Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

December is just a click away and my life is going to get real busy as the shop goes full on Christmas. I've packed a lot of fly-fishing adventures into this year and still might get a day or two on the water before the New Year. I love fall here in Oregon as I hit the Rogue, Deschutes, Metolius, and even dipped down into NORCAL to sample the Klamath. The most interesting day on the water was spent with a crew from Brighthouse Financial on the Metolius. Evidently as I have gotten older I'm in high demand as a character actor, it must be the gray hair. They followed me around with tons of camera gear while I gave them a tour of Oregon and told my story. Turned out kind of cool, for an old guy. No, I'm not retiring anytime soon to get into acting. The link takes you to the finished piece. Yes, I got paid. Enough to cover gas anyway. I even cooked them lunch on the Skottle!

Fall-7274.jpg RogueCutty-7166.jpg Klamath-7566.jpg DeschutesTrout-260444.jpg

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

December is just a click away and my life is going to get real busy as the shop goes full on Christmas. I've packed a lot of fly-fishing adventures into this year and still might get a day or two on the water before the New Year. I love fall here in Oregon as I hit the Rogue, Deschutes, Metolius, and even dipped down into NORCAL to sample the Klamath. The most interesting day on the water was spent with a crew from Brighthouse Financial on the Metolius. Evidently as I have gotten older I'm in high demand as a character actor, it must be the gray hair. They followed me around with tons of camera gear while I gave them a tour of Oregon and told my story. Turned out kind of cool, for an old guy. No, I'm not retiring anytime soon to get into acting. The link takes you to the finished piece. Yes, I got paid. Enough to cover gas anyway. I even cooked them lunch on the Skottle!

View attachment 77593 View attachment 77590 View attachment 77591 View attachment 77592
Very Cool. My cousin is trying to get me out to Oregon to fish with a guide friend of hers. I wish I could make it happen but next year is booked solid for me on the East Coast.

Reactions: NWNavigator

Chase Kahl

Rank 0

Traveler I

Definitely watching this thread. I'm Chase, I live in SW Missouri, and I've been fly fishing for 24 years. Wouldn't have it any other way. I've had my 5 wt Elks Lodge rod and real for about 15 of these 24 years. Would love to upgrade to the Orvis Helios 3, but my money is going to my overland rig.:smiley: Home waters is mostly Roaring River in Cassville Mo. Fav Fly/Flys are a Baby/Wooley Bugger, and Adams Dry Flies.. If anyone has a question about fly fishing, I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge! IMG950032[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sully3

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki

View attachment 77593 View attachment 77590 View attachment 77591 View attachment 77592
This is awesome!! Very cool piece.

Reactions: NWNavigator

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
Have fished all my life, my dad is a big bass fisherman so I grew up doing that. Used to fish a lot of tournaments and such, but got burnt out and stopped fishing for a while. Then a co-worker asked me if I wanted to go trout fishing with him one day, I had never been so I said sure. I had a blast that day catching trout on rooster tails and spinning rods, but saw most people on the river were fly fishing. I decided I would give it a try last summer and have been hooked since. Got an inexpensive setup from Cabelas and have even started tying my own flies. I'm really enjoying this new, no pressure, way of fishing and even got my fiance interested in it so we can learn together.

Hitman6

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

South Carolina
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Norwood
Member #

Chris,

I see your posts are older but my son and I just picked up some fly fishing gear and are headed to Fishtop on the Green River NC tomorrow to check it out. Weather is in the mid 50's so it should be promising. Not much in the way of camping areas so I guess we will have to scout something out. I was hoping to find some overlander guidance or someone local to NC who could give me some tips. Anyway-its a road trip and we are looking forward. I agree-a flyfishing thread would be nice-

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

I have a pole in my DD/overland truck and whenever I’m ahead of schedule I like to pull it out and throw a few casts. I live in Montana and there are some amazing places to fish.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

KPMetrics

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vermont
Member #

I'm a fly fisherman, actually I used to run the web business for Orvis on the fly fishing and hunting categories.

My overlanding activity is primarily focused on chasing trout and the occasional small mouth bass here in Vermont.

Any of you guys and gals in VT or surrounding area ever want to get out on the water give me a shout.

sully3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Purdy, MO
First Name
jeff
Last Name
sullivan
Member #

new spot to fly fish , Poudre River, Colorado..and yes that was the start of another forest fire, them fire chasers made quick work of it though...

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
Here's a great article on where to find good trout fishery in the southeastern region. I live in the Florida panhandle so this is a camping and fly fishing trip I am planning to make. If anyone has fished these rivers, let us know what you think of that area.

https://gardenandgun.com/feature/the-other-montana/?diversion=travel&utm_campaign=4.30 Yuketen (JMwUdt)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Newsletter - US Central&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJqb3JnZW5zZW5fbGFAeWFob28uY29tIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiYlZ2dkJlIn0=

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

An open question to anybody fly fishing in NorCal, is anyone familiar with an area on the Feather river called Cleghorn Bar ? I hear the road gets “interesting” as It drops toward the river.

NoOne

Rank I

Enthusiast I

My Dad and I fly fished up an down Central and Northern California for a few decades. Loved it, but I haven't done it in years now. I still have my gear though, Orvis, Sage, Ross, Simms, blah, blah, blah. I assume it is still in good condition. I'm not, but it probably is.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling