Lewisville, TX, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
King
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Well, after months of searching and passing on a few deals, we finally settled on a new rig to start on. We scored this all stock and unmodified 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade for $1200 and will be arriving around the 29th of this month. Looking forward to building it and getting back out there and taking trips

Attachments

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

It seems like a score for the money!!! Do you know of any current issues with it? What are your plans for it? I don't think most people realize the Liberty is a pseudo body-on-frame, solid rear axle rig with a real transfer case (and 4LO) and a great, underappreciated platform.

-TJ

Reactions: Ir1shDr1fter

Ir1shDr1fter

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Lewisville, TX, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
King
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
It seems like a score for the money!!! Do you know of any current issues with it? What are your plans for it? I don't think most people realize the Liberty is a pseudo body-on-frame, solid rear axle rig with a real transfer case (and 4LO) and a great, underappreciated platform.

-TJ
So far only known issues was brakes and rotors, needs new plugs and wires. Was running when parked by previous owner. If I remember the first Gen Liberty was actually built on the OG Cherokee frames and is what essentially replaced the Cherokee. Probably just gonna do a slight lift with M/Ts, ditch the side steps and slap on an ARB front winch bumper. Plan is to get it road ready and reliable first before anything else. Really just planning on making it into something for short family camping trips. Mainly soft readings not really looking to build it into a Black Bear Pass rig

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

So far only known issues was brakes and rotors, needs new plugs and wires. Was running when parked by previous owner. If I remember the first Gen Liberty was actually built on the OG Cherokee frames and is what essentially replaced the Cherokee. Probably just gonna do a slight lift with M/Ts, ditch the side steps and slap on an ARB front winch bumper. Plan is to get it road ready and reliable first before anything else. Really just planning on making it into something for short family camping trips. Mainly soft readings not really looking to build it into a Black Bear Pass rig
You're correct that it was a replacement to the XJ (OG Cherokee) but it does not share "frames" with the XJ (XJ is a true unibody. The Liberty was built on Jeep's new concept "uniframe" that's sort of full length frame rails encapsulated in a unibody. Anyway, still a great, underappreciated platform IMHO.

-TJ

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
In Texas, and the south in general, your probably fine but up here in Ontario, and likely all the rust belt, it's tough to find one that isn't rotten from roof to axles. An ex customer of mine had one with the diesel. It had some reoccurring turbo issues which can be avoided but other than that was a solid reliable vehicle.

Wildcat-01

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Bay Area, California
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Tonelli
I have to be honest that I've long been a hater for the Liberty, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what you'll do and where you'll go with this thing and being proven wrong.
For $1200, that's a good deal for a pretty clean and fairly upmarket car. This will be a fun build!

Ir1shDr1fter

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Lewisville, TX, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
King
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I have to be honest that I've long been a hater for the Liberty, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what you'll do and where you'll go with this thing and being proven wrong.
For $1200, that's a good deal for a pretty clean and fairly upmarket car. This will be a fun build!
Yeah, I've heard that they haven't been well accepted but I'm willing to try something a bit different LOL. I've kinda got and idea on what I wanna do. Pretty much looking to do something similar to this build.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ir1shDr1fter

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Lewisville, TX, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
King
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Got a call earlier today letting me know that the Liberty Renegade had arrived and is ready for pickup, just in time for my weekend off . Just finished getting her loaded up on my tow truck and heading home. Gonna start going through it tomorrow.

Attachments

Wildcat-01

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Bay Area, California
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Tonelli
Got a call earlier today letting me know that the Liberty Renegade had arrived and is ready for pickup, just in time for my weekend off . Just finished getting her loaded up on my tow truck and heading home. Gonna start going through it tomorrow.
Sweet! I see that it's got the fake light pod on it. I helped mod one to fit on my friend's W163 ML320 and ended up getting a knockoff one to slap on my Subaru. You can drill out the light blanks and install flush-mount LED pods in them. It looks trick.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Cool. Have fun with the new rig. Safe travels.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Sweet! I see that it's got the fake light pod on it. I helped mod one to fit on my friend's W163 ML320 and ended up getting a knockoff one to slap on my Subaru. You can drill out the light blanks and install flush-mount LED pods in them. It looks trick.
That already has the lights in it, they come with covers to cover the glass. I would just intall 50w 4300k HID into those and have stupid awesome lighting for next to nothing cost wise.

Ir1shDr1fter

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Lewisville, TX, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
King
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Yeah those are functional light pods they all work, the covers feel like they're a little loose but they don't go anywhere driving on the highway. For halogen bulbs are actually pretty damn bright LOL.

Reactions: Wildcat-01