Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
I searched around the archives a bit but didn't see anything recent. My wife signed us up for a 3000 mile 10 stage rally (Baja XL) down to Cabo and back in late January. The rally starts in Tecate and ends in Tijuana. I had a few questions.

1. I sounds like Baja Bound is a good source for the temp insurance. Someone else recommended MexInsurance. I've heard there may be some issues if you have a bank loan/lease on the vehicle?
2. Is any paperwork needed ahead of time? Or just show up at the border with proof of insurance and fill out the paperwork to enter?
3. Can I cross the border with jerry cans full of fuel or do I have to fill them on the other side? Same question for coming back into the US?
4. I'm taking a gas truck this time but have read conflicting reports on whether low sulfur diesel is available in Baja. Some say it is since it comes from the US.
4. Larger camp knives may not be a good idea?
5. Are there any border crossing restrictions due to Covid?
6. So far I've heard Guadalupe Hot Springs, San Felipe, Pete's Camp, Coco's Corner are some favorite spots. Any others east or west that are cool spots to see?
7. How much time should I plan for the border crossing from US in Tecate and returning through Tijuana?

Thanks!

Dur66

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Hi,
I'm planning a trip when COVID is over. Here is what I've found out:
1. Baja Bound is a good place for insurance. You can't go wrong with them. I'm personally trying a place called the Mexican Insurance Store. Same policy, just cheaper.

2. If your vehicle has a lien holder, you will need a letter from from them. If not, the title and current registration will do. If you leave Baja and take the ferry to the mainland, you will need a vehicle permit. YOu will need your passport and a tourist card. It's erroneously called a visa, it's not.

3. DO NOT take jerry cans with fuel. I know what you mean. I'm really tempted to do that for my Jeep. I have an AEV fuel caddy. It blends in. I'm not going to do it. You might want to stop at Costco.

4. I would suggest researching the knife laws. I have a 3" Benchmade knife that I'm taking. If you're asked, say that you have a knife for cutting rope and fishing.

5. Check with the State Department for border restrictions. As of now, they are closed to "non-essential" travel if you're driving. If you're flying, that's a different story.

6. The hot springs is on my list. Make sure that you have a full tank and good directions.

7. There are web sites to track wait times. For going back up north, count on several hours.

An extra item, I've read on the forums that the police are getting terminals which allow you to pay your ticket on the spot. I would guess that most of Mexican law enforcement do not have it yet. The usual practice seems to be the confiscation of your front plates to ensure that you pay your ticket. I'm getting anti-tamper bolts for my license plates. I would figure that they do not have the right key to remove them. That way I do keep my plates. If I can a ticket, I'll pay it. I don't like the idea of someone taking my license plates. That's just me.

Anyone else care to add info? Is there anything that I might have missed?

Last edited:
Reactions: mick_n_ca

mick_n_ca

Rank II

Enthusiast I

California, USA
First Name
Mick
Last Name
G
Member #

Delkat - do you have link to event? Thank you

Looking to get out and have some fun snd enjoy truck more now that I have few more updates

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I searched around the archives a bit but didn't see anything recent. My wife signed us up for a 3000 mile 10 stage rally (Baja XL) down to Cabo and back in late January. The rally starts in Tecate and ends in Tijuana. I had a few questions.

1. I sounds like Baja Bound is a good source for the temp insurance. Someone else recommended MexInsurance. I've heard there may be some issues if you have a bank loan/lease on the vehicle?
2. Is any paperwork needed ahead of time? Or just show up at the border with proof of insurance and fill out the paperwork to enter?
3. Can I cross the border with jerry cans full of fuel or do I have to fill them on the other side? Same question for coming back into the US?
4. I'm taking a gas truck this time but have read conflicting reports on whether low sulfur diesel is available in Baja. Some say it is since it comes from the US.
4. Larger camp knives may not be a good idea?
5. Are there any border crossing restrictions due to Covid?
6. So far I've heard Guadalupe Hot Springs, San Felipe, Pete's Camp, Coco's Corner are some favorite spots. Any others east or west that are cool spots to see?
7. How much time should I plan for the border crossing from US in Tecate and returning through Tijuana?

Thanks!
That Rally sound lIkes fun. You’ll see a lot of Baja for sure.

Most years I spend more than 60 days in Baja mostly surfing, kayaking, fishing and general exploring. I was there for 2+ week in late Oct and Nov. I do love it .

