Tampa, FL, USA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4YGR
Received my FSR 55" Evolution on Dec 9, 2021, and mounted it to the Front Runner load bars on my DiamondBack HD cover. It road around with me until Feb 12, 2022, when I had the opportunity to take my first overnight camping trip with the rig and RTT.

First issue. Upon arriving at camp and trying to set up the ladder, I noticed that one set of nuts in the aluminum track were installed wrong. I could only connect one ladder hook. The fix is to remove the bottom bolts from one hinge and slide two of the nuts around, but I didn't have all the tools with me to remove and reinstall a hinge (see pic Ladder Nuts Correct and Ladder Nuts Wrong).

Second issue. The next morning, I noticed that the silver metal corners have all started to rust. This is after only 67 days of ownership. FSR made the excuse that I left some protective plastic film over the corners that is trapping moisture. I verified there is no plastic film. This has also been verified by three independent reviews of the tent by different companies. One a national outfitter of outdoor gear, one a FSR Dealer, and one a local franchise of a national body shop chain.

Third issue. This is the most concerning issue as the tent does not seal properly on one corner when closed (see pic Tent Gap 01, Tent Gap 02, Tent Gap 03). If you are not familiar with the Evolution, it is a hardshell tent with top and bottom sections connected by a metal ring in the center that the hinges attach to. Three corners of the tent seal correctly when closed and look great (see pic Tent Rear 01). I also have a walk-around video of the tent starting at the first good corner and working around to the corner with the issue.

Notified FSR of the issues on Feb 14, 2022, and went back and forth over 17 days where FSR went from stating I had minor issues to the issue at the corner is so bad I should have noticed it upon unboxing. Maybe so, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the issue still exists and is a quality control issue. As previously noted, FSR stated the rusting corner issues is due to me leaving a protective film on the corners and trapping moisture. (??) Isn't the idea of a "protective" film to protect? In any event, there was no plastic film. The response with the incorrectly placed ladder nuts was "sorry, but that's an easy fix". Again, maybe so, but not for the price they fetch for a RTT.

The defective corner is obviously the most concerning issue since the corner doesn't seal properly. FSR's first response was that I didn't close the tent properly. I verified by opening and closing the tent again. FSR then stated that this model sometimes gets out of alignment and I just needed to shift it around as close it. Then it went to, unclip the metal latches but don't open the tent. Shift it around on my truck and it will align. FSR then took the position that the corner was so bad that I should have noticed it when I received it. Again, maybe so, but that doesn't take away from the defect and that the tent has zero user damage.

FSR finally notified me on March 3, 2022, that they "are willing to go above and beyond and replace the tent", but ONLY if I cover all shipping costs of the new tent to me and the defective tent back to them. Shipping costs currently quoted at over $900. I fail to see why the customer should pay any shipping costs to replace a defective product. I now have three independent reviews of the RTT. All three companies have confirmed the issues and the corner defect in signed letters. I attempted to resolve the shipping charges with FSR, dealing with Katie (FSR Warranty Mgr.) via a phone call on March 3. Katie refused to discuss her email or the RTT any further when I asked why FSR felt that I should pay shipping when there is no user damage to the RTT. Katie instructed me to dispute the charge on my credit card and she would take it from there and she ended the call.

I have since done as Katie requested. I provided all documents to my CC including the 3 second opinions from independent companies and the charge has been disputed. I'll keep you posted on the outcome, but wanted anyone in the market for a RTT to know about my experience with FSR.

Attachments

Last edited:

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
sorry for your troubles, but thanks for the heads up. Was considering replacing my old RTT this year and Free Spirit was at the top of my list. Following.

Reactions: Shadow Overland

Shadow Overland

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Tampa, FL, USA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4YGR
UPDATE: It's been almost a month since I initiated the dispute with my CC and 2.5 weeks since FSR received the documents from my CC company. No response from FSR. I do see that FSR has been running a sale on all their RTT's when other RTT vendors are getting full price. Interesting....

