Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
I learned how to fly fish growing up in Utah. While I usually fished the lakes and reservoirs for Rainbow I did spend considerable time letting stream fish like German browns, etc., frustrate and out fox me. Nevertheless, I did eat a number of Browns. Home waters are now the Florida Panhandle on the Gulf of Mexico where the fishing is pretty good most of the time, but lacks campfire cooking of that day's catch. Favorite fly is the one that works... :yum:

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

I didn't think there was much interest here in fly fishing before but after seeing a few other's posts in various threads it appears I'm not the only one here hooked on it. (Pun very much intended)
So, Fly Fishermen and Women, show yourselves! Where is your home water, what's your favorite catch, what's your favorite fly?

I'll start.
I'm Chris
My true home water is in New Hampshire but my new home water is now Central Texas.
I've always loved Rainbow Trout but I am finding myself targeting Redfish a lot down here.
My favorite fly is an olive damsel concoction I've been working on. Its pretty productive on rivers and creeks here in the hill country.

Is Fly fishing hard? I have never tried it but I would love too! It seems like an enjoyable way to fish! Would love to hear some info and how to get started!

Reactions: MA_Trooper

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Is Fly fishing hard? I have never tried it but I would love too! It seems like an enjoyable way to fish! Would love to hear some info and how to get started!
It's not too hard. It requires a lot of patience. My suggestion for newcomers is to go to the local flyshop and ask if they do learning days. Most shops do. They will teach you basic casting, usually on their equipment so you can try it out before you sink a bunch of money into it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app

NV.Recon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Reno, Nevada
Member #

It's not too hard. It requires a lot of patience. My suggestion for newcomers is to go to the local flyshop and ask if they do learning days. Most shops do. They will teach you basic casting, usually on their equipment so you can try it out before you sink a bunch of money into it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app
This is a very good idea, flyfishing can become quite expensive if you dive in head first. That being said, you can catch fish and have a good time with minimal gear (Rod/reel, flies and tippet or leaders). I love that it is an art form, there are so many small techniques and methods that will improve your skills and style. You are always doing something, which is a bit different from spin fishing. It can seem overwhelming at first but with practice you will be doing certain things without thinking about it and can focus on more advanced techniques. YouTube is your friend!!!! I have learned so much just from watching videos. Also, as cjones mentioned, local fly shops are usually a wealth of knowledge and experience. If you have any specific questions or would like to know more, feel free to message me and I would be more than happy to help you out. I love to teach and share my knowledge with others. Hope this is helpful, have fun and tight lines!

OB 3319

ClearwaterScott

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia, Missouri
Member #

@SeguineJ First I agree with others, find local fly shop and BUY from them. It will make alot more sense down the road. That being said, Orvis has done a really nice job with their videos http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons. But my saying is friends don't let friends buy Orvis.

Also, a day of FlyFishing school and/or a day spent with a good guide on the front end wil save hours and hours of pure frustration.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Some great advice given here! @ClearwaterScott @FlyJeep @FlyRENO @cjones have hit the nail on the head. Find a local club or fly shop and take a class. Many shops have free intros, like the Orvis 101 or a something similar that will give you a basic understanding of the sport. Don't rush into buying anything until you understand the basics and have test driven a few rods in a casting class. Your rod and line choice is the most critical and can be the most expensive part of gearing up, but there are good rods at all price points. You don't need a $1000 rod to have fun. Hit those local shops and ask questions! The perfect outfit for where you are is different from the perfect outfit for where I fish. Figure out where you'll be doing most of your angling and outfit accordingly.

Good fly lines are now $70-$80 and are as important as the rod. Fly line design and technology is probably the fastest changing part of our sport. With the tapers available today it is fairly easy to match up a line to the rod, for the type of fishing you'll be doing and your experience level or casting style. Again, ask questions, but articulate to those fly shop guys how you see yourself using the gear. Make sure they are asking you questions too.

Having been in the industry for 19 years now and a fly angler for 53 I would offer this... Buy domestic when possible, but keep an eye on your budget. I see a lot of folks start with a high end US made rod and lose interest after a few months. Then there's those that buy a less expensive offshore rod, only to be back in a month or two looking to upgrade. Do your research and find that perfect outfit for you.

When it comes to all the other goodies we fly anglers collect, like reels, waders, boots, vests, glasses, tools, etc., just remember this. If you have to worry about your gear, you've got the wrong gear. Warranties are great on a lot of the stuff we use, but warranties don't work when your off in the boonies for a week. Buy the best your budget allows and take care of it. Your gear is just like the tools for your rig and I hate working with cheap tools.

