Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Vernon
Member #

Had a terrific fall visit with two of my best buds in Boone, NC fly and light tackle fishing for Rainbows,Browns and Smallmouth.

Attachments

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

My first experience Fly Fishing was when I went to Utah last September.

My first catch was not big, but it was my first ever stream/river trout. I caught 7 that day. I'm now hooked. animated-smileys-hands-fingers-02.gif

IMG_3106.JPG

Too bad we don't have fresh water stream/river trout fishing down here.

We do have salt-water trout(speckled trout/specs) in the marsh lands. Very fun to catch, as it's non-stop fishing when they're hitting.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

My first catch was not big, but it was my first ever stream/river trout. I caught 7 that day. I'm now hooked. View attachment 130242

View attachment 130241

We do have salt-water trout(speckled trout/specs) in the marsh lands. Very fun to catch, as it's non-stop fishing when they're hitting.
eagle_A40,
Like the Ross Evolution, fishing reel! Good looking fish Too! Keep your lines tight! Vance.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I used to live within 5 miles of 3 Gold Medal streams in CO and fly fished at least 5 times a week. Then I moved to AZ and it went to a week of fly fishing 3-4 times a year and if I was traveling I tried to fly fish along the way. Now that I'm mobility limited my fly fishing is down to 3-4 times a year. I wish I could go more but for right now that's it.

Tight lines...

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I used to live within 5 miles of 3 Gold Medal streams in CO and fly fished at least 5 times a week. Then I moved to AZ and it went to a week of fly fishing 3-4 times a year and if I was traveling I tried to fly fish along the way. Now that I'm mobility limited my fly fishing is down to 3-4 times a year. I wish I could go more but for right now that's it.

Tight lines...
Where in Colorado? I lived in Walden and the North Platte was on our ranch.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Tight lines...
I hear you my friend! I would catch 40-50+ Salmon on the fly a year, plus some Steelies, and trout in the many coastal streams and rivers. Then would catch 20+ Sturgeon on gear, all this fishing from off the banks. Then I got sick with GBS, and with the nerve damage, it is had to tie up even simple gear and rig my pole. I cannot feel the rod load when casting so my fly fishing is now more a lesson in frustration than fun. I miss the fishing a lot! Still have a hard time putting poles and gear up for sale! I keep telling myself someday!

That is one big reason I enjoy our Overland hobby! For me it still gets me out enjoying the great outdoors. Even when I was not catching fish just being out was what I loved. I enjoy still reading and hearing fishing stories and the like, from all of you! Vance.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Interesting that this discussion on fly fishing came up at this time. I've had a fly rod, reel and flies for a long time, and have even used it, but not for quite awhile I've been telling myself I need to get back on the water and start fly fishing again. I've never tied my own but would like to learn some day.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
I hear you my friend! I would catch 40-50+ Salmon on the fly a year, plus some Steelies, and trout in the many coastal streams and rivers. Then would catch 20+ Sturgeon on gear, all this fishing from off the banks. Then I got sick with GBS, and with the nerve damage, it is had to tie up even simple gear and rig my pole. I cannot feel the rod load when casting so my fly fishing is now more a lesson in frustration than fun. I miss the fishing a lot! Still have a hard time putting poles and gear up for sale! I keep telling myself someday!

That is one big reason I enjoy our Overland hobby! For me it still gets me out enjoying the great outdoors. Even when I was not catching fish just being out was what I loved. I enjoy still reading and hearing fishing stories and the like, from all of you! Vance.
Sorry to hear about your GBS and nerve damage that has kept you from fishing. I did like the tag line about a real Overlanding adventure...Jesus.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
One of the main reasons I got the van was to camp & fish where most folks won't/can't go. I do a little bit of everything as far as fishing goes; fresh water, salt water, conventional, fly, and most recently Tenkara. I retired a little over 2 years ago and thought I'd be fishing all the time, but somehow that hasn't quite worked out :disrelieved: Part of the problem is the closest "real" trout water is 5 1/2 hours away.