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Wow, that sucs. Big time. We had a couple of minor issues with our Tepui Autana 3. I asked them for a patch kit. They sent a new tent. Customer for life. I went and looked at FSR’s website. Maybe it’s just me, but when a company tells me that I get a free LED lighting strip, or any other such nonsensical thing that has little if anything to do with the operational quality of said product, I usually walk away. Sadly your experience will not be the first of its kind with any of the up and coming brand names of camping/overlanding gear. The pandemic is all but over, demand for these products will wane, ( think Peleton ) and the very first thing to go for the struggling companies will be customer service. When the ashes settle, the tried & true companies will still be with us, still providing the world class customer service that made them what they are. ( Think, Thule, Tepui, James Barrode, ARB, Eezi-Awn, Front Runner, etc etc. ) Still, at $3500 you got screwed. It’s a shame when anyone pays top dollar for a thing and gets garbage in return. I would suggest copying and pasting your original post on every forum possible. The people at Tepui saw my initial review here and on EP. They got back to me immediately with a brand new canopy in less than 7 days. Good luck ! Peace out.

Shadow Overland

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Tampa, FL, USA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4YGR
Thanks @MOAK I completely agree with you and I'm still in limo with FSR. I've posted this same review on EP and had a few comments over there and about 300 views. I'm originally from the Johnstown, PA area. Will need to try and get together if I can make it home this summer.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Wow, that sucs. Big time. We had a couple of minor issues with our Tepui Autana 3. I asked them for a patch kit. They sent a new tent. Customer for life. I went and looked at FSR’s website. Maybe it’s just me, but when a company tells me that I get a free LED lighting strip, or any other such nonsensical thing that has little if anything to do with the operational quality of said product, I usually walk away. Sadly your experience will not be the first of its kind with any of the up and coming brand names of camping/overlanding gear. The pandemic is all but over, demand for these products will wane, ( think Peleton ) and the very first thing to go for the struggling companies will be customer service. When the ashes settle, the tried & true companies will still be with us, still providing the world class customer service that made them what they are. ( Think, Thule, Tepui, James Barrode, ARB, Eezi-Awn, Front Runner, etc etc. ) Still, at $3500 you got screwed. It’s a shame when anyone pays top dollar for a thing and gets garbage in return. I would suggest copying and pasting your original post on every forum possible. The people at Tepui saw my initial review here and on EP. They got back to me immediately with a brand new canopy in less than 7 days. Good luck ! Peace out.
Add TuffStuff Overland to the list of RTT dealers that stand behind their product. I have an ALPHA that developed some issues just past the warranty date. I thought they might send a new part or suggest a fix. Naw, they just sent a whole new RTT no charges. Now I have two that I will sell. I would really like the new version with the aluminum top. Not sure the added monies and weight is prudent at this time.

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
It's such a shame you had such a bad experience. Definitely not a nice thing. I'd add Off Road Tents to the list of reputable companies helping customers. They are dealers from plenty of brands, but their customer service is top nocth.

Reactions: JakJak

JakJak

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Calhan, CO, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Freeman
I would agree with GB, offroadtents has had outstanding service for us. Our cooler went out/ acting weird I sent them a message Sunday night, Monday morning they called and are shipping me a new one they didn’t want to mess around and make us troubleshoot it etc.

Reactions: GBGCR4x4

Shadow Overland

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Tampa, FL, USA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4YGR
UPDATE: My CC company called on Saturday (04/16/2022). We have a response from FSR and my CC company requested a couple of additional documents before they make a final decision on the dispute. I was also sent the response from FSR. Sad response at best but speaks volumes to the type of business FSR truly is.

FSR’s defense of the issue: “Unfortunately, sometimes customers can cause the tent to become misaligned if they do not deploy the tent correctly, drop it while mounting it, or try to open the cover to the bed of their truck without removing the tent first.” Sad.

“if they do not deploy the tent correctly”??? You unclip the latches around the tent. Push up the back, then push up the front.

“drop it while mounting it” If I had dropped the tent, it would have scuffs and scratches from hitting the pavement or ground and most likely dents. The only damage to the tent as verified by three independent reviews is the defective corner.

