Free Camping/Overland Drawer Plans! - 4Runner

• HTML tutorial

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Thanks for sharing this. I've been considering switching to a drawer system in the Xterra. If I do it, this will make an excellent starting point. Doesn't look like I'd have to change much.
in the next coming months, I plan to get plans ready for all popular platforms. I'll try to ensure that xterra makes the list!

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

The Drawer Plans are finally out!
After many efforts and delays, I am happy to announce to everyone that the drawer plans are finally out!

This is a modular system designed for use in the 4th gen 4Runner that I built for myself. This means if someone wants to build just one part of the 4 part system, they should be able to. It also could probably be adapted to other vehicle platforms.

My motivations for making this free are a direct result of the community. The OB community is wonderful and has helped me with plenty of questions, and I've made plenty of friends!. You guys even helped me create this storage system (Thanks again Matt!)

Use it for tailgating, use it to carry your guns, camping gear, spare parts, or even kid's toys. Whatever makes you happy.

To get the plans, simply go to the website, add all of the items to the cart and checkout. It'll be $0.00 and you'll get a link in your email to download.

To order the parts, the list is on the website with amazon links.

Enjoy! :sunglasses:
-Adam

Click here for the full album link
Click Here to get the plans
I hope the plans will also work for the 5th GEN 4Runner with some minor adjustments? Either way awesome drawer unit. Just dropped a donation Your contribution of $25.00 to TheAdventureIndex.com has been confirmed.

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

The Drawer Plans are finally out!
To get the plans, simply go to the website, add all of the items to the cart and checkout. It'll be $0.00 and you'll get a link in your email to download.

To order the parts, the list is on the website with amazon links.

Enjoy! :sunglasses:
-Adam
Click Here to get the plans

Adam and All:

Just wanted to post an update. For those going with the Ryadon drawer slides per the parts list. I ran into an issue where one set of the 36" slides developed a jam where the drawer would only open about 3/4 of the way. Additional complications include:
- The drawer no longer locks open
- Reduced travel length compromised access to the mounting hardware for removal of the drawer

I'd been trying to resolve the problem off and on since is began last fall but was not achieving any success. I sent an email to the Sales Rep that I'd worked with to purchase the slides (they were not available on Amazon at the time), She got back to me a day later with the following update:

The issue can and will occur when the sliding assembly is only partially opened although it is a lot more common on the longer lengths. After repeated cycles, if the slides are NOT pulled out to full extension, the ball strips will migrate. The only way to reset them is to pull the sliding assembly out to full extension to reset the ball strips. It may be a little difficult but that’s okay. You will have to force the sliding assembly to slip thru the ball strips to full extension.
This fit well with my observations as the drawer with the problem has my recovery gear in the back 1/4 of the space, so I was only opening it far enough to get access to what I needed.

Resolving this issue did take considerable force; More than I would have used w/o this update. Had to put my legs into it to fully extend the fouled drawer to a fully open and locked position. Once opened it now slides easily and correctly over it's full length. The lock open function has returned and all appears back to normal.

TLDR: When using the Ryadon drawer slides be sure to fully open to the locking position and close the drawer each time you use it.

Boort

Reactions: TheAdventureIndex