Since I've gotten into Tenkara, I've really gotten into trying to catch other species in addition to trout. I purchased a heavier duty 13 1/2' Tenkara rod that's used for carp and so far I've tried unsuccessfully for carp (soooo spooky.....), caught a 4lb large mouth bass and in the salt water I've caught a handful of spotted bay bass, some smaller cabrilla and my all time favorite so far; a few 2-3 lb trigger fish. Fighting & landing a trigger fish on a Tenkara rod is an absolute hoot!!! Think smallmouth bass on light tackle...

I'm also looking for some places I can ride my mountain bike to and fish with my Tenkara rod.

yak51

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
New here to Overland Bound, but not to fly fishing. I've been at that game for over half a century and now make my living helping folks learn more about the sport. Equipment is just stuff and is easily found, but knowledge comes with time, practice and the occasional help from someone with the experience you are working towards. Kind of like most things in life. What I love most about the sport is not the fish or the fishing, but the places fish are found. Water has always been a healing place for me when life gets out of hand. I find myself getting into Overlanding to find more of those beautiful places and perhaps a little peace.

Occasionally my guys in the shop and I head off to camp and fish with a few friends. If anyone here in the NW is interested in joining one of our non-guided get togethers let me know. Right now we're planning a Black Friday fish-in on the Deschutes River. I normally bring a hot lunch for all and folks add what they want. Kind of like Stone Soup. It was a bit chilly last year, but everyone had fun. We caught a few Steelhead and some nice Trout too!

I also work with two groups here in Oregon, Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery. Both use fly fishing as a means of healing. PHW gets our Vets on the water and CFR hosts breast cancer fighters. I'll be blasting down to southern Oregon tomorrow for the CFR retreat to help with their on-the-water session. It's great fun and very rewarding.

So on that note, I offer whatever help I can to all of you fly fishers and want-to-be fly fishers. I would just say, it's not about the fish. It's about having fun and enjoying the great outdoors. Travel Safe.

View attachment 7718

Blitzen River near Frenchglen, OR (we caught and released some nice fish!)
Liked this post very much, especially the information on the two groups you work with. I think that's great. Once I get busy and get my "fly" on maybe, if i'm ever in your area(not sure where that is) or you are in mine maybe we could get together so I could glean a bit of knowledge from you, and, maybe even wet a line.

mrseth

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

Sweet thread! Homewaters for me are central Texas, catching bass on a 6 weight is too much fun haha. I've lived in northern colorado for the past 5 years and fish mountain streams and ponds for natural browns, rainbows and brookies. Honestly tho, i've had more luck near dams with rooster tail lures (which I de barb of course) on a light weight rod and open faced reel. Can't wait until spring to get back out on the rivers :)

Scrambler84

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nacogdoches, TX, USA
First Name
Ricardo
Last Name
Estrada

My first catch was not big, but it was my first ever stream/river trout. I caught 7 that day. I'm now hooked. View attachment 130242

View attachment 130241

I've got several areas on my bucket list to visit . Now retired I'll have time I hope . Wanna fly fish Colorado, Idaho Montana,,and Canada .
Maybe Alaska lol. But mostly USA areas .
Nice fish sir !

Scrambler84

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nacogdoches, TX, USA
First Name
Ricardo
Last Name
Estrada
Interesting that this discussion on fly fishing came up at this time. I've had a fly rod, reel and flies for a long time, and have even used it, but not for quite awhile I've been telling myself I need to get back on the water and start fly fishing again. I've never tied my own but would like to learn some day.
Start tying it's not as hard as you would think and ya start with all the basics . I've been tying for a few years now I'm not the greatest but flies I'm trying yea there catching fish . Here is East Texas area mostly Bass and pan fish but I've also tied Saltwater flies . Good luck sir .

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)

View attachment 130241

My parents moved to Utah when I was 11 and that was the start of my fly and lake fishing addiction. If you are truly hooked, be careful as there's no cure for it. Nice little german brown you caught there. Whereabouts were you?

Reactions: 64Trvlr