Duncan, Spartanburg County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Hastings
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Greetings all, my name is Thomas Hastings, my wife is Kat. I was born and raised in Ohio, graduated high school in 1998, joined the Army in 1999, retired in 2020, reside in Lake Wylie, SC now with my wife, and that's my "job" now, being retired lol. My wife still serves in the SCANG and works for DPR Construction for her civilian job.

Retired life has been an interesting journey for me, but the one thing that has always been a constant is I love traveling. We were going to go the route of camping with a RTT and all the associated equipment that goes with that, but instead decided to go with an off road camper instead.

We recently traded in my 2019 F150 for a 2018 Ford Raptor. I've ordered a Decked drawer system and an RSI Smart Cap Adventure. I've also already place an order for a set of custom leaf springs from Alcan Spring for obvious reasons. I carried over my Krazy House Customs differential skid plate and hard folding bed cover which I'll sell once I get the cap. I've added an oil catch can and will be installing an upgraded differential cover to the rear and possibly the front. In the future I'd like to add a front bumper with a winch without having to change out the intercooler and I believe I can do that with Warn but I haven't looked to much into yet. This will probably be the extent of the modifications I do to the truck.

Our current camper is a 2022 Xplore X22 by Imperial Outdoors. We're looking into upgrading to a Roamer 1, also made by Imperial Outdoors but only available at ROA. Our most recent trip was to Ouray, CO for Christmas vacation. It was a great trip and we were able to test out the camper's cold weather capability. We experienced below freezing temps the majority of the time all the way down to around -20 and everything worked fine, including the water, and we stayed plenty warm.

I was finally able to get out west last year, NM, AZ, UT, CO and I loved it. That's my one regret during my military career, not PCSing more. This year is starting out a little slow, but I'm hoping to get out some more for longer. I was able to attend Expo East last year and that was a lot of fun and hope to get back out to that one again at least this year.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bill W

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Waterhouse
Member #

Greetings all, my name is Thomas Hastings, my wife is Kat. I was born and raised in Ohio, graduated high school in 1998, joined the Army in 1999, retired in 2020, reside in Lake Wylie, SC now with my wife, and that's my "job" now, being retired lol. My wife still serves in the SCANG and works for DPR Construction for her civilian job.

Retired life has been an interesting journey for me, but the one thing that has always been a constant is I love traveling. We were going to go the route of camping with a RTT and all the associated equipment that goes with that, but instead decided to go with an off road camper instead.

We recently traded in my 2019 F150 for a 2018 Ford Raptor. I've ordered a Decked drawer system and an RSI Smart Cap Adventure. I've also already place an order for a set of custom leaf springs from Alcan Spring for obvious reasons. I carried over my Krazy House Customs differential skid plate and hard folding bed cover which I'll sell once I get the cap. I've added an oil catch can and will be installing an upgraded differential cover to the rear and possibly the front. In the future I'd like to add a front bumper with a winch without having to change out the intercooler and I believe I can do that with Warn but I haven't looked to much into yet. This will probably be the extent of the modifications I do to the truck.

Our current camper is a 2022 Xplore X22 by Imperial Outdoors. We're looking into upgrading to a Roamer 1, also made by Imperial Outdoors but only available at ROA. Our most recent trip was to Ouray, CO for Christmas vacation. It was a great trip and we were able to test out the camper's cold weather capability. We experienced below freezing temps the majority of the time all the way down to around -20 and everything worked fine, including the water, and we stayed plenty warm.

I was finally able to get out west last year, NM, AZ, UT, CO and I loved it. That's my one regret during my military career, not PCSing more. This year is starting out a little slow, but I'm hoping to get out some more for longer. I was able to attend Expo East last year and that was a lot of fun and hope to get back out to that one again at least this year.
Nice rig sir.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Thomas Hastings Looks like a great setup for heavy camping! Have you considered buying some dirt bikes or some thing to scout around, or do you prefer other activities when traveling?

Seems like you could lug them in your truck bed without using up all of your cargo space.

Reactions: Thomas Hastings

Thomas Hastings

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Hastings
Member #

Service Branch
Army
@Thomas Hastings Looks like a great setup for heavy camping! Have you considered buying some dirt bikes or some thing to scout around, or do you prefer other activities when traveling?

Seems like you could lug them in your truck bed without using up all of your cargo space.
Thank you. No, as much as I’d love to be able to ride dirt bikes and four wheelers, let’s just say my back ain’t as good as it once was lol. I may possibly try those electric bikes someday but I’m not sure I could tolerate those either. Besides that, I wouldn’t have room for them (the electric bikes maybe), I recently installed a Decked drawer system and I’m waiting on my RSI Smart Cap to arrive as well.

I like to go on walks/hikes as much as I can tolerate it and my wife and I have talked about getting some small kayaks someday we could tote on the smart cap.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
welcome to the group, thomas

yeah, i love out west and we try to get out that way at least every other year. pretty long haul from where i am and about double the distance for you.
have you tried out north georgia? we started going a few years ago and really like it. the wife loves waterfall hikes and the area around vogel state park is full of them. we usually go in the off season and basecamp at vogel and then branch off to other places. thats less than a 4 hour drive for yall.

anything good in south carolina? i was on subs in the 80s and we'd pull into the subase there at charleston sometimes and i always thought it was a cool area. didnt get out past the city much, but looked like there could be some good camping

Thomas Hastings

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Hastings
Member #

Service Branch
Army
welcome to the group, thomas

yeah, i love out west and we try to get out that way at least every other year. pretty long haul from where i am and about double the distance for you.
have you tried out north georgia? we started going a few years ago and really like it. the wife loves waterfall hikes and the area around vogel state park is full of them. we usually go in the off season and basecamp at vogel and then branch off to other places. thats less than a 4 hour drive for yall.

anything good in south carolina? i was on subs in the 80s and we'd pull into the subase there at charleston sometimes and i always thought it was a cool area. didnt get out past the city much, but looked like there could be some good camping
While we did a decent amount of camping last year, it was mostly spent in campgrounds. My plan is to try and do more dispersed camping around where we live this year, NC, SC, GA, so unfortunately I can't offer any suggestions at this time.

There's the infamous Old 105 in NC (Linville Gorge off the Blue Ridge Highway), it's been the bane of many jokes. It has some really nice views, some nice hikes, and there are some dispersed camping sights on it as well, I spent the night on it and will go back and do it again. It's a FS road now and easy to traverse, I've seen a prius on it. It is steep in some points (I think I saw 12-13 degrees on my off road screen) and can get tore up a little from people when it's wet, but it's otherwise not challenging. There is hike to a waterfall at the northern end.

I've spent one night in Sarah's Creek Campground in NE Georgia, near Clayton. All the sites are primitive I believe. I got a nice spot along the creek. I only spent a night there and want to go back. If I remember correctly it's $10 a night or $5 if you have a National Parks Pass.

Not far from that is the Long Bottom Ford Campground, it runs right along the Chattooga (not Chattanooga) River.

In SC, there is Horse Pasture Road. There is some camping on it. It has the Jumping Off Rock Overlook, overlooking Lake Jocassee, very nice. I didn't when I went on it, but you can continue past that and go down to the water and while there isn't any designated camping down there, there is room to setup camp according to a good buddy of mine.

I have The Dyrt app and a couple others, but there is some dispersed camping near the coast, but it's been a while since I've looked.

Reactions: grubworm

Staticline40

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tebo
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Retired

I'm late to the party

Welcome from Fort MIll