Trussville, AL, USA
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Blass
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4GHR
I retired last July (2020). I had a great job but it was all consuming. When I was at work I was fighting dragons. When I was not at work I was preparing for dragons and praying they would leave me alone. My hope was that upon retirement the dragons would fade and be replaced by the wonders of Gods creations. I want to see America from the inside, spend time forest bathing, and communing with God and his creation. Shortly after I retired I managed to travel from Trussville, Alabama to Washington State and return. The trip was good but not what I wanted. I drove interstates and put miles on my van. What I did not do was stop along the way to savor where I was and what I was doing.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I retired last July (2020). I had a great job but it was all consuming. When I was at work I was fighting dragons. When I was not at work I was preparing for dragons and praying they would leave me alone. My hope was that upon retirement the dragons would fade and be replaced by the wonders of Gods creations. I want to see America from the inside, spend time forest bathing, and communing with God and his creation. Shortly after I retired I managed to travel from Trussville, Alabama to Washington State and return. The trip was good but not what I wanted. I drove interstates and put miles on my van. What I did not do was stop along the way to savor where I was and what I was doing.
Totally get you, Dennis

I retired a while back myself and pretty much have the same sentiment of wanting to get out and actually live life now after many years of trying to "slay the dragon", which has been promoted as the American Dream where we work 24/7 to hurry up and accumulate a never ending list of material things that end up being a burden rather than an enjoyment.

Once you retire, it really seems hard not to get out there and try to experience everything at once, but like you just said about doing interstate miles and not stopping along the way...you're pretty much back to old habits of hurry hurry hurry. Its all good, though. It won't take long and you'll find your groove and be relaxed when you travel and eventually just go with the flow and good things will find you. My wife and I travel together all the time and we rarely make any plans, we just head in a general area and good things always seem to find us.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey Dennis - welcome to the madness!

I'll share the best advice I've ever been given regarding long-term travel: Slow Down.

Stick around and enjoy each new place you're already in. Get off the interstate and explore an area fully without itinerary or plan for the day. Get to know the local diners, parks, people, and culture. You spend a lot less time driving, a lot less on fuel, and a lot more time thoroughly enjoying yourself.

When I do that I feel like I've actually been somewhere more than just a succession of interstate exchanges. There's so much to see between start and end points.

Good luck out there!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

My Guess was you had a agenda, and you went after the agenda as you would a dragon. I am a "A" type and that's what I do. I now plan off days, days that are to post up and hike, ride the bike, fish, something other than getting to point A. or the next place. I will then get busy doing the thing that is on top of the list for that day. When I overland the plan is not drive somedays, the goal is to micro-view instead maco-view through the windshield. I also plan on getting to places that are away from the interstate, or a place I want to see, or a trail I want to drive. For me a 2 week trip is about right.

firemen7

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, CA, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
McLaren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EBY
Service Branch
Firefighter/Paramedi
Hey Dennis, like you when I retired in July 2018 it was a difficult change in my life and it took me quite awhile to change my habits, plans and my thought process. We had also relocated from the Bay Area in California to Southern California. God’s creation is beautiful and He has provided us with good health and an active sense for adventure. We have made it a point not to travel interstates if possible, set the course in a general direction and allow more time for the sites. That being said, I also plan trips that are destination and time oriented (fishing, family trips or traveling with friends).

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @rrjones2u
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I just retired with grand plans of adventuring the Rockies. I still have the plan. But, I have been refining and re-refining my rig and kit and also found that there are many wonderful places in my area that I am still exploring and enjoying during this spring weather. I'm headed out the door right now to a 25,000 acre Game Mgt. Area that my son had been telling me about. Now that it is dry I can explore it even more. There's a lot out there to see but you have to slow down to see it. Google Earth Maps have been invaluable helping me find the small interesting spots. Good Luck on your quests!

Reactions: dennisblass

dennisblass

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Trussville, AL, USA
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Blass
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4GHR
My Guess was you had a agenda, and you went after the agenda as you would a dragon. I am a "A" type and that's what I do. I now plan off days, days that are to post up and hike, ride the bike, fish, something other than getting to point A. or the next place. I will then get busy doing the thing that is on top of the list for that day. When I overland the plan is not drive somedays, the goal is to micro-view instead maco-view through the windshield. I also plan on getting to places that are away from the interstate, or a place I want to see, or a trail I want to drive. For me a 2 week trip is about right.
Good advice. I'm going to do Route 66 this summer. I'll inject your advcie into my agenda.

