Rank I

Contributor III

Canada
First Name
JBL
Last Name
JBL
Hello fellow overlanders,
Planning a trip to Utah in a few weeks, 1st time visiting MOAB!
I'll be mostly in Moab region with the possibility of Monument Valley and Zion area.

1. Dispersed camping. ONLY allowed inside BLM territory? NO exceptions?
2. Dispersed camping. If i'm inside national park territory, am I not allowed to camp other than their campgrounds?
3. Any camping permits needed for dispersed camping? If so, where to buy?
4. Spare tire - I got same size spare but it's different brand/model. Would this be ok?
5. Out of all those trails out there, which trails would you pick for greatest view? I'm looking for a easy to moderate difficulty trail where I can get to with my stock Xterra with 285/70/17 tires, with the best view to camp.
6. Recommendations on OFFLINE capable map app? I'm thinking offline downloaded google maps and georeferenced map downloaded on avenza maps, anything else?

Thanks in advance,

Reactions: Wanderer351

AL Z.

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Sandy, Utah, USA
First Name
Alphonse
Last Name
Zoda
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM: KJ7LDJ GRMS: WSAS756
Service Branch
Veteran U.S.Army
Hello,
I camp in the Moab area frequently. There is loads of Dispersed camping around and no permit is needed. The only requirement is you cant setup camp within a 1/2 mile of the main road. You may want to look for spots on S.R 313. As far as APP's go try Ioverlander.

Hope this helps. HAPPY CAMPING!!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
National park’s backcountry vehicle camping sites are reservation only.
BLM sites are 1st come.
go on line and purchase two paper maps from “40 degrees Latitude”, one of Moab east the other of Moab west. These maps are a plethora of information including trail ratings and very accurate markings of the difficult sections of trail. Then route yourself . The first time for us we were completely unprepared for the experience. We did make our reservations the old fashioned way, phone calls & snail mail. We spent 3 weeks taking in and camping at Arches, The White Rim Trail, the Needles, and lots of stuff in between. Hmmm, it’s such a boring region that we’ve been going back each spring now for over 12 years, along with a couple of late September trips. Good luck

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
4. Spare tire - I got same size spare but it's different brand/model. Would this be ok?
6. Recommendations on OFFLINE capable map app? I'm thinking offline downloaded google maps and georeferenced map downloaded on avenza maps, anything else?
#4 Not a tire guy but this should not be an issue especially if used to get off the trail and to a place to fix/replace its flattened buddy.
#6 Gaia GPS is used by a lot of folks including myself. There are free and paid tiers, you have to pay to get offline map ability, but the paid tiers have lots and lots of different maps to choose from.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Shafer Canyon Trail is a bit scary but SO fun - do it! I don’t think you’d want to camp in the middle of Shafer (it’s a one lane dirt trail cut into the side of a 1500 foot sandstone cliff), but at the bottom there’s dispersed camping along Potash Road. I recall a spot above the River that was very scenic. Also along Potash are dinosaur tracks and a hike to two beautiful arches (Corona, Bowtie). You can also head south out of Moab to the La Sal mountains - check with the Forest Service/Moab District for specific info.
I will tell you that the Moab Diner was our favorite breakfast spot in town. Excellent food and fast service.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
+1 on the Shafer trail. It is in Canyonlands and you need to pick up a permit to do it. Unless things have changed in the last 3 years the permits are free--they are just a way to keep the trail from getting overcrowded. It is an awesome view. And if you take the White RIm trail to Lathrop canyon you can get all the way down to the bank of the Colorado River. Great place to have lunch. However, no camping without reservations down there.

For the sake of your own sanity, go into this trip with the idea that you are collecting notes for the next time you come. You are not going to be able to accomplish anywhere near as much as you are going to want to do. Much better to face that up front and just relax and savor that small percentage that you are able to do. And know that you are never going to be able to get pictures that do justice to the reality.

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

If you're up to it, the White Rim Trail - starting or ending at Shaffer Switchbacks and ending or starting at Mineral Bottom - is a really good and scenic trail. It'll challenge your truck, but you'll both make it fine. There are incredible views of both the Green and Colorado Rivers. You WILL need a permit to drive it AND to camp on it, and you really should take 2 or 3 days so you can enjoy the scenery and experience. It can be done in one, but you'll only see the dirt track in front of you - no time for smelling the roses.

Another trail that might be fun - and that has great scenery - is Fins 'n' Things. Again, it'll challenge your Xterra, but if you choose the right lines you'll be fine. This gives you spectacular panoramic views out in to Arches National Park and lots of classic slick rock driving.

Have a GREAT trip!

Reactions: Ubiety

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

I just came back in October. I did it in a F150 with skid plates and 34 inch tires. You’re gonna want some kind of under body protection

Up Hurrah pass to chicken corners is absolute blast it’s a one day deal completely doable in a stock vehicle..

Another one is potash Road up Shafer and then down Mom Canyon that is a Loop it’ll put you back on the main road to potash again another 8 Hour Dr. absolutely gorgeous Shafer switchbacks suck I hate heights terrified of that I’ll never do it again

The road through arches to eye of the whale out the Tower rock and then back up to skyline arch. That can get tricky there’s some big hill climbs that are good grip but the very last little bit coming back over to skyline is technical and tricky but you can bypass it if you just go back out to Eye of the whale.. again another day trip

I also did a trip from Moab all the way out to Dewey Bridge then came back and did onion Creek, onion Creek is my absolute favorite trail I have ever run anywhere ever as far as I know you can camp when she get up into the valley. They are going to try to figure out how they got cattle up into that valley once you get in there!!