“or try to open the cover to the bed of their truck without removing the tent first”. I have a DiamondBack HD cover on my truck. Anyone familiar with the DB HD knows it opens in a front section and a rear section. The tent is mounted on Front Runner load bars. If I had attempted to open the DB with the tent mounted, the tent would be damaged in the middle as I attempted to fold it in half. Ridiculous!

BUYER BEWARE! Here’s the real testament to FSR’s quality as a company. As I noted in one of my posts above, FSR runs multiple sales per year. Many more than other RTT suppliers. I thought it was odd until now. I purchased my Evolution during one of the FSR sales. The reason FSR states they will not offer a full refund, “We do not offer refunds for sale items.” Anyone thinking of purchasing from FSR during a sale or at one of the upcoming Overland Expos, if a discount is offered, should think again. If you sign for the delivery, IT’S YOURS NO MATTER WHAT. “We do not offer refunds for sale items.” The only thing missing from the FSR response is: We do not stand behind our products.

• Wow
Reactions: KonzaLander

JakJak

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Calhan, CO, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Freeman
UPDATE: My CC company called on Saturday (04/16/2022). We have a response from FSR and my CC company requested a couple of additional documents before they make a final decision on the dispute. I was also sent the response from FSR. Sad response at best but speaks volumes to the type of business FSR truly is.

FSR’s defense of the issue: “Unfortunately, sometimes customers can cause the tent to become misaligned if they do not deploy the tent correctly, drop it while mounting it, or try to open the cover to the bed of their truck without removing the tent first.” Sad.

“if they do not deploy the tent correctly”??? You unclip the latches around the tent. Push up the back, then push up the front.

“drop it while mounting it” If I had dropped the tent, it would have scuffs and scratches from hitting the pavement or ground and most likely dents. The only damage to the tent as verified by three independent reviews is the defective corner.

“or try to open the cover to the bed of their truck without removing the tent first”. I have a DiamondBack HD cover on my truck. Anyone familiar with the DB HD knows it opens in a front section and a rear section. The tent is mounted on Front Runner load bars. If I had attempted to open the DB with the tent mounted, the tent would be damaged in the middle as I attempted to fold it in half. Ridiculous!

BUYER BEWARE! Here’s the real testament to FSR’s quality as a company. As I noted in one of my posts above, FSR runs multiple sales per year. Many more than other RTT suppliers. I thought it was odd until now. I purchased my Evolution during one of the FSR sales. The reason FSR states they will not offer a full refund, “We do not offer refunds for sale items.” Anyone thinking of purchasing from FSR during a sale or at one of the upcoming Overland Expos, if a discount is offered, should think again. If you sign for the delivery, IT’S YOURS NO MATTER WHAT. “We do not offer refunds for sale items.” The only thing missing from the FSR response is: We do not stand behind our products.
That’s crap man…. “ blame it on the user” that’s a IT term lol… srsly I hope people going to the OXpo see them from this group and give em crap for ya. Sorry brother I know that’s so frustrating when you spend serious Money

Reactions: Shadow Overland

Shadow Overland

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Tampa, FL, USA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4YGR
That’s crap man…. “ blame it on the user” that’s a IT term lol… srsly I hope people going to the OXpo see them from this group and give em crap for ya. Sorry brother I know that’s so frustrating when you spend serious Money
JakJak, Already have my flights and tickets for OXpo West. FSR won't be there but two of their dealers will be. I'll be handing out information on my experience with FSR all weekend. Me and a couple of friends are considering OXpo PNW as well this year. FSR has a booth at PNW. I'll be camped out across from it if I go.

Shadow Overland

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Tampa, FL, USA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4YGR
UPDATE: My CC company called on Wednesday (05/18/2022) to inform me the dispute was resolved in my favor. I have a full refund of my purchase price and the Evolution has been turned over to the local dealer. I was under no obligation to turn the RTT over, but I want nothing more to do with FSR. FSR has updated their “Shipping and Returns” policies on the FSR website and no longer list “Exchanges” or “Exceptions”. Curious?? So glad to have this behind me. I’m sure it’s no surprise to anyone reading this post that I would not recommend FSR for any product, EVER! Everyone have a GREAT holiday weekend.

Pantaloons

Rank 0

Contributor II

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
pancakes
Last Name
bacon
Received my FSR 55" Evolution on Dec 9, 2021, and mounted it to the Front Runner load bars on my DiamondBack HD cover. It road around with me until Feb 12, 2022, when I had the opportunity to take my first overnight camping trip with the rig and RTT.

First issue. Upon arriving at camp and trying to set up the ladder, I noticed that one set of nuts in the aluminum track were installed wrong. I could only connect one ladder hook. The fix is to remove the bottom bolts from one hinge and slide two of the nuts around, but I didn't have all the tools with me to remove and reinstall a hinge (see pic Ladder Nuts Correct and Ladder Nuts Wrong).

Second issue. The next morning, I noticed that the silver metal corners have all started to rust. This is after only 67 days of ownership. FSR made the excuse that I left some protective plastic film over the corners that is trapping moisture. I verified there is no plastic film. This has also been verified by three independent reviews of the tent by different companies. One a national outfitter of outdoor gear, one a FSR Dealer, and one a local franchise of a national body shop chain.

Third issue. This is the most concerning issue as the tent does not seal properly on one corner when closed (see pic Tent Gap 01, Tent Gap 02, Tent Gap 03). If you are not familiar with the Evolution, it is a hardshell tent with top and bottom sections connected by a metal ring in the center that the hinges attach to. Three corners of the tent seal correctly when closed and look great (see pic Tent Rear 01). I also have a walk-around video of the tent starting at the first good corner and working around to the corner with the issue.

Notified FSR of the issues on Feb 14, 2022, and went back and forth over 17 days where FSR went from stating I had minor issues to the issue at the corner is so bad I should have noticed it upon unboxing. Maybe so, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the issue still exists and is a quality control issue. As previously noted, FSR stated the rusting corner issues is due to me leaving a protective film on the corners and trapping moisture. (??) Isn't the idea of a "protective" film to protect? In any event, there was no plastic film. The response with the incorrectly placed ladder nuts was "sorry, but that's an easy fix". Again, maybe so, but not for the price they fetch for a RTT.

The defective corner is obviously the most concerning issue since the corner doesn't seal properly. FSR's first response was that I didn't close the tent properly. I verified by opening and closing the tent again. FSR then stated that this model sometimes gets out of alignment and I just needed to shift it around as close it. Then it went to, unclip the metal latches but don't open the tent. Shift it around on my truck and it will align. FSR then took the position that the corner was so bad that I should have noticed it when I received it. Again, maybe so, but that doesn't take away from the defect and that the tent has zero user damage.

FSR finally notified me on March 3, 2022, that they "are willing to go above and beyond and replace the tent", but ONLY if I cover all shipping costs of the new tent to me and the defective tent back to them. Shipping costs currently quoted at over $900. I fail to see why the customer should pay any shipping costs to replace a defective product. I now have three independent reviews of the RTT. All three companies have confirmed the issues and the corner defect in signed letters. I attempted to resolve the shipping charges with FSR, dealing with Katie (FSR Warranty Mgr.) via a phone call on March 3. Katie refused to discuss her email or the RTT any further when I asked why FSR felt that I should pay shipping when there is no user damage to the RTT. Katie instructed me to dispute the charge on my credit card and she would take it from there and she ended the call.

I have since done as Katie requested. I provided all documents to my CC including the 3 second opinions from independent companies and the charge has been disputed. I'll keep you posted on the outcome, but wanted anyone in the market for a RTT to know about my experience with FSR.

Pantaloons

Rank 0

Contributor II

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
pancakes
Last Name
bacon
Super glad I came across your post, I was getting ready to make purchase, but was going to wait for a sale. No Thank You- this sounds like the Thule Tepui nightmare I already experienced from a shop in Boulder. It's eerily similar in that I was blamed for "improperly closing up the tent," the FIRST WEEKEND of using it causing the lid to crack in multiple places! As if...

