Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I will be out tomorrow morning with a friend trying out my new boat. The lake we are going to is planted each year with Browns, Dolly Varden, and Triploids, most in the 20” plus size! This fishing trip is to get my friend out again, been a few years for him! Oh, and I get to fish too! Vance.

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
Fly fishing is something i would love to get into. I picked up a fly rod combo this last winter but have not taken it out much. Usually I am fishing a stocked lake here in the central valley area in California, with spin gear and baitcasters.

I'm hoping to possibly do a fly fishing trip up in yosemite area near the end of summer this year, but i'll need to learn how to fly fish first.

firemen7

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, CA, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
McLaren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EBY
Service Branch
Firefighter/Paramedi
I’m new to the fly fishing group and am learning the art of catch & release. I have always wanted to learn fly fishing and over the past year have made several purchases. I have done well on the Lower Owens and East Walker this past Fall and will be trying my new found skills on the McCloud next month.

Thankful to have found this forum.

Attachments

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I’m new to the fly fishing group and am learning the art of catch & release. I have always wanted to learn fly fishing and over the past year have made several purchases. I have done well on the Lower Owens and East Walker this past Fall and will be trying my new found skills on the McCloud next month.

Thankful to have found this forum.
fireman,
Practice casting your fly rod with line on it as much as you can, even in just the back yard. There Is a nack to it but, make it fun not work! My casting still is not as good as my fishing buddies, but all it takes is that first fish and you will remember the experience for a long time! Vance.

Reactions: Caddis and firemen7

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

That’s the big problem now for me! I have a lot of nerve damage and had to relearn my casting technique. I cannot feel the rod load so having to adjust. Most like a faster rod than I fish. My 3wt. LL is my favorite then my 4wt LL. Vance.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Is it even possible to fly fish and NOT be an overlander?

Moving to Ohio has tempered my fly fishing some but I make a point to get out and see if I can still outsmart something with the brain the size of a walnut. I’m headed down to the Smoky Mountains in a few weeks and should be able to find some trout while I’m there.

A1091B5B-D6B1-439D-A508-B4B09C1B1EEC.jpeg

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Just found this thread and thought I'd share. I live in New Mexico and love to fish the small streams of the Jemez and Pecos Mountains for some Rainbows and Browns. But, my favorite fishing rivers, streams and lakes are in neighboring Colorado. (Pic is fishing from my kayak with my adventure-travel-buddy Banjo, in Steamboat Lake). Generally I don't fly fish AND overland on the same trip, although I am not opposed to that. My favorite fly is a Caddis.
Colo_Utah_camp 179.JPG

pairadocs_overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Ashland, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Marinny
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I live in Northern Idaho and fly fish regularly while traveling the back roads. Our season is really picking up now that the snow has mostly melted.

firemen7

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, CA, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
McLaren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EBY
Service Branch
Firefighter/Paramedi
Great time dispersed camping and fly fishing the McCloud

Attachments

denverdisco2

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO
First Name
Will
Last Name
Howard
Got a few days of fishing in last week up near Grand Lake, CO and got to test out my new rod vault. Very nice to not have to break down or set up a rod from scratch every morning or worrying about breaking the rod stuffing it inside the vehicle.

Fly Guy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pocomoke City, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Just found this thread and thought I'd share. I live in New Mexico and love to fish the small streams of the Jemez and Pecos Mountains for some Rainbows and Browns. But, my favorite fishing rivers, streams and lakes are in neighboring Colorado. (Pic is fishing from my kayak with my adventure-travel-buddy Banjo, in Steamboat Lake). Generally I don't fly fish AND overland on the same trip, although I am not opposed to that. My favorite fly is a Caddis.
View attachment 100916

I loved fishing the Pecos and Jemez rivers while living in Albuquerque along with Santa Cruz creek just north of Santa Fe. But my favorite place to fish is the San Juan River ...

SJ2.jpg

SJ5.jpg

SJ1.jpg

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

I love trout fishing. Been doing it my entire life. Recently got into fly fishing for trout and I’m hooked. Still have SOOOOOO much to learn. I thought catching trout and even smallmouth bass on an ultra lite was fun, until I started catching them both on a fly rod and enjoyed it even more.

55360FB2-59B0-4357-B755-94983BDCC6D3.jpeg2089EF07-D9F9-4224-A096-AEA6D95B6D3D.jpeg

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

I didn't think there was much interest here in fly fishing before but after seeing a few other's posts in various threads it appears I'm not the only one here hooked on it. (Pun very much intended)
So, Fly Fishermen and Women, show yourselves! Where is your home water, what's your favorite catch, what's your favorite fly?

I'll start.
I'm Chris
My true home water is in New Hampshire but my new home water is now Central Texas.
I've always loved Rainbow Trout but I am finding myself targeting Redfish a lot down here.
My favorite fly is an olive damsel concoction I've been working on. Its pretty productive on rivers and creeks here in the hill country.
Hey Chris, where at in CenTex? I'm in New Braunfels. I've been talking to the folks at Gruene Outfitters and am planning on taking fly casting lessons when the weather cools off. I've done a lot of bass fishing and inshore/nearshore fishing in the past. Now I want to learn my way around a fly rod.
Cheers

Reactions: Scrambler84

Scrambler84

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nacogdoches, TX, USA
First Name
Ricardo
Last Name
Estrada
I didn't think there was much interest here in fly fishing before but after seeing a few other's posts in various threads it appears I'm not the only one here hooked on it. (Pun very much intended)
So, Fly Fishermen and Women, show yourselves! Where is your home water, what's your favorite catch, what's your favorite fly?

I'll start.
I'm Chris
My true home water is in New Hampshire but my new home water is now Central Texas.
I've always loved Rainbow Trout but I am finding myself targeting Redfish a lot down here.
My favorite fly is an olive damsel concoction I've been working on. Its pretty productive on rivers and creeks here in the hill country.
Now living in East Texas area Fly fishing and tying now your talking . IMG_0040.JPG

Reactions: firemen7

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I learned by catching Golden trout with barbless flies in the Sierras. This summer I had the chance to fish the Green River in the Flaming Gorge where I caught my first ever Cutthroat trout.

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
I learned by catching Golden trout with barbless flies in the Sierras. This summer I had the chance to fish the Green River in the Flaming Gorge where I caught my first ever Cutthroat trout.
Flaming Gorge reservoir and the closer portions of the green river opened for fishing in June 1965. My buddy and I had just graduated from high school and we took that opportunity to camp on the river below the dam for a week and a half. It was wonderful. The fishing was amazing. I could have thrown a bare hook in the water and caught fish - two to three pounders. We caught our limit in two hours.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Flaming Gorge reservoir and the closer portions of the green river opened for fishing in June 1965. My buddy and I had just graduated from high school and we took that opportunity to camp on the river below the dam for a week and a half. It was wonderful. The fishing was amazing. I could have thrown a bare hook in the water and caught fish - two to three pounders. We caught our limit in two hours.
I took that one on my second cast. It was amazing water to fish!