Baja Bound is great, you might be able to get the same policy cheaper but being able to get help from a english speaker when you have a claim. If there is a lean on the truck you need a need a notarized release from the lean holder. Many don’t get this.

As for paper work, you’ll need to to get a tourist permit (FMM).You’ll go to the Mexican immigration office fill out the form and go next door to pay and go back to get it stamped. You can do it on line but you need the stamp from the immigration office anyway. You need a passport to get the FMM. If you do it on line, bring the form and the receipt of payment. You want a paper copy, I keep digital copy as backup. Nobody will check about your Ins. unless there a accident.

You can NOT CARRY GAS INTO MEXICO. The gas at the stations is from the US, bringing it back isn’t a problem.

I know a number or guys running new diesels in Baja no problems, the DEF can be hard to find however.

Camp knives are not a problem. A locking pocket knife can get you in trouble if somebody wants to give you trouble. I keep 8’ sheath knife in my door panel never had a issue.

Nobody is checking for COVID as you cross. They will check your temp and ask you to sanitize as you go into most business in Baja.

The missions are very cool, most are way off the highway. Bahia de Los Angeles, Bahia Asunción. Estero el Coyote, San Ignacio, Bahia Concepcion. To start with.

Crossing back is a crap shoot. Generally Tecate durning the week is faster most of the time but there is a hour drive back to SD. Crossing at TJ there is Otay and San Ysidro there are more lanes at SY, it can be quick or take hours. Stop and drain the kidneys before you get into the lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Delkat

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

If you want more info PM me. I am no expert but do have a lifelong love affair with Baja. The places you stared with are SF centered, there is much more then that.

monark192

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Let me know if you have any rally specific questions - I did it last time in 2019 and am going again in January. Are you in the Racing or Adventure category?

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
Let me know if you have any rally specific questions - I did it last time in 2019 and am going again in January. Are you in the Racing or Adventure category?
We are doing the adventure category with 2 other couples/teams, one of which did the rally in 2019. I don't personally know the couple that did it in '19 but plan to talk to them later this week. I think my biggest concern is the Tecate border crossing and having to spend a night in that town. My truck is open bed and I'm not sure what the security will be like if we stay in hotels some nights depending on where the rally goes. It sounds like they are changing the course to include less hotel/towns overnight and more remote dispersed camping due to Covid. I also heard you have to have a Covid test within 4 days of the start of the rally.

monark192

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

We had zero issues crossing into Tecate last time. First time staying in town so can't speak to the security at the hotel although if it is anything like last time, there will be several teams camping in the parking lot. Only hotel on route (before finish outside of TJ) is outside of Todos Santos - Cerritos Surf Town. We stayed there last time and they did have security at the entrance to the parking lot.

Have you seen the road book and the list of hotels that was released on the team site last week?

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
We had zero issues crossing into Tecate last time. First time staying in town so can't speak to the security at the hotel although if it is anything like last time, there will be several teams camping in the parking lot. Only hotel on route (before finish outside of TJ) is outside of Todos Santos - Cerritos Surf Town. We stayed there last time and they did have security at the entrance to the parking lot.

Have you seen the road book and the list of hotels that was released on the team site last week?
No, we are just getting all of our registration documents uploaded and haven't had access to the maps/downloads yet. I noticed they wanted to charge for the GPS info when we were paying our fees. Is that just for the race teams? I use Gaia and was hoping there would be a .gpx or .kml file they would make available. I also have a garmin (inreach) device they seem to reference in the "pay for gps data" menu on their fee schedule.

monark192

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

No, we are just getting all of our registration documents uploaded and haven't had access to the maps/downloads yet. I noticed they wanted to charge for the GPS info when we were paying our fees. Is that just for the race teams? I use Gaia and was hoping there would be a .gpx or .kml file they would make available. I also have a garmin (inreach) device they seem to reference in the "pay for gps data" menu on their fee schedule.
The maps they sell are optional. People have even used paper maps in the past. Keep in mind there is no route as such - just start and end locations (and sometimes points of interest between the two) for each day. We were in the race category last time so don't know exactly what info was provided each morning in the handouts to the Adventure teams but I imagine it provided some options for the day.

The last Rally was one of the best things I have ever done - can't see this year being any less epic even with the Covid challenges.