At one point in the "discussions" (just them blaming me for any possible thing), I got testy with them and mentioned how among other sloppy install items- they neglected to remove the plastic covering - one more chore for me to deal with. They even turned that around saying that MOST of their customers "liked having it on, so they could remove it and know it was brand new"!

This could possibly have been true except they had lied so much at that point, I decided it was made up on the spot.

My suggestion- go to every possible review site such as Yelp and Google and BBB Online and write down what happened. That finally did the trick with the Boulder store that previously REFUSED to deal with me at all. Thule was a completely disorganized mess of a company and took the store's side without even looking at the pictures I sent as far as I could tell. Horrible all around.

Im starting to think maybe this whole RTT thing is a no-go.

blazingwebs

Rank 0

Contributor II

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Pelley
*UPDATE* The owners reached out to me personally to make things right. Couldn't be happier!

I've been overlanding since before Covid. I currently have a 3yr old Roofnest Hardshell RTT. I've gotten my money's worth, but the quality sucks. Even though I had a protective cover, the shell started cracking after 1yr. Roofnest's support sent us the equivalent of "Tough-as-Nails” to seal it ourselves (as opposed to shipping it back for a replacement). So then I thought, to hell with the cover and I sprung to have it Line-X coated. Still it continued to crack. With spring here I want a replacement and I started looking at their competitors and landed on Freespirit. Although the build quality looks nice, I'll never know how it holds up because after a month (March 8th to April 8th) of dealing with their new sales person (I won't list names) and trying to buy one for myself, they have been playing games and pushed me to take my business elsewhere. I drove 2hrs there and 2hrs home to check out their showroom and products, I wanted to make a deal then and there but the salesperson said he couldn't without the owner. So then they started the back and forth via email (let me check with the owner) until the March 10% sale was over (so I missed that), then, he (salesperson) changed the purchase package to get me to pay for things that I didn't want and was not part of the agreed upon purchase. Ultimately I had to tell them I was no longer interested in dealing with their company. Of course no response to my pleasantly worded dissatisfaction. Wish I could get in touch with the owner directly to see if the problem is the salesperson, or company culture (but email and calls funnel through the sales person). If anyone questions the legitimacy of my claim I am happy to forward all email correspondence with their sales department.

Last edited:

Shadow Overland

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Tampa, FL, USA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4YGR
*UPDATE* The owners reached out to me personally to make things right. Couldn't be happier!

I've been overlanding since before Covid. I currently have a 3yr old Roofnest Hardshell RTT. I've gotten my money's worth, but the quality sucks. Even though I had a protective cover, the shell started cracking after 1yr. Roofnest's support sent us the equivalent of "Tough-as-Nails” to seal it ourselves (as opposed to shipping it back for a replacement). So then I thought, to hell with the cover and I sprung to have it Line-X coated. Still it continued to crack. With spring here I want a replacement and I started looking at their competitors and landed on Freespirit. Although the build quality looks nice, I'll never know how it holds up because after a month (March 8th to April 8th) of dealing with their new sales person (I won't list names) and trying to buy one for myself, they have been playing games and pushed me to take my business elsewhere. I drove 2hrs there and 2hrs home to check out their showroom and products, I wanted to make a deal then and there but the salesperson said he couldn't without the owner. So then they started the back and forth via email (let me check with the owner) until the March 10% sale was over (so I missed that), then, he (salesperson) changed the purchase package to get me to pay for things that I didn't want and was not part of the agreed upon purchase. Ultimately I had to tell them I was no longer interested in dealing with their company. Of course no response to my pleasantly worded dissatisfaction. Wish I could get in touch with the owner directly to see if the problem is the salesperson, or company culture (but email and calls funnel through the sales person). If anyone questions the legitimacy of my claim I am happy to forward all email correspondence with their sales department.
Glad it worked out for you. Wasn’t my experience. Had the same deal where employees would block me from talking to the owner. Had to deal with a “lady” who was everything but. I won’t recommend FS to anyone as long as I live and breath.