Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

2000 Ford E350 7.3 Turbo Diesel 2WD I call it the "Van On Fire"

Final phase of a continuing build.......

Just sold my 1993 Gm Blazer Sport 4X4, great unit and had it since new, It was my off road up the nasty areas camping etc. vehicle. I have been working on this for not to long as it is really not too elaborate. It was built to carry either of my motorcycles and have everything inside, most of my adventures are solo as I rather go during the week and miss the weekenders if possible. I carry one of 2 M/C if I go solo just to have a escape "pod" I go out as far as I can then leave my dog to guard camp and head out to the harder spots to reach. Having 50 years riding gets me there faster and safer as I do not hurry. If I did not carry a bike I woould of built it out MUCH different. Without one in there it seems empty. Takes about 10 minutes to revert it to a "Cargo" van.

Now I am clear for a 2000 or so Jeep XJ build, that is unless I can get my friends Landcruiser that sits doing nothing in Idaho........

So.... I looking for Van to upgrade from my 95 Ford F250 also with the great 7.3 Turbo Diesel, have alot of experience with The 7.3 and Cumins diesels. Bought it at auction for $2000 plus fees form the local college, fleet maintained and the kids there painted it as it is and gutted the interior except the insulation (interior used for teaching in class). Would of done that anyways so the canvas was clear. Had some engine codes so they wanted to sell it, 300,000 miles but thats not much for a maintained engine. Crawled all over it and it had so much new stuff underneath and a fresh transmission to boot. Valve cover harnesses were the issue as it is for some of these, few hours and some OEM parts etc and it was purring, AC and heat were great. Tires and paint were already there.

When I got the title at the school I commented on some art behind the counter which was really cool, the guy helping me smiled and said he did it. He then said you want to talk to the guys who took care of your van, oh and here are the records and I will print them out for you while you chat with them.........wow what unexpected service! Got the full run down on the van which helped going through things of course.

Anyways....

Finished insulating, ⅜" ply sides and top. $150
Home depot grey outdoor carpet. $40
PVC sheeting for roof and trim. $100
Floor rubber interlock mat 18" X18" Costco (GREAT) $60 easy to install, cleans great and comfly and insulated.
Seat mount for passenger seat "captains chair" turns 360. I leave it facing back. $225 (Dog likes to stand)
Receivers front and rear, front welded in. $350 with labor to weld (I prepped it all)
Warn 8274 winch $100 craigslist (one of the best winches they made) Mount pieces, custom fabbed on 2" solid stock $200. The winch fits on the rear reciever also. I wired in a plug like the front for jumping cars and the winch. Contoller reaches drivers seat.
RotoPak was $400, 2 diesel on drivers side and have 2 gas (geno and M/C) but carry one mostly.
Light bar and chase lights $150 Amazon, nothing special but really bright.
6 switch station $30. Light bar, chase light etc.
Cobra CB was free, has PA speaker under hood.
MaxTrax were $329 here in town. Nice people.
TV and DVD player were $25 at garage sale, Apple TV fits with them for Internet stuff.
Misc wire 2g. for house battery and switches and rear plug $75
Inverter and solar contoller were stuff I had.
2 house batteries I had (located front and rear of passenger rear wheel in white box.
Honda EU2000 generator $700 from craigslist, it was like new.
8 ton bottle jack $5 garage sale, also have a 2 1/2 ton small floor jack I carry.
2 RV Interstate batteries $200 (for engine)

The 1971 Honda SL 70 sat in my uncles barn for over 40 years covered in owl poop, got it Dec, 2019 and restored it. (I was a Honda mechanic for years) $500. Use this for mellow camping and events.
Also carry my 1993 Honda XR250 for longer range and remote traveling.
Metal detector and shovels I did not include.

2 house batteries can switch to the 2 engine batteries at the drivers seat switch. Has a high idle switch also for jumping and winching.

I put the prices in there because people always ask the cost of getting something started. Without the M/C and generator I doubt I have $5000 into this entire rig. Being a electrician and builder I have the skills to do it myself which saves a lot of course.

This being 2WD it will get you ALOT of places using good judgement and planning, I have been on the Mogollon Rim in the middle of a nasty hail and lightning storm very comfy watching John Wayne with my brothers, they have expensive rigs but wanted to hang out in mine....Thought I would share.IMG_8689.JPG

IMG_8692.JPG
IMG_8667.JPG IMG_8669.JPG IMG_8671.JPG IMG_8678.JPG IMG_8673.JPG