Folding Panel, Mohoo vs. AcoPower - any experiences?

• HTML tutorial

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I own the ACO 105W unit. It's a decent package and there are bypass diodes so that if part of the panel is shaded it doesn't drop power output to zero like panels with the diodes do. I use it to charge the battery on my trailer which runs LED lighting, a roof vent fan and a fridge. As long as there is a good amount of sun it does okay. We had a run of 5 overcast, rainy days in a row where I did have charge the trailer battery from my truck on day 4. Not sure if a larger panel would have helped there or not.

-Curtiss

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I do not use any of those products. My trailer is all solar that's what I wanted when I was building it. I wanted no shore line power what's so ever. I use Renogy Solar System & been quite happy their products. I use their folding portables solar suit case panels: two 100 watt (comes with hard cases), with 30amp Renogy Charge Controller. The battery is a VMax Tank battery 125 amp hr w\10 to 12 year life. I supply power to 22qt. 12v. Engel fridg\freez, LED RTT light strip, 2 LED filtered green lights on the tent rack, charge cell phone & now the Endless Breeze Fan. The 200watts gives me plenty of charging power for the VMax Tank. Now their is times were we do not use the Engel 12v fridg\freez or the Endless Breeze Fan, during fall or early spring camping. I will only need one 100watt panel & I'll use my 70qt K2 roto-molding cooler instead of my Engel fridge freez.

One thing to remember is power consumption of the 12v gear being used. Every deep cell battery will listed amp hours on your battery. For me I wouldn't run my battery below 50% of its capacity. Anything below that causes damage & shortens the life span of the battery. For me @ $429.00 for the VMax Tank is like thrown money out the window taking it's capacity below 50%. Like I mention I have 125ah VMax Tank, divide that by 1\2 & my useable ah (amp hours) is 62.5 amp hours. The 12v. gear you run or choose to use, the more you use the more it requires power, the more it will run your battery down faster. Everything I bought for 12v. gear\equipment, I look for the lowest power consumption use, like my Engel 22qt 12v. fridg\freez uses .07 to 2.4 amps. This fridge\freez is only on demand power & I use it for fridg mode so it pulls low amps, my H2000 Proplex Tent Furnace uses 1.6 amps, it's a on demand heat source that is thermostatic & propane powered for winter camping only during sleeping hours. Cell phones, charging flip type phones (which we both own) .0.5 to 1 amp, smart type cell phones will pull 1 amp or more. The Endless Breeze Fan uses 1.2 amps to 2.6 amps on what chosen speed used while sleeping, that is running on low for us. My tent rack filtered LED lights hardly pull anything because their only used for late night bathroom runs, as well as my LED RTT light strip only when were getting ready for bed.
The photo is a early spring camping so were only using 1 100watt panel.

Lastly the average good quality 100watt\30 amp solar system will give you 6 amps an hour or 30 amps a day. It all comes down to the more efficient low draw power saving consumption gear & equipment you purchase, the better off your battery is & you are.
031.JPG 037.JPG 007.JPG

Last edited:

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I have the Acopower 120w 12V as I got a deal on it and I like it. I had the Renogy and it was way to big. I keep the Acopower stays in my JB tent. I have no experience with the other so can't speak to that.