topic been selected for this Friday's net?

k9lestat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Statesboro,Ga.
Member #

is the net still on the grits and gravy echo link? itll be my first time checking in. is there anything i need to know and far as protocols?

Reactions: TerryD

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
is the net still on the grits and gravy echo link? itll be my first time checking in. is there anything i need to know and far as protocols?
Yes, every week. No protocols except everything you do on regular radio. Call sign, keep comments to 3 min or less so linked repeaters don't drop etc. We will help you if you get off track

Reactions: Drifterman