Also don’t forget to go up in the San Rafael swell and visit goblin Valley. That was absolutely gorgeous I got to goblin Valley just as the sun was coming up

Also a trip South Of Moab up through LaSal‘s and back down Castle Valley is an amazing fun couple our trip

Here’s the link to my YouTube page I’ve gotten all the videos except for goblin Valley done I’ve got to get that one finished up

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

My wife and I drove thru the 5 national parks last summer. In a few weeks, I plan to head back to SE Utah by myself. I have a route planned. However, based on my experience there last time, I suspect I’ll deviate from it. It seems every few miles on the road in that area you change planets. I fully expect beautiful scenery and so fun roads.

I do not even plan to go to Moab,
though. That place was a madhouse last summer and we had to wait until evening to get into Arches due to the crowds (turns out the gate is actually open on the honor pay system before the pay stations open).

Potash to Schafer is an awesome ride. Be sure to stop at Thelma and Louise Point.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Hello fellow overlanders,
Planning a trip to Utah in a few weeks, 1st time visiting MOAB!
I'll be mostly in Moab region with the possibility of Monument Valley and Zion area.

1. Dispersed camping. ONLY allowed inside BLM territory? NO exceptions?
2. Dispersed camping. If i'm inside national park territory, am I not allowed to camp other than their campgrounds?
3. Any camping permits needed for dispersed camping? If so, where to buy?
5. Out of all those trails out there, which trails would you pick for greatest view? I'm looking for a easy to moderate difficulty trail where I can get to with my stock Xterra with 285/70/17 tires, with the best view to camp.

Thanks in advance,
What @MOAK said...but...do they make DeLorme Gazetteer for that park? Or the state? That might also be a helpful and inexpensive choice.

AL Z.

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Sandy, Utah, USA
First Name
Alphonse
Last Name
Zoda
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM: KJ7LDJ GRMS: WSAS756
Service Branch
Veteran U.S.Army
You May want to look at Mineral bottom rd (BLM 129). It’s not very scenic but loads of free camping.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

For the sake of your own sanity, go into this trip with the idea that you are collecting notes for the next time you come. You are not going to be able to accomplish anywhere near as much as you are going to want to do. Much better to face that up front and just relax and savor that small percentage that you are able to do. And know that you are never going to be able to get pictures that do justice to the reality.
During our drive through Badlands, Gallatin Gateway, Big Sky and Yellowstone, we were constantly pointing and saying "wow, get a picture of THAT!" while we were driving. And only even got a picture half the time we wanted. And only some of those gave justice to the subject. Even when we were stopped and hiking, we couldn't get all the pictures or all the places we wanted.

So we said the same... ow we know where to stop or what to see or where to get the camera ready for NEXT time

Reactions: Tundracamper

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Moab is magical, pure and simple. Where ever you choose to go, don't be in a rush.....soak it in.....you'll be back.

1. Jailhouse Cafe for breakfast......order whatever strikes you, but DO NOT MISS OUT ON THE BACON!!!! It's a religious experience.
2. Lunch/post Fins N Things trail run, Milt's Stop and Eat. Burger, Onion Rings, and the Milk Shake of your choice. It's outside seating, there will be a line, and it IS worth the wait.
3. Pasta Jay's for dinner, it's all good.

Shafer switchbacks. Go in from Potash Road. It's beautiful, it's a "short version" of the whole White Rim Road loop. You'll see most of what the loop looks like and get to do the switchbacks, have a break at the top, and head back down the way you went in.....it's worth seeing both directions. You won't need a pass by doing it this way. You'll thank me later :wink:

Have a blast, I know you will!

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

BadMC, We just returned from a 6 states trip, where we spent 3 nights in greater MOAB! If you plan to visit Arches - you'll need to purchase "Timed Permit Entry" $ 2.00, in advanced, before Park fees. The campground is wonderful. Canyonlands is a huge area, it's impossible to see it all in two days. Island in the Sky is in the North, Needles in 65 miles south and west. You need to purchase a Trails Pass for the White Rim Trail and overnight Permits to camp in specific areas. GREAT VIEWS. Monument Valley is run by the Navaho Nation, and the dirt trial is a 3 hour loop, rough, by lots of non-4X try it. We had to yank a stuck Nisson out of a hole. Zion is wonderful. It's rough in foul weather...
What part of Canada are you from? There's lots to see going south to the Moab area! David

Reactions: Tundracamper

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Shafer switchbacks. Go in from Potash Road. It's beautiful, it's a "short version" of the whole White Rim Road loop. You'll see most of what the loop looks like and get to do the switchbacks, have a break at the top, …
I’ll concur with this. We didn’t know any better and came in via Potash. No gates or anything. When we exited up on the rim, there was a long line of cars to get in. We had a park pass, so the fee was covered anyway. Just something to consider.

Reactions: orange01z28

orange01z28

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Queen Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bennett
#6 Gaia GPS is used by a lot of folks including myself. There are free and paid tiers, you have to pay to get offline map ability, but the paid tiers have lots and lots of different maps to choose from.
I want to 2nd Gaia. I've tried some of the other ones and Gaia simply works the best for me. Pay for a TrailsOffroad subscription and you can download every trail track you'll ever need

Reactions: zgfiredude