• HTML tutorial

ToyoMo

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Eagle, NE
Member #

Hey guys! I am looking to do a SBC swap on my 91. I have been looking at Marks adapters and trying to decide if I just want to swap the engine or do the engine and transmission. Will the 80 series transmission hold up to the stock 350? I do not plan on a lot of performance mods as I am loooing for reliability coupled with some extra power over what I have with the I6. It would save a ton of money not swapping in a different transmission, but I do not want to be rebuilding it repeatedly either. Thanks in advance!

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

You need to check on IH8mud, those guys have done everything.

Keep us posted on your decision. After a 5000 mile trip last month in my 80, the only thing I would change is a little more power, and maybe a couple mpg added would be nice.

E

expeditionnorth

check out gmc4x4.com lots of experienced chevy guys that have put SBC in lots of other rigs

IMHO I would go with the 4180 if its a new efi motor

ToyoMo

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Eagle, NE
Member #

All the info I have found to date says the 4L60 transmission is the better choice due to the 4L80 having softer shift points. What I have been considering is finding a TBI engine and using the original transmission from the cruiser. Doing this would save me a ton of money while still retaining fuel injection. I had hoped to find someone who retained their original tranny to get a scope of how well it held up. I have looked at Ih8 mud but it seems like every time I ask a question some jerk berates me for having the audacity to ale a question. It usually culminates in said jerk telling me to just search the archives and to delete my post. If I was able to find the answer I wouldn't be asking.... thanks for all the responses though!

E

expeditionnorth

All the info I have found to date says the 4L60 transmission is the better choice due to the 4L80 having softer shift points. What I have been considering is finding a TBI engine and using the original transmission from the cruiser. Doing this would save me a ton of money while still retaining fuel injection. I had hoped to find someone who retained their original tranny to get a scope of how well it held up. I have looked at Ih8 mud but it seems like every time I ask a question some jerk berates me for having the audacity to ale a question. It usually culminates in said jerk telling me to just search the archives and to delete my post. If I was able to find the answer I wouldn't be asking.... thanks for all the responses though!
Thats why I dont frequent that forum at all
check on expo ~ http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/ though attitudes can be had there as well from time to time, too many keyboard warriors out there fighting