Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Oh.... my...... those are some big bugs... I have heard so much about the Deschutes... have to get out there! Definitely don't need a size 24 out there...
They're a little creepy when they crawl down your neck, but you get use to it. The hatch lasts about three weeks and normally works its way upriver as the river warms. Issues with dam operation are making it a little less predictable these days, then there's our changing weather.... It got warm this week getting the bugs turned on, now a cold front will slow the hatch down a little. The big bugs like warmer weather to fly and lay their eggs...

DeschutesSalmonflyEggs-5080059.jpg

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

@OregonTrail4runner Those are some fantastic shots. Wow.

But seeing make of your rod reminded me of this sad development:
http://www.kbzk.com/story/35364739/famous-fly-fishing-shop-lost-to-fire
That's only part of the story... My rep filled me in on the losses yesterday, sad deal. That said, it was only the bamboo rod shop and I don't sell many of their boo rods. The graphite rod shop is unaffected. Winston plans to rebuild the boo shop bigger and better. They say they'll be running full production in 2018.

Glenn Brackett of Sweet Grass Rods built me a 7 1/2 wt., 8 strip and personally delivered it to the shop last year. Glenn owned Winston until selling to the current owner. He's moving his shop from Twin Bridges to Butte, so for now, there is no bamboo rod building in Twin Bridges....sad deal.

ClearwaterScott

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia, Missouri
Member #

@OregonTrail4runner -- Ya, I'm aware of the changes in ownership and division of builders. Still a very sad development. I did my time in the business, great partners, great products and always a delight to deal with over the years.

Im sure you're too busy to fish that Sweet Grass. I am happy to help get it some time on the water. Just drop it in the mail and I'll get it back to you at the end of the season. :)

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

@OregonTrail4runner --

Im sure you're too busy to fish that Sweet Grass.
Too busy fishing... once these pesky Salmonflies finish up we'll switch over to the Green Drakes on the Metolius. That Sweet Grass rod loves the Metolius and the misc. small Mayfly hatch...me too.

GreenDrake.jpg

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

That's only part of the story... My rep filled me in on the losses yesterday, sad deal. That said, it was only the bamboo rod shop and I don't sell many of their boo rods. The graphite rod shop is unaffected. Winston plans to rebuild the boo shop bigger and better. They say they'll be running full production in 2018.

Glenn Brackett of Sweet Grass Rods built me a 7 1/2 wt., 8 strip and personally delivered it to the shop last year. Glenn owned Winston until selling to the current owner. He's moving his shop from Twin Bridges to Butte, so for now, there is no bamboo rod building in Twin Bridges....sad deal.
Wow! That stinks. I used Winston in my line up gear for my clients. Great company.

SOCOSam

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Del Norte, CO
Member #

I was out on the Rio Grande this last weekend and it was unproductive as far as wade fishing went. We shall see how it looks when the run off slows a bit. It was fishing great before the snow pack really started flowing!

Chief Indy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Camby, Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hey I am kinda newish to fly fishing I use a tenkara rod and don't know the real difference between the flies yet. I have hiked and fly fished around Shenandoah for brook trout. Dumb luck prevailed and I caught several however I have not fly fished much here in Indiana since I came home however I keep that rod in my truck at all times and if I find myself with time by a body of water you bet im getting it out.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Go to a fly shop close to where you're fishing and ask them what the fish are biting ... that's the best way to know what fly to use. It's fun to tie your own flies, but the more you get into fly fishing, the more you'll find that the only time you have for tying flies are those times when you can't go fishing. I live in Northwest Arkansas, near the Missouri and Oklahoma borders. I have world-class trout fishing within an hour on the White River tailwaters. A fish hatchery about 45 minutes away in Missouri and great largemouth bass fishing about an hour away in Oklahoma ... and there are plenty of creeks and small streams within a 30 minute drive, as well. Northwest Arkansas also has plenty of other outdoor activities, as well: great hiking and biking trails, kayaking on the Mulberry River, and camping and canoeing/kayaking on the Buffalo River, which was the first river in the United States to get federal protection for it's entire length ... It has 400-foot limestone bluffs towering above the river, really beautiful canoe trip.

Reactions: Chief Indy

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Go to a fly shop close to where you're fishing and ask them what the fish are biting ... that's the best way to know what fly to use. It's fun to tie your own flies, but the more you get into fly fishing, the more you'll find that the only time you have for tying flies are those times when you can't go fishing. I live in Northwest Arkansas, near the Missouri and Oklahoma borders. I have world-class trout fishing within an hour on the White River tailwaters. A fish hatchery about 45 minutes away in Missouri and great largemouth bass fishing about an hour away in Oklahoma ... and there are plenty of creeks and small streams within a 30 minute drive, as well. Northwest Arkansas also has plenty of other outdoor activities, as well: great hiking and biking trails, kayaking on the Mulberry River, and camping and canoeing/kayaking on the Buffalo River, which was the first river in the United States to get federal protection for it's entire length ... It has 400-foot limestone bluffs towering above the river, really beautiful canoe trip.
Great advice! I have some rivers you can drift a hook, and catch a fish. Then, I have other areas where it really depends on the specific hatch going on at the moment. Are the fish feeding on nymph at the bottom, emergers, closer to the surface, or in the film, or are they going off a dry fly. Fly shops are a great resource. If you really want to be a die hard, pay for a guide. They know the spots, flies, and manners of the fish. Then go back, and try different patterns, sizes, and colors. Fly fishing is for those that are patient. I've been fishing our rivers here for 25 years, guiding for 15. Everyday, can throw a learning curve. Most of all, it's getting out, and enjoying God's creation.FB_IMG_1440706877567.jpg

