Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

That's one I've been looking at. Do you just toss your DSLR in or keep it in a second case or wrap? I'd be throwing a 5dIII and 16-35 in if I carried my camera with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Normally I wrap cameras up in one of those backpacker's towels to keep other gear from banging them. Also tend to carry a "Puffy" vest or jacket as padding and layering if the weather changes. The down side to any waterproof pack is the zipper. It is a pain to get in and out of, but that's the trade off for protection. NOTE: the pack I have is last year's model. I'm a Patagonia dealer and wasn't impressed with the "improvements" for this year so grabbed an older one. They seem to have cut corners a bit on the new stuff. Simm's makes a nice sling pack as well, but it is smaller. I can stuff a camera in one of each and PM you a photo if you want. Cheers

Reactions: villaphoto

villaphoto

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Campbell
Member #

Normally I wrap cameras up in one of those backpacker's towels to keep other gear from banging them. Also tend to carry a "Puffy" vest or jacket as padding and layering if the weather changes. The down side to any waterproof pack is the zipper. It is a pain to get in and out of, but that's the trade off for protection. NOTE: the pack I have is last year's model. I'm a Patagonia dealer and wasn't impressed with the "improvements" for this year so grabbed an older one. They seem to have cut corners a bit on the new stuff. Simm's makes a nice sling pack as well, but it is smaller. I can stuff a camera in one of each and PM you a photo if you want. Cheers
I'd love to see shots of both. Thanks for the help!

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Kind of quiet here on the Fly Fishing thread. Hope everyone is out fishing. I just returned from 4 days in Steelhead Camp on the Deschutes River where I hosted 6 anglers. We found a few fish. Had a great time. And nobody died. Always the measure of a great trip. I even got to play with a few hot fish during our stay...

MicroSpey.jpg

This hatchery Steelhead climbed on at high noon while I was tossing streamers for Trout with my new Winston MicroSpey. The rod handled the hot fish with no issues.

NativeSteel.jpg

This wild native hen grabbed on to my signature pattern, the Royal Treatment, on the swing at first light. There is nothing like a dry line grab in the morning to start your day off right!

RoyalTreatment.jpg

The Royal Treatment. I created this fly at a cabin on the Deschutes River in 1996. It's been tied commercially since 2000 and has brought to hand uncountable Steelhead from BC to NORCAL for many of my friends and customers. I just like to tye it because it's fun to tye...and it works. Plus it looks cool.

Hope you're getting out there and chasing a few fish!

Chuck Marshall

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

4 CLOE CT Sacramento, ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Marshall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6RTN
Love to fly fish, unfortunately this year has been a hassle on my favorite river, the West Walker in the Pickel meadows area. With high flows and last winter taking out the spot where CA DFW used to plant the trout it has been a challenge finding the fish. Also, because the river was blown out much of the summer it has really compressed the season and I've seen more fishing pressure than ever before. Long drive from Sacramento.

Glenny

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sandy, UT
Member #

Love to use my rig as a base for fly fishing here in Utah. Overlanding and fly fishing go well together. Some photos from my recent trip to the Unita Mountains. Fly fishing above 10k feet. They are small but pretty and put up a good fight on my 3wtIMG_2235.jpgIMG_2236.jpgIMG_2200.jpgIMG_2225.jpgIMG_2232.jpgIMG_2238.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

Hula_100

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Clovis, Ca
Member #

I just found this thread!

I'm Robert, my home water is the Central Sierra's on the west side. I dig any fish that'll take and fight on the fly, but mainly go after trout. I like light weight rigs that are compact, so I run a Tenkara USA Rhodo and a 7'6" 3wt Western fly rod. My favorite fish by far is Golden Trout, love the color and the adventure getting to them. Glad to see there are other fly fisherman here!

-Tight lines-

Reactions: robrtsmtn

Hula_100

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Clovis, Ca
Member #

I'm Adriaan
My home water is Putah Creek, near Winters CA. I have a 5 wt TFO, two 4 wt Orvis rods (one is glass/ slow action). Prefer dry fly fishing but once I land my first large brown, that may change; still trying to find some good waters for Browns. My next trip will be out towards Redding/ Shasta or maybe Feather River near Quincy. Would love to hear if any of the Overlanders have had success with Browns in these areas and if you came across some nice riverside camping spots; off the beaten tracks, of course!
Hey Adriaan,

I fly fish the feather river up that way, not quite to Quincy but on the way. Cleghorn Bar is where I mainly stay, but you won't find brown's up there, mainly Rainbows. It's a fun trip, for sure! There are a couple other out of the way places that I've been to up there but this is my favorite by far.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

I'm heading to Bozeman next month for the AFFTA Dealer Summit, then fishing/camping my way home. I was planning on camping in Yellowstone the first night, but the Madison campground closes the week before I leave. Would love to fish the Madison and Gibbon in the park before heading to Twin Bridges to fish the Ruby and Big Hole, but not sure about where to park it for the night. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Weather sounds a bit chilly, but manageable. I have no set schedule and my route is flexible. I just need to be in Bozeman from the 15th-18th, blowing out of Bozeman in the afternoon... aiming to be home by the 23rd, but I'm the boss so that's open too.

MontanaTrip.jpg

Trailpatrol

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Isanti, MN
Member #

I live in central Minnesota, but my home waters are the Marengo and Brunsweiler Rivers, and a number of smaller streams centered around the Beaver Lake USFS Campground on the Chequamegon National Forest in NW Wisconsin. Most of these streams were radically changed after major storms in July of 2016. As one of my guide buddies says, it's a different river now. Relearning, finding new holes, new blowdown in the backcountry. Proud member of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, and Cogburn driver.

Sent from my KFGIWI using OB Talk mobile app