Freeze and reuse broth left over from beef stew?

• HTML tutorial

bruceharvey

Rank 0

Contributor I

New York
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Harvey
Hi

Make beef/bone broth from scratch
Strain liquid into jars, place in fridge overnight, then place into freezer next morn
Take frozen broth from freezer > fridge, and let it thaw overnight
Use broth to make beef stock (removing layer of fat), with beef, herbs, garlic, onion, carrot, celery, broc, turnip and sw.pot

I know I can jar the broth that is left, and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days and reuse it.

Can I freeze that leftover broth and then thaw and reusue it at a later date?

Thanks in advance.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Assuming you use a safe thawing method, refreezing is safe for most foods, if not all, foods. The main drawback of freezing is a degradation of texture in meats, etc. because of the ice crystals that form in the food as the water freezes. This is multiplied every time the food is refrozen.

Of course this problem does not affect broths and other liquids, so I would be totally comfortable refreezing them.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@bruceharvey

We freeze our broth in Ice cube trays. Then double bag the frozen cubes. They last for 6+ months in the freezer.
The trays we use give 2"x2"x2" cubes which are just over an ounce each so we just take down and defrost as much as we need for a given meal.

For camping we have some Ziploc boxes that hold 8 cubes each. which we toss in the cooler to use as ice. The broth tends to melt slower than water cubes due to the salt in the recipe.

Boort

Reactions: Offroadtails

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Freeze the liquid in any container that you can get it out of. Once frozen, remove it from the container and seal it inside a FoodSaver vacuum sealed bag. Then you can take the bag out and let it defrost and even sous-vide whatever liquid is inside (broth, soup, sauce, etc) right in the bag. Keeps things simple and very clean.

I vacuum seal pretty much anything now, and reheat a lot of it sous-vide style while camping.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Any experience re-using all the extra juicy goodness at a later date??
yep! my wife is cajun and all they do is slow cook everything and reusing that will give good flavor and you will probably have to add a bit of salt and other seasoning as the previous meat soaked up some of it, but yes, that is a perfectly good thing to do. just pour some in a zip-loc bag and lay flat and it freezes thin and is easy to throw in an ice chest, etc

Last edited:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Any erience re-using all the extra juicy goodness at a later date??
Yep. I do that with the bones and skin of a rotisserie chicken. fill the stock 3/4 with water toss in chix parts and the veggies that can no longer be good for salads boil 10 min then down to simmer for a few hours. Strain out the bones and veggies. Cool then put into ziploc boxes and freeze.

If prepping for overland trip freeze in ice cube trays. Then pop out and into ziploc bags. Use these cubes for cooking rice or pasta even homemade dehydrated dinners. Toss 1 or2 in a pan to make the base of a simmer sauce...

Boort