Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I’m going off of my 2009 access cab trd off-road with a 6 speed I think it has more than a new gladiator

My truck is 1305 pounds
Best case scenario I know of in 4x4 trim is the Access Cab 2.7L with the 5MT which at a cursory check is 1,395 lbs. Much better than the current lineup but stuck with the 4cyl to get that and the V6 drops it much closer to the current lineup.

For reference, my truck is 1,550lbs and the Sport 6MT version is 1,600lbs. I think only the Ranger can get higher in 4x4 trim.

Highplainsdrifter

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

X
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pressley
Member #

I’m going off of my 2009 access cab trd off-road with a 6 speed I think it has more than a new gladiator

My truck is 1305 pounds
Best case scenario I know of in 4x4 trim is the Access Cab 2.7L with the 5MT which at a cursory check is 1,395 lbs. Much better than the current lineup but stuck with the 4cyl to get that and the V6 drops it much closer to the current lineup.

For reference, my truck is 1,550lbs and the Sport 6MT version is 1,600lbs. I think only the Ranger can get higher in 4x4 trim.
So you changed trucks for 395 pounds of payload? Before you said people are going over 1500 pounds what difference does 395 pounds make when your that far over?

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

So you changed trucks for 395 pounds of payload? Before you said people are going over 1500 pounds what difference does 395 pounds make when your that far over?
400# of payload covers the spread for my build. The Jeep aftermarket is also much deeper at a much lower price and that means I can shop lighter weight options where I want them.

The real reason I changed aside from that is the SFA which, despite what others will tell you around here, isn't even playing the same sport as the Tacoma... ordered a 3.5" lift with shocks for $2,300 delivered that will give me articulation for days.

13XSPX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brunswick, GA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

I've pretty much decided on the FJC first, but would love to see everyone's opinion.

I have a 2008 FJC with about 220,000 miles. Manual. 4x4. A-Trac. Rear Locker. OME Heavy Supspenion. Cooper Tires.
Zero issues except a tranny vibration at about 20 mph. Seems resolved after I drained some of the black ATF and replaced with fresh.

Also got a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Double Cab. Short Bed. Manual. Bone Stock

So I'd like to make them both into expedition/overland vehicles.
The Tacoma will get an aluminum flatbed/tray and I will build the camper on top, which will be replaceable.

The FJC will get a clamshell RTT

Both will have upgraded suspension. FJC has OME, and Tacoma likely the same, not sure.
Both will also eventually get ARB Bull-bar, Winch, snorkel, lights, dual batteries, etc.

They both have their pros and cons I guess, but would like to know everyone's input to be sure there's nothing I missed.

Hello!

We've designed a gorgeous and functional set of sliders and we are stacking a group buy on top of our current sale. If anyone would like a set and get an extra $100 off please just let me know.

*HREW or DOM 120/180

*Tacoma, Tundra, FJ Cruiser, Lexus GX/LX and 4Runner

*Shipping is flat rate of $150

*Local pickup is available if you're near Chadwicks, NY

Explore Overland (explore-overland.com)

Let me know if you have any questions. We are happy to help!

Matt

Attachments

Tinsel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Launceston Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Theisel
Member #

From an FJ owner I absolutely love it. Can spend all day in it on highway or off-road. Fuel mileage is a bit horrible and mine definitely needs the secondary tank installed. Mines only just ticked over 61,000km so I have no issues (besides drowning it in mud) plenty more I’d like to do but with just a simple lift and stock sized tyres this has done some amazing things off-road. I don’t know much about the other rig but I rate the FJ highly.
be great to see what you plan on doing with it if you go the FJ way.