For the big rigs: reviews of the various high-capacity winches?

• HTML tutorial

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

So, I’m probably going to need a 15k/16.5k-rated winch for the Excursion. Warn is the obvious choice, but the roughly $2k price tag is tough to swallow. Does anyone have experience with Smittybuilt or other similar options that might be a bit lore budget-friendly?

Thanks.

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I'm sorry to respond here without an answer for you, but my question might lead to an option. I'm asking out of ignorance for my own education also.

Is it acceptable practice to spool a bit longer cable (or use an extension) and rely on a snatch block when you need to do more than a simple recovery? That's makes a 12,000 lb winch effectively a 20k+ capacity, right?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

So, I’m probably going to need a 15k/16.5k-rated winch for the Excursion. Warn is the obvious choice, but the roughly $2k price tag is tough to swallow. Does anyone have experience with Smittybuilt or other similar options that might be a bit lore budget-friendly?

Thanks.

I have a Warn 16.5ti I'm thinking about selling, as I've never mounted it or used it, and don't think the guy I bought it from did, either. I have both the steel cable and a synthetic cable for it. If you're interested, DM me or get ahold of me through my site. I could possibly deliver it on my way south from Maine next month.

Last edited:

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

I'm sorry to respond here without an answer for you, but my question might lead to an option. I'm asking out of ignorance for my own education also.

Is it acceptable practice to spool a bit longer cable (or use an extension) and rely on a snatch block when you need to do more than a simple recovery? That's makes a 12,000 lb winch effectively a 20k+ capacity, right?
Thanks for the reply...you CAN rely on a snatch block, so long as you can manage it in whatever situation you’re in. I’m by no means a winching and recovery expert, but given that my truck is at/over 9,000 pounds fully loaded, I’m not sure I want that that small a margin!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Thanks for the reply...you CAN rely on a snatch block, so long as you can manage it in whatever situation you’re in. I’m by no means a winching and recovery expert, but given that my truck is at/over 9,000 pounds fully loaded, I’m not sure I want that that small a margin!
Use higher rated line and a good snatch block and you can get away with it. On my 12k off brand winch that has never failed even though it has no fancy brand name, i use 22000 lb synthetic rope so that the winch is the weakest point and if it fails it will be because it stalled out on me.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Warns XD9000 is by far the most popular winch on telecom and gas line service trucks.

Are you wheeling or overlanding? Choose the appropriate winch. You don't need 15 000 # 's if you're only stuck 2"deep in slick clay muddy grass. I've never applied that kind of force to a truck when winching with my Hilift, ever.