Reactions: MMc

dennisblass

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Trussville, AL, USA
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Blass
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4GHR
I just retired with grand plans of adventuring the Rockies. I still have the plan. But, I have been refining and re-refining my rig and kit and also found that there are many wonderful places in my area that I am still exploring and enjoying during this spring weather. I'm headed out the door right now to a 25,000 acre Game Mgt. Area that my son had been telling me about. Now that it is dry I can explore it even more. There's a lot out there to see but you have to slow down to see it. Google Earth Maps have been invaluable helping me find the small interesting spots. Good Luck on your quests!
I'm doing forest roads in the Talladega National Forrest. The Talladega National Forrest includes three distinct areas. I really enjoyed the winter trips. With the leaves gone I can see much further than in the summer. But everyday in the forest is good for my soul.

Reactions: FishinCrzy and Road

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
Hi Dennis,

Thank you for sharing your story. It resonates with me in many ways. I’m twice retired (currently working in career #3). I spent 21 years in the Military and 16 in the Fire Service. My time in uniform(s) dealing with 24/7 stress and trauma presented me my own dragons. I dealt with them in a variety of ways... some healthy - some not so healthy. The only place I find solace was in the remote wilderness or climbing well into the alpine zone. Unfortunately, years of damage to my body was preventing me from climbing or backpacking... to battle my dragons. This put my head in a really bad space. A friend put me in contact with an organization called Huts for Vets in Aspen Colorado. The Executive Director, Paul Anderson convinced to attend one of their wilderness trips where I was exposed to “Forest Bathing”. The concept has completely changed my perspective in life and helped me keep my dragons at bay. Overlanding has given me the tools I need to still get where I need to be to feel at peace. If you ever get out west, look me up. I’d love to talk and share the places I go to fight the good fight and take advantage of Gods Creations.

Best ~ Woody

Reactions: Road

dennisblass

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Trussville, AL, USA
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Blass
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4GHR
Hi Dennis,

Thank you for sharing your story. It resonates with me in many ways. I’m twice retired (currently working in career #3). I spent 21 years in the Military and 16 in the Fire Service. My time in uniform(s) dealing with 24/7 stress and trauma presented me my own dragons. I dealt with them in a variety of ways... some healthy - some not so healthy. The only place I find solace was in the remote wilderness or climbing well into the alpine zone. Unfortunately, years of damage to my body was preventing me from climbing or backpacking... to battle my dragons. This put my head in a really bad space. A friend put me in contact with an organization called Huts for Vets in Aspen Colorado. The Executive Director, Paul Anderson convinced to attend one of their wilderness trips where I was exposed to “Forest Bathing”. The concept has completely changed my perspective in life and helped me keep my dragons at bay. Overlanding has given me the tools I need to still get where I need to be to feel at peace. If you ever get out west, look me up. I’d love to talk and share the places I go to fight the good fight and take advantage of Gods Creations.

Best ~ Woody
Woody, Thanks for your reply. I was in policing for thirty years and private security for 15 years. Now I am an assistant nanny or nanny in waiting. My wife cares for my grandson while my son and his wife work. I help, hence I am an assistant.

Forest bathing does indeed change perspectives. Sitting in the woods savoring smells, sounds, sights and things we touch is good for the soul. It is a shame so few have heard of it and take the time to do it.

If I do get out west I will let you know and you get to central Alabama look me up.

Dennis

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
Woody, Thanks for your reply. I was in policing for thirty years and private security for 15 years. Now I am an assistant nanny or nanny in waiting. My wife cares for my grandson while my son and his wife work. I help, hence I am an assistant.

Forest bathing does indeed change perspectives. Sitting in the woods savoring smells, sounds, sights and things we touch is good for the soul. It is a shame so few have heard of it and take the time to do it.

If I do get out west I will let you know and you get to central Alabama look me up.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis. I come from a long line of LEOs (Dad, God Father, Uncles, Cousins... most SFPD). My dad discouraged my brothers and I from pursuing careers in the family business, yet we ended up in more gunfights than the rest of the family. Ha-ha! I do get out near you on occasion. I'll be teaching in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Georgia over the next few months. Who knows maybe even in the Yellow Hammer State. I'll let you know.