Rank II

Enthusiast I

Madison Mississippi
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Brown
Member #

I tried searching but maybe I didn't use the correct wording. What do you do about fishing license when you are out of state? Is there a license that you can get that covers everywhere we go or is that just a head ache each time?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

To my knowledge, there has never been a national (USA) fishing license; it's all state by state.

I get a year long license for the states I know I may be fishing in a lot, over the shorter term licenses (many states offer a 3day or 15 day license for a lot less than a year long license).

It's not really a headache, as most states have an easy online way to get and pay for licenses and there is most always a local trading post, bait shop, or sporting goods store close to good fishing areas that sells licenses on the spot.

Fish and game license fees help states tremendously in providing conservation and other funds aimed directly at responsible outdoor recreation, hunting, and fishing.

Here's what the US Fish & Wildlife Service says:

ChrisWRF

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Madison Mississippi
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Brown
Member #

To my knowledge, there has never been a national (USA) fishing license; it's all state by state.

I get a year long license for the states I know I may be fishing in a lot, over the shorter term licenses (many states offer a 3day or 15 day license for a lot less than a year long license).

It's not really a headache, as most states have an easy online way to get and pay for licenses and there is most always a local trading post, bait shop, or sporting goods store close to good fishing areas that sells licenses on the spot.

Fish and game license fees help states tremendously in providing conservation and other funds aimed directly at responsible outdoor recreation, hunting, and fishing.

Here's what the US Fish & Wildlife Service says:

Thank you, Its been so long since I've bought a hunting a fishing license I forgot the bait shops will sell them. Thank you!

Reactions: Road

Enthusiast I

Lakeview, OR, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Batty
My knowledge is limited to Oregon, where I am a license agent for the department of fish and wildlife. In Oregon a nonresident can purchase an annual license or one and three day licenses. These can be purchased either through an agent (sporting goods store, some hardware stores are and convenience stores) or online. I assume most states have similar programs.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My knowledge is limited to Oregon, where I am a license agent for the department of fish and wildlife. In Oregon a nonresident can purchase an annual license or one and three day licenses. These can be purchased either through an agent (sporting goods store, some hardware stores are and convenience stores) or online. I assume most states have similar programs.
Did Oregon go back to paper licenses? My local POS had me get the ODFW app when I last purchased my license @ the POS in 2018, ever since I just use the app… which sucks because I don’t actually need to purchase the licenses… I have lifetime free license.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Bait shops, Walmart, bass pro, academy etc have licenses. Most states they can be good for a day or a year from purchase date . Many states like texas you can do it all online on the outdoor annual app.

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
Did Oregon go back to paper licenses? My local POS had me get the ODFW app when I last purchased my license @ the POS in 2018, ever since I just use the app… which sucks because I don’t actually need to purchase the licenses… I have lifetime free license.
Nope. Oregon just ditched paper licenses almost completely. All done via their app now. You can print out your license if you want, but fewer and fewer places sell them direct.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Nope. Oregon just ditched paper licenses almost completely. All done via their app now. You can print out your license if you want, but fewer and fewer places sell them direct.
That’s what I thought… which sucks because most of the places here on the east side of the state to hunt are without cell service, and I have yet to figure out how to download my portfolio onto my mobile device, and I don’t own a printer… I have yet to be checked since the new license system was implemented, but I know my day will come soon.

Enthusiast I

Lakeview, OR, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Batty
Oregon offers the choice of electronic or paper licenses. I sell almost exclusively paper since cell coverage is spotty at best in my region, and the customers who come to me rather than purchasing online neither understand nor trust the app. Justified, based on Oregon's history of rolling out websites before they are fully vetted.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
You have to get a license for each state you wish to fish in. Some states have one day licenses ,three or five and ten day licenses. Convenient that you don't have to buy a full years license for only three days of fishing.

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
Oregon offers the choice of electronic or paper licenses. I sell almost exclusively paper since cell coverage is spotty at best in my region, and the customers who come to me rather than purchasing online neither understand nor trust the app. Justified, based on Oregon's history of rolling out websites before they are fully vetted.
You do not need cell service to show your License on your phone. You just need it to download it once. I am sure you can find cell service once per year.

Best,

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m going to have to go into the local ODFW office and see if they can print off my tags and licenses for me… none of the POS offer printing here in my area of Oregon… not sure if running up to Wallow or Baker County might offer anything, but since the OFFW office for Eastern Oregon is right down the street, I will look there.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
The only problem is that out of state licenses are much more expensive than in state ones. If you can get them online it would be a money saver since you could buy one when you actually needed it instead of buying one when you drive by a Walmart and then end up not using it.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Years back I fished Yellowstone NP for free. All you needed to do was request the permit. Have no clue if they still do this. I do wish 'all' National's allowed this! Aa a retired Senior Traveler that has the Lifetime Pass it would be a great addition!

Badazzerus

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Gurley, AL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Collins
Member #

I have fished in quite a few states. the cost varies but i have paid $100.00 for 3 days. Got to research the state Laws. some also have a trout stamp you have to buy. some areas require a permit. Make sure to check steam regulations or you can get fined. I take a screen shot cause most places I go there is no service. I believe every state has online purchase. Keep those lines tight.