Ford Maverick and the small overlanding pickup truck

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I pulled up behind an AWD Maverick at the gas station with my MJ the other day. To my surprise the two were almost the same size. I really wanted to dislike the Maverick... but I don't hate it.
It's going to be a great vehicle. I can't wait until they offer a PHEV AWD version. I am sure it's coming. They were testing the waters with the hybrid tech in it.

U

UgotWheelz

As a bronco sport owner my only concern with the Maverick is that it will suffer from the same reliability problems as the bronco sport right now I’m waiting nine months for a passenger side window after somebody shot my window out Christmas with a pellet gun I’ve also had a water pump go out at 20,000 miles and since then my gas mileage has dropped about 8 miles per gallon gas gauge is in accurate the temperature gage is inconsistent and it’s reading the rear brakes howling squeal like no tomorrow whenever you back up after the vehicles been sitting cold for a while none of this has been addressed by Ford or the dealer they also can’t replicate the problem. Also supply chain has proven to be a major issue it took six weeks to get the water pump which the air freighted from the UK for my vehicle they can’t get a window for the broken window and with the new drive trains and engines those parts aren’t even sitting in warehouses anywhere yet. But I think the maverick all wheel drive FX four with a tow package is a better vehicle than the bronco you get more bang for your buck the bronco can’t tell much it doesn’t have much payload capacity and it’s overpriced.

fstfrd00

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Fort Worth
Ive seen a few cruising by the house. They're not bad looking (haven't drove one yet) but them being unibody would give me pause.

D

Deleted member 14476

I’ve taken my Maverick so far through the most of the desert in my area, and even went duning in it (on the stock steelies and stock tires and only got stuck once, but just had to reverse out). Amazing truck so far. I got 5k miles on it with a lot of that being dirt.
Still thinking of how I want to set it up for overlanding trips. Going to need to be a superlite layout, but right now it’s running a barebones setup. It’s seriously a blast. Mines the xl awd 2.0 and it’s just so fun to drive on and offroad. Feels like a go kart. My only complaint is I wish there were more aftermarket parts for it!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
It's front wheel drive. Like a Honda.

Get a Ranger instead.
My wife test drove one the other day. Currently the hybrid is available in FWD only
All the gas models come with AWD or 4WD. I was impressed with the simplicity, the ergonomics & the size of the vehicle. I’m a six footer and had plenty of room in the back. It’s a perfect fit for my wife and how she drives. It’ll be great for regular road trips as well and it is a Ford. I’m always skeptical of unibodies. However I’ve owned a 60, 64 twice, 70, 72, 87 & 89. Ford does build a good truck. Would I buy one for myself? No. For my wife? Yes, and that, I believe is their target market.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Can someone here tell me why FWD is worse than RWD?
Yes. I can. But it would take a few pages, so I’ll shorten it up.

once you lose control of a fwd you cannot get it back, that’s why so many fwd vehicles are off in the ditch every time it snows. countersteering in a slide is a natural reaction, do that in a fwd and yup, off in the ditch.
fwd instills an unwarranted confidence in adverse weather.
fwd is much more expensive to repair than rwd or solid axle 4wd.
I could go on and discuss why nearly every state had their troopers driving rwd for as long as possible, now most all are awd.

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

We got our Maverick, FWD Hybrid, Base Model with Tow = $21,500! I did not buy this for Overland Trips, unless it’s pure Hwy or gravel roads. This is my daughters truck to go to College and toss a few bales of hay in the back.

With that being said, I love it. I’m 6’1” and 240lbs. I fit in the front seats, I fit in the back seats. My daughters trip to college an hour away she averaged 44mpg. I’ve had it average 55mpg to town. Highway is does use more gas, but for the average grocery trip it’s awesome.

The tank seems to be small, but we have 626 miles on it and just filled it up.

If they had a AWD hybrid, I would buy one for myself, straight up.

I am very happy with this purchase, and I just purchased myself a new rig, but I am pretty excited for this Maverick.

Here is a photo of it next to my rig.

Attachments

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I pulled up behind an AWD Maverick at the gas station with my MJ the other day. To my surprise the two were almost the same size. I really wanted to dislike the Maverick... but I don't hate it.
It's amazing how large "small" trucks have gotten over the years.

Reactions: KonzaLander

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Hopefully in the next year or two, Ford comes out with a AWD FX4 PHEV version of the mav. that would be an easy sell. Give it 150km of all electric range and 1000 km of dual fuel range and it will be A no brainer for ALOT of people.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

We stopped at a large regional Ford dealer yesterday that is big enough where it has separate Chevy and Jeep dealers on the lot. Lady Beagle was interested in a hybrid Maverick. They had 5 or 6 on the lot, all AWD, none hybrid, all with a few options added. After options, the prices were around $32k. There was a hand written "market adjustment + $15,000USD" note on ALL of them.

So, almost $50 grand. For a unibody all wheel drive puddle jumper. Nope. No. Uh uh! Not happening.

My girl currently has a 2013 GMC Terrain Denali AWD, which we bought used 2 or 3 years ago for about $16k. It is quite comfortable, very well appointed, handles like it's on rails,
is great on the road in bad weather and has a fair amount of interior passenger and cargo room. As a matter of fact, my buddy just bought a brand new Subaru Outback with all or most of the bells and whistles. Very nice car. But this almost 10 year old GMC Terrain Denali had all the same options. All of them. I think we will continue that buying trend for the forseeable.

• Wow
Reactions: KonzaLander

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Yup. The current "market adjustment" in town is the same; about +75% MSRP. Used base model hybrids with limited options are selling for 35k+ when they were 21k new 6 months ago.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I stopped in yesterday at the Local stealership here. They have 3 Mavericks on the lot, I am guessing they are all sold. I gave an XLT 2.0 a good look over. What a rig. I think the tremor when it comes out is going to be awesome. Hopefully it will be available in a PHEV powertrain and keep all it's off road ability.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
"Tremor" Maverick

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
thoughts on the FX4 vs Tremor. The tremor has loads going for it vs the FX4 like the extra little lift, elocker, better bumper on the front etc. Is the 4k tow package worth NOT getting the tremor?
The locker alone would make it worth it for me but for me re:towing, my towing is usually sub 1 ton with not much more than that rarely. Flat towing my CJ2A (2200 lb curb weight) is generally about as heavy as I get.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I watched a video from driving sports comparing the outback wilderness to the Maverick FX4. The FX4 AWD is much better than the soobs off road. They had different tires but that would not make the huge difference that was shown. The soob is an awesome rig, and I would love to have one, but after watching the maverick crawl up the hill while the soob sat and tried to figure out what to do, it needs to up it's awd game. Some new wizbangery like a locking rear in the OB would be very welcome. I was looking at the tremor vs. FX4, and the tremor's rear locker is not needed for what I will be doing.

The 4k Towing is needed however.

Reactions: EBasil