Fraser Island - Australia

• HTML tutorial

Rolf C-P

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK
Member #

Well I am off to Australia (From the UK) on Boxing day and while most of the three week holiday will be the standard family holiday, I have booked to hire a 4WD to drive the famous 75mile Rainbow Beach and across to Fraser Island. I admit that it is not a true Overland as I will be staying in a hotel on Fraser Island but this is a trip that I have looked forward to since I drove Rainbow beach in a friends series 2 SWB land rover in 1990 . Sand driving will be new to me but looking forward to the challenge.
Any tips for sand drive appreciated.

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
Fraser is a great time, get off the beaten track and out on foot and do some exploring. There is an old logging ghost town that is worth the voyage. The beach driving is pretty high traveled, just watch the tide charts and you'll be golden.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I've seen some cool YouTube video's about driving on Fraser Island.. I think Ronny Dahl has some good sand driving tips on his channel as well. Imho he has quite some informative video's reguardless.

Anyway, enjoy the trip!
Good old Ronny Dhal.. Sand driving mostly comes down to PSI and momentum. Saw this video from Roothy the other day randomly.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Awesome stuff i just got back from there last week :) im up there once a month for work there has just been a pretty large bush fire on the island so some tracks where closed but im sure they will be open by the time you get there. You will be fine driving just remember to drop your pressure and stay away from the soft stuff if you do get stuck the place is packed during christmas so plenty of people to give you a hand and dont forget to check tide times also watch your speed the beach is classed as a public road so normal road rules apply and the boys in blue are out in force this time of year

Hope you have an awesome time

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
looks like your having a great time mate :) how long you there for im back up there in just over a week would be kool to catch up for a chat if your still around

Reactions: Luis Merlo