Reactions: FlyJeep

Dan & Jen Nevada

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the Road...
Member #

Hey I am kinda newish to fly fishing I use a tenkara rod and don't know the real difference between the flies yet. I have hiked and fly fished around Shenandoah for brook trout. Dumb luck prevailed and I caught several however I have not fly fished much here in Indiana since I came home however I keep that rod in my truck at all times and if I find myself with time by a body of water you bet im getting it out.
Heck, 90% of my fishing is with half a dozen flies or some variation thereof. I rarely "match the hatch" and find I don't need to. Some tried and true patterns will do the trick most of the time in most waters.

I used to be more concerned about tracking down trout as long as your leg, seeking challenging (that usually means crowded and heavily fished) waters, etc. but now I just enjoy a small stream or a sierra lake with hungry, eager trout. Getting out and fishing is the point, not proving anything. To each there own and I'd never tell anyone their way of enjoying the sport is wrong but after almost 25 years of fly fishing, I prefer quiet, solitude and feisty wild trout.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Played hooky yesterday to gather intel for my weekly newsletter, a mental health day you might say. Ran into a old friend who builds bamboo fly rods and drives around the river in his restored Willys Jeep. Also ran into a few fish and the last of the Salmonfly hatch in the Maupin area. It's good to be the boss.

Jeep-1119.jpg

DeschutesRedside-5310013.jpg

DeschutesSalmonfly-5310019.jpg

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
Go to a fly shop close to where you're fishing and ask them what the fish are biting ...
More often than not that's @OregonTrail4runner for me. Most of the materials I tie with come from his shop, and I look forward to his emails.
I SUCK at fly fishing, can flip a two-hander around OK., and haven't been out on the D in 4 years, when it broke my S10. Made me a lil gun shy, and figure if I go back the other side will break. I don't think the wife's been in that rig since that weekend...

I had a back injury a number of years ago. While I was sitting at home, I decided I was going to take up fly fishing (already a gear angler). Bought a blank from Lami, components from Anglers Workshop (RIP) and got into it. My wife bought me lessons from Kaufmann (RIP) that didn't pan out with the closing, so I've never had any training at all.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
More often than not that's @OregonTrail4runner for me. Most of the materials I tie with come from his shop, and I look forward to his emails.
I SUCK at fly fishing, can flip a two-hander around OK., and haven't been out on the D in 4 years, when it broke my S10. Made me a lil gun shy, and figure if I go back the other side will break. I don't think the wife's been in that rig since that weekend...

I had a back injury a number of years ago. While I was sitting at home, I decided I was going to take up fly fishing (already a gear angler). Bought a blank from Lami, components from Anglers Workshop (RIP) and got into it. My wife bought me lessons from Kaufmann (RIP) that didn't pan out with the closing, so I've never had any training at all.

Have faith ... and patience. Watch some videos on YouTube and never go fly fishing on a blustery, windy day (That will destroy anyone's confidence). Make sure the rod loads properly (That the line is sufficiently behind the rod), before you start bringing the rod forward. Do so gently. If you hear the line snapping behind, you're going too fast. I have days when it feels like I can cast a mile and there are days I should never have gone to the river. If you really want to have some fun, "swing" a two-hander for trout sometime :sunglasses: Above all, have fun with it ... Good luck!

Last edited:

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Fly fish in upstate NY. I use a 6 wt.
I will generally use a 5wt. here, unless I am fishing bigger waters fishing large streamers, hoping to land a massive brown and, then, I will generally use the "Death Star," which is a Sage two-hander in 7 wt.

Reactions: Luis

sully3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Purdy, MO
First Name
jeff
Last Name
sullivan
Member #

I didn't think there was much interest here in fly fishing before but after seeing a few other's posts in various threads it appears I'm not the only one here hooked on it. (Pun very much intended)
So, Fly Fishermen and Women, show yourselves! Where is your home water, what's your favorite catch, what's your favorite fly?

I'll start.
I'm Chris
My true home water is in New Hampshire but my new home water is now Central Texas.
I've always loved Rainbow Trout but I am finding myself targeting Redfish a lot down here.
My favorite fly is an olive damsel concoction I've been working on. Its pretty productive on rivers and creeks here in the hill country.
I'm Jeff (Sully) member#5142
My home water is southwest Missouri, I fish several streams and river here but in the last 4 yrs (while kids were stationed at Ft Carson Co) I fished Co rivers and reservoirs , did ok there, now there are getting out so its time to find new places to fly fish, adventure adventure!!!!