Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

While I agree there could be an issue with some RHD vehicles... I would never try to solely rely on hand signals. The more communication the better... As long as it is only between a single spotter and the driver.
It is absolutely the spotters responsibility to realize when they are spotting with a vehicle that is LHD or RHD and then they should adjust their language accordingly. If the Driver is on the opposite side that you are accustomed to, then as a spotter, you will need to adjust how you speak with them.
I am by no means saying you shouldn't use hand signals... You should always use both in my opinion!

In every case. The drivers, those who will be spotters, and those who will be spectators on a trip. Should always sit down and talk about exactly what language they are using. What role everyone is playing, what signals, what language, and what you feel are best practices. Safety is always the most important thing on the trail! And everyone being on the same page helps to keep safety in everyone's thoughts!
For multi day trips, this should be a daily occurrence.

Last edited:

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Like recoveries, spotting is done on a case by case basis. In my experience though, the less talking the better. I've had multiple people yelling what they think the driver should do all at the same time. The driver doesn't know who to listen to if everyone voices their opinion. That's probably the most common thing I run into, too many chefs in the kitchen. It's happened within the same group or others out on the trail. I've been less than 10' away from a truck with a diesel engine and the driver couldn't hear me. Running winches can make it hard for the driver to hear as well. If there are small kids in the vehicle, the parents may not want to roll down the window if it's too hot or too cold outside. And, people react faster to visual cues and audible ones. There's less processing time in the brain.

Again, these are just my experiences that have lead me make the decisions on how I like to spot vehicles.

Curtis2010

Rank III

Advocate II

Panamá
For the most part I don't talk unless it's a one on one with the driver. Hand signals should be all that's needed after you go over the line with the driver.
[emoji106]Noticed that in your video. Good practice I think as shouting just raises everyone's stress level and is often hard to understand.

Im new to Overlanding, but have decades of experience as a boat captain. Im finding that a surprising amount of this experience transfers. Relying on hand singals, versus yelling, is one such area.

Whether spotting ashore or afloat its often hard to understand what someone is yelling at you from afar over lots of ambient noise. Pre-aranged, clearly executed, hand signals are much more effective. If you need to communicate verbally, then stop, walk back to driver and talk.

One exception might be a hands free head set (that or a handheld is essential on larger boats), but then you are relying upon a piece of electronics that will predictably fail when needed most.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
One thing I do is carry an extra hand-held CB. That way I can hand it to my spotter (or use it to spot) and communicate directly with the driver. And never EVER follow an instruction unless you are confident you understand. Never fear asking for a repeat, or further clarity if you're the driver and are unsure!

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

@4xFar Adventures This should be a standard among spotters! I know I'm a good spotter just due to years of experience and consistent use of helping others/my fam on a lot of different terrain but the usage of signals you have shown are pretty good, I like it and will take some of it on board (I say some just because a good portion of them I already use myself probably just because of common sense or whatnot) Once again thanks for the tips and advice! Great stuff

carguyinok

Rank 0

Contributor I

N.E Oklahoma
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Shlosser
To be a good spotter you've gotta be a good driver. Otherwise things get messy real fast. After all If done correctly the spotter is really who's driving. One of the mistakes that I see people doing all the time is putting themselves in harms way. As a spotter you need to be aware of not only what you want the vehicle to do. But where it's going to end up if things go sideways & gravity takes over. If I'm spotting in an area with a bunch of people I see it as my responsibility to stop and ask anyone in harms way to move. Also, hand held radios are worth their weight in gold when it comes to spotting.

JDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Porto, Portugal
First Name
JDavid
Last Name
Silva
Member #

Hello Brenton! @4xFar Adventures

Thanks for this writeup + playlist. Great stuff!!!
Personally being unfamiliar with some of them, for clarity, it could be useful to see video(s) where all the signals listed are demonstrated facing the camera and the used in real time/trail use context.

PS Here trying to reduce my ignorance after a LR Rally (as a (roadbook) navigator/spotter/trail builder) with plenty of hazards.
Plus some of the spotting issues fellow inmates pointed out. Topped off by a more-than-fair-share of alarming conduct on trail.

Last edited: