Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Frank
Member #

What do you all do for food one a day trip? I've been eating bags of beef jerky, but looking for other ideas, I just have a cooler with ice available

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Rob Frank
What do you all do for food one a day trip? I've been eating bags of beef jerky, but looking for other ideas, I just have a cooler with ice available
Depends on where I'm going. I'll usually make or pick up some burritos, wrap them in foil and freeze them. put them in a ziploc and into the cooler. they reheat on the Propane BBQ or in the coals if we have a camp fire. If hiking much I'll carry some Lara bars (Now switching to DIY see https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/any-vegan-overlanders-out-there.5067/page-4 ) or Kind bars. I tend to keep the cooler full of Water for day trips or Angry Orchard for trips where I'll have some down time. :)

Boort

shadow

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

cant go wrong with rice and jerky.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk
Hey Rob, although I live out of my Jeep Wrangler "Jade" full time - I have and use an RTIC 20 qt cooler - http://amzn.to/2s92zC8 which keeps food cold a good 3-5 days before needing more ice. Some people may think my snacking foods are a funny combination, but actually there quite good. While i'm driving, hiking, offroading etc., I like bananas with peanut butter, salami and grapes, salami and pickles, apples and oranges. When I cook, salmon and veggies are easy to make or I like bacon, eggs and potatoes - can't go wrong with breakfast for dinner, or frying up a steak is always good.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

I always pick up a few sandwiches from jersey mikes. I buy the largest one and have them cut it in 3rds. I get no mayo or tomatoes and have them individually wrap them. they work great for quick lunches when there is no time to cook (or desire to cook).
Good idea Raul, have never done that. I'll jot it down on a stick note - thanks!

Reactions: Moriarty

Notedhillbilly

Rank III

Advocate II

Corn chips and salsa is what keeps me alive. I've not had a jar of salsa go bad yet, but then they don't last long with me. I also spoon down peanut butter. Almonds are also great to keep on hand. No bannanas for me. I became allergic to many fruits in college probably connected to autoimmune issues I have. Rice cakes though work well with peanut butter, and some honey is great to keep around. Finally, granola is also a favorite of mine to keep on hand.

Turbo Diesel YJ

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/8019/

Paw

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redwood City
Member #

Make a Burrito wrap in foil and slide it into a preheated thermos (preheat with hot water and empty water first) Thermos will, 1) keep it hot for hours 2) protect it from becoming big mess.

Reactions: Webb and Moriarty

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
If it's just a day trip, I'll grab a subway sandwich with no mayo and some fruit and bars. (clif, Lara, Kind, whatever)
If I'm just doing a quick overnighter, I'll bring more snacks like chips, trailmix, etc and I have a small weber grill grate I put over the campfire. Usually a steak to throw on the grill along with a pre-baked potato wrapped in foil. I just toss it in the fire to warm it up.
and an ice chest full of water and beer

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
One day trip with cooler available. If it's an overnite first in cooler is beer. Lunch should be quick and simple, cold chicken, prepared sub sandwich. Left over pizza, almost any leftover that can be eaten cold out of a ziplock or those plastic containers with snap on lids. I rarely cook supper on a first or one nite preferring to relax and chill. I like left over pork chops w/ chips, pickles.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
My kids and I love Grocery Store Fried Chicken meals! We get the 8 or 12 piece (dark preferred) and eat it cold on the trail along with the potato salad, and other snacks! Has never been a bad meal, easy, no heating and filling! And darn if it doesn't taste better in the mountains with dirty hands!

Reactions: buckwilk

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

For short trips, and even longer ones I like to bring leftovers I have sealed up with the food saver and frozen. I throw the packs in a pot of boiling water for quick meals. I try to make individual sized packs to easily adjust for the amount of people and meals needed. I usually do things that require no dishwashing like pulled pork or grilled steaks for sandwiches, spaghetti to eat right out of the bag or bacon eggs and potatoes all in one pack to throw in a tortilla for easy breakfast burritos. I even did leftover thanksgiving dinner in individual packs. This is cheap, easy and tasty when breaking out the kitchen isn't in the plan. I have a bin in my freezer reserved for my food saved meals so I always have something to take, especially on spur of the moment trips.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

For short trips, and even longer ones I like to bring leftovers I have sealed up with the food saver and frozen. I throw the packs in a pot of boiling water for quick meals. I try to make individual sized packs to easily adjust for the amount of people and meals needed. I usually do things that require no dishwashing like pulled pork or grilled steaks for sandwiches, spaghetti to eat right out of the bag or bacon eggs and potatoes all in one pack to throw in a tortilla for easy breakfast burritos. I even did leftover thanksgiving dinner in individual packs. This is cheap, easy and tasty when breaking out the kitchen isn't in the plan. I have a bin in my freezer reserved for my food saved meals so I always have something to take, especially on spur of the moment trips.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Food Saver bags are great! They pretty much allow you to bring anything you want, then only require some hot water to heat.

For day trips, the food I have usually revolve around the Jetboil. So it's a Mountain House meal or, in a pinch, a cup-o-noodle. I rarely cook when out for just the day. Other than that, a cold-cut sandwich, a bag of chips, and a cold drink will do me.