First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I'm Jeff (Sully) member#5142
My home water is southwest Missouri, I fish several streams and river here but in the last 4 yrs (while kids were stationed at Ft Carson Co) I fished Co rivers and reservoirs , did ok there, now there are getting out so its time to find new places to fly fish, adventure adventure!!!!
We should meet up and go fishing sometime ... I am in northwest Arkansas, but fish southwest Missouri and northeast Oklahoma more than I do Arkansas ... Table Rock Lake, Roaring River, Lake Taneycomo and the Elk River (which is used more for drinking and partying than fishing) ... I've fished Hickory Creek, but without much luck ... Actually, I fish Missouri more than I fish anywhere else.

sully3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Purdy, MO
First Name
jeff
Last Name
sullivan
Member #

Yea I live just north if roaring river about 10 miles.. Love to fish there

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

R1200gsfan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pleasanton CA
First Name
Adriaan
Last Name
Theron
Member #

I'm Adriaan
My home water is Putah Creek, near Winters CA. I have a 5 wt TFO, two 4 wt Orvis rods (one is glass/ slow action). Prefer dry fly fishing but once I land my first large brown, that may change; still trying to find some good waters for Browns. My next trip will be out towards Redding/ Shasta or maybe Feather River near Quincy. Would love to hear if any of the Overlanders have had success with Browns in these areas and if you came across some nice riverside camping spots; off the beaten tracks, of course!

Reactions: villaphoto

sully3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Purdy, MO
First Name
jeff
Last Name
sullivan
Member #

AdventureAwaitsTn, just be prepared most people get hooked and love it and want to include it in their OB trips lol

Reactions: NV.Recon

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

AdventureAwaitsTn, just be prepared most people get hooked and love it and want to include it in their OB trips lol

That's fine with me, my wife and girls are big Kayakers, and I just can't get into that.

Reactions: sully3

Jasalvas

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Petaluma, CA
Member #

I'm Adriaan
My home water is Putah Creek, near Winters CA. I have a 5 wt TFO, two 4 wt Orvis rods (one is glass/ slow action). Prefer dry fly fishing but once I land my first large brown, that may change; still trying to find some good waters for Browns. My next trip will be out towards Redding/ Shasta or maybe Feather River near Quincy. Would love to hear if any of the Overlanders have had success with Browns in these areas and if you came across some nice riverside camping spots; off the beaten tracks, of course!
Hi Adriaan,

I have no idea when I would be able to fish again but Putah isn't that far from me. My wife and I have a 7 week old so maybe the fall?!? Anyway, would love to cast some dries or even drench some rabbit fur!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

While West Slope Cutthroat are common in parts of the west, their historical range in Oregon is relatively small. I set a goal to photograph one in Oregon and spent a year researching watersheds, maps, satellite images and assorted scientific papers on the subject. Many of the locations thought to have remnant populations of WSCs have suffered fires and lost of habitat over the years, especially with the drought years. With our excellent snowpack this year I planned several trips to my target watersheds to see if these wild native fish still inhabited them. Well, this past holiday weekend I was successful in accomplishing my goal. I caught and carefully released several beautiful specimens in a fairly short time. Since the population is small and the watershed itself very small, I limited my angling efforts to just a few hours then turned my attention to photography. I've put some additional photographs of the trip in the Trips and Events section of the forum.

WestSlopeAdventure-7030023.jpg

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Tyed up a few dry flies this morning... My bags are packed and the destination is Mission Bay. Nothing like a few days of tugging on Makos to break up the Trout fishing summer funk. Switching from my 4wt Sweetgrass bamboo to a 14wt Winston broom handle this weekend and dialing up my buddy Conway... It's almost SHARK WEEK!!!!! Fins to the left, fins to the right.....

MakoPoppers.jpg

Attom

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Middle Tennessee
Member #

I love fly fishing, but, like most things other than work, I don't get to do it nearly as much as I would like. I appreciate how the sport forces you to slow down and find a different rhythm than what gets you through most of life.
The Caney Fork is the closest trout stream to me, so it's the one I fish the most, but I prefer going for brookies at a secret location near the Smokies.
First started fly fishing when I found a fly tying kit at a garage sale and my dad, brother, good friend, and I took a class together over the winter. That was 25 years ago, and I haven't tied much since then, but I still have a few dozen fairly decent flys from back then. I don't always use them, but it's pretty satisfying to hook a fish on a fly I made when I was 12.

Reactions: FlyJeep

R1200gsfan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pleasanton CA
First Name
Adriaan
Last Name
Theron
Member #

While West Slope Cutthroat are common in parts of the west, their historical range in Oregon is relatively small. I set a goal to photograph one in Oregon and spent a year researching watersheds, maps, satellite images and assorted scientific papers on the subject. Many of the locations thought to have remnant populations of WSCs have suffered fires and lost of habitat over the years, especially with the drought years. With our excellent snowpack this year I planned several trips to my target watersheds to see if these wild native fish still inhabited them. Well, this past holiday weekend I was successful in accomplishing my goal. I caught and carefully released several beautiful specimens in a fairly short time. Since the population is small and the watershed itself very small, I limited my angling efforts to just a few hours then turned my attention to photography. I've put some additional photographs of the trip in the Trips and Events section of the forum.

View attachment 28515
What an amazing looking fish; almost translucent! A great prize for all the hard research you invested.

R1200gsfan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pleasanton CA
First Name
Adriaan
Last Name
Theron
Member #

Tyed up a few dry flies this morning... My bags are packed and the destination is Mission Bay. Nothing like a few days of tugging on Makos to break up the Trout fishing summer funk. Switching from my 4wt Sweetgrass bamboo to a 14wt Winston broom handle this weekend and dialing up my buddy Conway... It's almost SHARK WEEK!!!!! Fins to the left, fins to the right.....

View attachment 29006
Is that gear intended for Great Whites??

R1200gsfan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pleasanton CA
First Name
Adriaan
Last Name
Theron
Member #

I love fly fishing, but, like most things other than work, I don't get to do it nearly as much as I would like. I appreciate how the sport forces you to slow down and find a different rhythm than what gets you through most of life.
The Caney Fork is the closest trout stream to me, so it's the one I fish the most, but I prefer going for brookies at a secret location near the Smokies.
First started fly fishing when I found a fly tying kit at a garage sale and my dad, brother, good friend, and I took a class together over the winter. That was 25 years ago, and I haven't tied much since then, but I still have a few dozen fairly decent flys from back then. I don't always use them, but it's pretty satisfying to hook a fish on a fly I made when I was 12.

There will come a time when the balance shifts over more to the fly fishing side of life :) And you will have earned it.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Original post vanished.... Here's a glimpse at the last two weeks of angling adventures. San Diego Makos and Puget Sound Coho Salmon. Both fun, but very different. Next up, North Umpqua Steelhead...

Mako.jpg

Coho.jpg

PugetSound.jpg

Reactions: JK72450 and FlyJeep

villaphoto

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Campbell
Member #

I'm Adriaan
Fished Putah Creek yesterday, I didn't have much luck but my friend I was with had some luck. It was absolutely beautiful out though.