Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Overlanding-Essentials-Jeepsies.png

This post is specifically for those new to the overlanding lifestyle. There are a lot of new members here in the forums and OB is growing fast!

Welcome to all of the new Overland Bound members!

I recently wrote an article about what you really "need" to go overlanding. It is one of the questions we're asked the most at the various events that we speak or present at. For those who don't know us, we're a family of 3 currently on our 6th year of fulltime travel.

You can read my article here if you are interested: Ignore the Hype: What Do You Really Need to Go Overlanding.

The TL;DR version is this: Not much, but have the essentials covered.

Get out and explore. Make a list of what you took, after your trip make a list of what you used, what you didn't use, what you wished you had, and revamp your list each time you go out.

We love the lifestyle, and gear is cool, but very little of it is necessary to get started. The key is to get started, and find your community.

Eric aka Jeepsies #OB14045

S

SubeeBen

Great article thanks for the info & taking the time. Good luck & may God bless your adventures.

Reactions: Hourless Life

Codebeagle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Elsinore, Utah, United States
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

Get out and explore. Make a list of what you took, after your trip make a list of what you used, what you didn't use, what you wished you had, and revamp your list each time you go out.
This is excellent advice.

A mixing bowl. That’s what I wished I had on my last trip and what I added when I got home.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
As an afterthought to my previous comment, I do like to buy what I THINK I need with the hope that the list I come back with is shorter and I do the reverse and start removing items from my list. I like to have a lot of different gadgets with the assumption that no two trips are alike.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I found, if it goes out with my on three trips and I don't use it, it stays home. The only exception to that is tools. If they never get used I'm happy.
I have so much crap in my garage right now that I really thought I needed. I do bring a few luxuries and the "unneeded" gear makes room for them.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

This is excellent advice.

A mixing bowl. That’s what I wished I had on my last trip and what I added when I got home.
Can't recommend Sea to Summit Gear highly enough when it comes to bowls and such. Just a thought. They compress really well, are super lightweight and durable. But expensive. Don't need to have it, but it's nice to have, and no I'm not sponsored by them haha.

Reactions: Codebeagle

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

As an afterthought to my previous comment, I do like to buy what I THINK I need with the hope that the list I come back with is shorter and I do the reverse and start removing items from my list. I like to have a lot of different gadgets with the assumption that no two trips are alike.
This is so true. Depending on climate, terrain, and even country visited each list can change significantly. Good points.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
This is so true. Depending on climate, terrain, and even country visited each list can change significantly. Good points.
Exactly so if you're a weekend warrior, it's always good to know where you are going so you can plan and bring what you need. If Overlanding for weeks or months, then that's probably a different story...

Reactions: Ghost

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

View attachment 110599

This post is specifically for those new to the overlanding lifestyle. There are a lot of new members here in the forums and OB is growing fast!

Welcome to all of the new Overland Bound members!

I recently wrote an article about what you really "need" to go overlanding. It is one of the questions we're asked the most at the various events that we speak or present at. For those who don't know us, we're a family of 3 currently on our 6th year of fulltime travel.

You can read my article here if you are interested: Ignore the Hype: What Do You Really Need to Go Overlanding.

The TL;DR version is this: Not much, but have the essentials covered.

We love the lifestyle, and gear is cool, but very little of it is necessary to get started. The key is to get started, and find your community.

Eric aka Jeepsies #OB14045
Great article. While new to the term of Overlanding the lifestyle is not foreign to me. I have always been somewhat of a minimalist and put things in the order of basic tools & equipment needed to complete the task safely. Comfort items have always been more of a luxury. Note: I can sleep anywhere.

Then I got older, got married and had kids which if they are along for the ride makes for an entirely different load-out.

As for what I found on my last trip that i could have used. A pocket sized first aid kit when i was away from my vehicle. Not the Trauma bag in my truck, or the first-aid kit in my pack, (both back at my truck) but enough medical on my person to stop bleeding and immobilize a flopping toenail and chuck of meat my 11 year old daughter tore off while playing. She was a trooper but her 15 minute limp back to the truck had me kicking myself. Since then I started packing a small kit in my pocket or sling my pack even for the shortest of walks outside camp.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Great write up Eric! I'm not new to camping but fairly new to the term Overlanding and have learned a lot since joining this forum. I did add a few things to my Camping List based on your list that has now had a name change to Overland Camping List, thanks!

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Great article. While new to the term of Overlanding the lifestyle is not foreign to me. I have always been somewhat of a minimalist and put things in the order of basic tools & equipment needed to complete the task safely. Comfort items have always been more of a luxury. Note: I can sleep anywhere.

Then I got older, got married and had kids which if they are along for the ride makes for an entirely different load-out.

As for what I found on my last trip that i could have used. A pocket sized first aid kit when i was away from my vehicle. Not the Trauma bag in my truck, or the first-aid kit in my pack, (both back at my truck) but enough medical on my person to stop bleeding and immobilize a flopping toenail and chuck of meat my 11 year old daughter tore off while playing. She was a trooper but her 15 minute limp back to the truck had me kicking myself. Since then I started packing a small kit in my pocket or sling my pack even for the shortest of walks outside camp.
That is great advice Ghost! We've had similar things happen on backpacking trips away from our rig with our 2 year old. We echo your advice for sure. Thanks for adding that. ~ Eric aka Jeepsies

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

That is great advice Ghost! We've had similar things happen on backpacking trips away from our rig with our 2 year old. We echo your advice for sure. Thanks for adding that. ~ Eric aka Jeepsies
Thank you Eric. The ironic part is I am usually Mr. emergency medical guy. Not that i really enjoy any part of it but lived in a busy fire station for a couple years as an FF/EMT and had been involved with EMS in some way or another for almost twenty years. So normally I have medical bags & first-aid kits everywhere and if wearing long pants have an IFAK on my right ankle. This was just a stroll around an alpine lake that turned into a mini emergency. Definitely not life or death but it’s your kid so if you can reduce the pain and potential infection as soon as possible all the better. I’ve since dug out a small aid kit to stuff in a pocket for just such an occasion and along with my wallet, keys, and other things make sure my ankle rig is in order.