The most important thing? Just have fun. While fly fishing may seem complicated, it really isn't. In fact, it's quite simple when you break it down to the basics. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. The more you get into it, the more you'll get out of it. It's a sport that will grow with you and eventually it becomes a way of life, kind of like Overlanding. I've been very blessed to have it open doors and take me around the world to see some of the cool places fish swim. I've met interesting people and accumulated memories that will last a lifetime, and it all started with a wild trout in a cool Oregon river. Enjoy the journey!

Travel safe!

Metolius-5751.jpg

Reactions: NV.Recon

NV.Recon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Reno, Nevada
Member #

Oh and also do a little research on rod warranties, most of the bigger names will offer a lifetime warranty. If you close your fly rod in the door of your truck, it's nice knowing you can just send it in for a small fee and they will send a new rod or rod section!

OB 3319

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

My true home water is in New Hampshire but my new home water is now Central Texas.
Hey Chris, I'm guessing you've spent some time on the upper Connecticut River around Pittsburg, NH. I got to poke around that part of the country while out there on business and a few vacations. I think I tracked down every fly shop in the state on one trip. I love the NE.... So, how'd you end up in Texas?

Last edited:

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Hey Chris, I'm guessing you've spent some time on the upper Connecticut River around Pittsburg, NH. I got to poke around that part of the country while out there on business and a few vacations. I think I tracked down every fly shop in the state on one trip. I love the NE.... So, how'd you end up in Texas?
Haha. Nice. My sister has a cabin in Pittsburgh she rents out, so yeah, I've seen some water in that area. I came down here for work about 7 years ago. I work remotely now so heading back up to NE this summer for keeps. I love fishing NE, can't wait to be back.

Reactions: NWNavigator

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Haha. Nice. My sister has a cabin in Pittsburgh she rents out, so yeah, I've seen some water in that area. I came down here for work about 7 years ago. I work remotely now so heading back up to NE this summer for keeps. I love fishing NE, can't wait to be back.
Understand that completely! Texas would be hard for me to handle for more than a week. NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH TEXAS!!!! ( wanted to cover myself there ) I need mountains and forests... Anyway, we would stay on Back Lake at Tall Timber Lodge each year after my wife finished her gig as PPG Pace Car driver at the Loudon CART/Indycar race. I got to chase stripers on the coast while she was working, then we'd head north after the race for a week or so. I also spent time training cops at the Concord Police Academy and would haunt the fly shops after the training day was done. Whatever happened to Hunters in New Boston or American Angling in Salem? Seemed to just vanish. Beautiful part of the country up there, I would love to see it again myself....

Reactions: MA_Trooper

Chaoswest

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I grew up fishing the Platte. Though mostly in the 11 mile canyon but haven't actually been up Cheeseman. We will be in the area this summer. @Chaoswest we can hook up to wet some line.
Please let me know when you here. I'de love to fish with you! Just sold the company I was with and I have spent a lot of time recently on the water. Little midges right now 24 -26 and so small, it is tough fishing. This summer should be better

Reactions: ClearwaterScott

Chaoswest

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I've been making it a goal to take new people fishing whenever they want. I feel like it is something I can do to pay back all the people who helped me with my truck and were patient with me on the trail. So, I would say going with someone who can help you is big. The next thing, more expensive for sure is to hire a guide. A real one, not a buddy like me who knows enough to be dangerous. These folks really know what they are doing. I was on the river on Thursday and a really famous guide parked next to me on the South Platte. Pat Dorsey has written books on the South Platte and he was so helpful as to why I wasn't catching anything.

I hired a guide the first few times out and it shortened the learning curve quite a bit. I also favor local shops. They are only slightly more than the big box stores like Cabelas etc but "most" are willing to be super helpful. Sometimes you get real snobby jerks at some shops so just leave them. Most of the time, the cool shops will are that way because they want people to shop from them.

So, anyone coming to CO and want to fish, I'm in...

ClearwaterScott

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia, Missouri
Member #

@Chaoswest that is a great invitation. I enjoy helping other folks learn to fish nearly as much as fishing myself. Well, I like fishing more. But that is really a great offer from you.

Last summer the family camped in 11 mile canyon. Took kids to river in the catch and keep section. Was awesome, the 6 and 8 year old plus a friend they made all caught fish 30 feet from where they were swimming. It certainly didn't hurt they had stocked the area the day before

Ill holler at you when I'm back in state. The goal is to increase my days this year on the water. Same for days camping and exploring back country.

Reactions: NV.Recon