Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

I have searched here, and and other places, and haven’t found what I am looking for. I am trying to see if there is any significant difference between a roof basket, and a slim-line or flat rack. I know there are many styles and designs, some very vehicle specific, some rather generic.

What are the advantages to each? Does on affect fuel mileage more than the other? Do you worry stuff will fall off of a flat rack and not worry so much with a basket?

Just curious why some people go for a basket and some for a flat rack. Why did you make your decision for your setup?

Reactions: Jedi

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
You’ll lose some mileage no matter what. A smaller basket will have a smaller footprint, so you may now lose as much with one of those. But just adding crossbars May effect mileage. It doesn’t make any difference between the two as far as stuff falling off is concerned. You have to strap anything you put up there down.
I have the Frontrunner, I choose it for the strength, the accessories, and the look of the flat rack. I like the ease of mounting accessories that both the Frontrunner and Rhino Rack have.

offroad.GX

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I've ran baskets on my last few SUV/crossovers and I will probably end up going with a front runner rack at some point. I like the basket but on my Subaru but it's not always easy to access. A flat rack would be lower and more accessible.

ZoKa Trading

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

GLENDALE, CA
Member #

I too used to run a basket, I used it on my previous truck (see avatar) I like how I can just throw stuff in and not worry about it going anywhere. I can arrange my cans and my boxes in a way that I am confident that it will not "fall off" or "fly off" even with straps I worry.
and there is my current build, I have a lifted GX, I placed the basket in there for a while but realized that it is much taller for what it is. I am having a hard time with parking garages, with the basket empty so I opted for a platform instead. With the platform I am at 6'8" and can easily park most garages and with the stuff on top, extra straps. Plus the fact that I can throw an RTT with no issues.

Reactions: Graeman

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

RTT requires a flat rack. Also you can hang things over the edge of a flat rack and it doesn’t look weird.

Really no reason to use a basket if things are strapped/bolted down up there.

James

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Iv been running a basket but only when I need to. I have a cheap curt basket that I throw on the roof only when I need it. Bolts to the roof rails with 4 u bolts. I usually leave my traction boards and hilift large base attached to the rack. This enables me to keep my mileage as a daily but gives me the utility of a roof basket when I need it. My roof basket cost me about 4mpg.

A slim line roof rack will cost you less mpg. The larger and taller the roof rack the worse it’s gonna be.

Whatever solution you go with, strapping things down is a necessity. The last thing you want is something falling off your roof.

If I had the money I would have a flat roof rack. But I don’t do a cheap basket gets the job done.

Old Rusty

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Australia
Hi I have been running the ROLLA TITON Flat rack now for about a year and find that it is more user friendly with placing flat sided objects on top or you can go right up to the edge with items like my kyack.