Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

I figured I was due to start putting together the history of my 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road to document how it started and where it sits currently. This will be heavy with pictures, as we are always bringing the camera out with us on adventures.

For anyone interested in following, my Instagram handle is @fortis_overland

Here is the truck as it currently sits. No major modifications so far, however, I do plan on suspension and tire upgrades in the near future.

IMG_1778.JPG

Current Modifications:

1. CaliRaised Ditch Light LED Pods
2. KB VooDoo Bed Rack - for RTT
3. CVT Mt. Shasta/Bachelor Roof Top Tent
4. 265/70/16 Goodyear Duratrac Tires
5. Toyota SR front grille
6. aFe MAGNUM FLOW PRO DRY S AIR FILTER
7. Hi-lift - 48"

Planned Near-Term Modifications

1. 2" Suspension lift (Bilstein, OME, Toytec?)
2. 285/75/16 AT tires
3. Rock sliders
4. Hard-top bed cap

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Before I go into the day I sold the truck, here is what I'm coming from. 2014 Ford Mustang V6, slightly modified. I bought the car new and in bare bones form, but ended up turning it into a respectable and fun canyon carver. There are days that I miss the speed, but the Tacoma provides so much more. I also have grown up being a major Ford Ranger fan. I've owned two over the years, and when considering selling both the Ranger and the Mustang, I was yearning for a new Ranger to be sold, but Ford was slacking. I had always been a major fan of the Tacoma, and when the 3rd Gen arrived I jumped on it as quickly as I could.

IMG_1036.jpg

6tag_010316-195901.jpg

6tag_010316-203235.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

Attachments

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

It didn't take much convincing on buying the Tacoma, as I knew I wanted something tough, capable, mid-size, and new. I had always been up for adventure, but in my searches on Tacoma, I came across a Motortrend Epic Drives video on YouTube that sealed the deal for me:

When seeing what the Tacoma could do stock, it was a no brainer. Here are some of the first pics I got of the vehicle.

IMG_20160515_100401.jpg

IMG_20160520_171449.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: martin_j001

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

This is where the fun started. I knew that I wanted to do exactly what Motortrend did on their Epic Drives Tacoma trip. This is where my love for overlanding began. I began by buying a FunTreks Moab guidebook, and pinpointed White Rim Trail for our first adventure. I would need to make sure that the truck could handle the trail, that we had the proper resources, and the proper recovery gear. So much for not modding the truck!

I first bought a bed rack from Adventure Off Road Fabrications in Highlands Ranch, CO. This would support the CVT roof top tent that I was saving for. I also bought stock size, 265/70/16 Goodyear Duratracs to better tackle the Colorado winters.

The project, with a defined goal at hand, then became PROJECT MOAB

IMG_1218.jpg IMG_1217.jpg

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

We took the truck on several local 4x4 trips to get used to the new tech that the Toyota offers, and just to get an overall feel for the truck as a whole. Mt. Baldy trail near Colorado Springs proved to be a great trail to get started on.

IMG_1256-Edit.jpg

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

And then our real overlanding experience happened. We were prepared to take on White Rim Trail in Moab, UT. This trip alone changed our perspective on what we're working hard, trying to achieve, and overall well-being. Can't say enough about this experience!

On top of Shafer Switchbacks
IMG_1335.jpg

Looking the opposite way at the truck on Shafer Switchbacks
IMG_1340.jpg

We reached the bottom in one piece!
IMG_1343.jpg

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

From Shafer Trail, we ventured onto Potash Road to get a glimpse of our campsite (Shafer Campground) for the night and to do some exploring.

The Colorado River from Potash Road, Moab, UT
IMG_1348.jpg

Near Thelma and Louise Point on Potash Road. Epic scenery!
IMG_1352.JPG

We then came back to Shafer Campground and setup camp for the night. Pictures don't do this location justice. Sundown and sunup were incredible!

IMG_1354.jpg
IMG_1356.jpg
IMG_1357.jpg
IMG_1360.jpg

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

We went down Lathrop Canyon and decided to give the Crawl Control a try on the Tacoma for the first time. Worked great! Even though we were aired up to 40 psi, the Duratracs took to the sand with no problem. We finally made it down to the Colorado River.

IMG_1376.jpg IMG_1380.JPG

Reactions: martin_j001

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

We then set off for our next campsite for the night, Murphy Hogback. And we had no clue what we were in for...

IMG_1396.jpg
IMG_1400.jpg
IMG_1403.jpg

Night came, and the light show began! Pictures don't do this justice! I set my watch alarm to wake me up at 0100 the following morning to check on the stars, and they did not disappoint.

IMG_1409.jpg
IMG_1414.jpg
IMG_1423.jpg
IMG_1424.JPG

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

I'll need to update my latest specs on the truck on the first posting. We spent last week in Moab cutting up some trails and getting in some good hiking. First picture is at the bottom of the Shafer Switchbacks, and the second is on Potash Road. We've regularly made Moab our yearly overlanding vacation. It just doesn't get old.

IMG_2071.jpg IMG_2075.jpg IMG_2070.jpg IMG_2069.jpg

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Amen, what kind of camera are you rocking?
I use a Canon S120 for everything. I've always thought about moving to a larger DSLR camera, but the point and shoot size of this thing really helps when going out on trips. The picture quality is usually good enough to print 20x30 prints without any blur. Highly recommended!

Reactions: chuckoverland

freedomomelet

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Nebraska
Launch Member

Influencer I

Springfield, NE
Member #

Before I go into the day I sold the truck, here is what I'm coming from. 2014 Ford Mustang V6, slightly modified. I bought the car new and in bare bones form, but ended up turning it into a respectable and fun canyon carver. There are days that I miss the speed, but the Tacoma provides so much more. I also have grown up being a major Ford Ranger fan. I've owned two over the years, and when considering selling both the Ranger and the Mustang, I was yearning for a new Ranger to be sold, but Ford was slacking. I had always been a major fan of the Tacoma, and when the 3rd Gen arrived I jumped on it as quickly as I could.

View attachment 53996

View attachment 53993

View attachment 53988

View attachment 53997
Hey @Fortis Overland I came from the mustang world as well and am also in a TRD OR Taco. Great switch!

freedomomelet

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Nebraska
Launch Member

Influencer I

Springfield, NE
Member #

Same. Keep us up on your build progress. Really like seeing what works and what doesn't with these trucks, especially as I start to mod mine. Looking at tires, sliders, racks.
Cheers